Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Aug 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1393930)   #1
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian Herta and the "chrome horn"

Infinion is an awful place for high-torque open wheel racing. A bit like Hungaroring; narrow, no passing opportunities. I don't remember a single pass for position on the track. Total parade if not for bone-head Briscoe. You could just FEEL the frustration in Herta's cockpit as he was trapped behind Matsura lap after lap. Twice he got his nose up under Matsura's gearbox in an attempt to punt him off (before the inevitable happened). It was the singular most entertaining part of the race....

If the IRL wants to go road racing, do it in a place like Cleveland; with 300 foot wide corners and long straights with wide braking zones.

I love Infineon for bikes, but open wheel cars.....nope!
Old 29 Aug 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1393934)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Infineon is a fabulous track just to watch cars going round, overtaking is a side issue really.

I loved it, great to watch.

A procession at Hungaroring, for example, is mainly unbearable because the track is bland and lacks character.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1393935)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watkins Glen will be excellent though - it'll really separate the men/women from the boys/girls
Old 29 Aug 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1393947)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or Woman/Girl....

I can't wait for Watkins, terrific track, always has been........still has a danger element too.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1393961)   #5
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you haven't seen bikes at Infineon, you owe it to yourself to look. I'm a late-comer to Superbikes, but it's everything open wheel racing isn't (at least at Sears Point). Knee draggin, shoulder bumpin' elbow to elbow racing in 3 dimensions ! The most cut-throat racing I've ever seen with multiple passes for position every lap. Heart stopping ! As if to underscore this point, the stands are packed during bike races; but much less so last weekend.

The comment about the Glen is right on the money. I suspect it will be VERY well attended.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 06:50 (Ref:1394224)   #6
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were alot of passes for position back in the pack, they just weren't shown on TV. Also, they might want to run the NASCAR/ALMS hairpin, even though its a little more dangerous, its also alot wider and has definite opportunities to pass on. The Atlantics ran that course when they were there with ALMS and didn't seem to have a problem.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1394604)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Bikes are different though.

You are guaranteed a great race with bikes pretty much wherever you go.

Cars are far less compatible with certain circuits.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1394621)   #8
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did you see the version of infineon they used. They took away only good passing zone by using the motorcycle course. Blame the guy who picked that configuration.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1394977)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pass for position? Enge on Kannan.

I was really surprised to see Herta using the chrome horn. I can't remember how many times he lost of by being meek in the past, notiable several times with Zanardi. It was one of his biggest weaknesses. Now we see him punting other cars?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1395044)   #10
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe he is getting grumpy in his old(er) age?
Old 31 Aug 2005, 04:42 (Ref:1395143)   #11
NJDMONEY
Rookie

NJDMONEY has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxr
did you see the version of infineon they used. They took away only good passing zone by using the motorcycle course. Blame the guy who picked that configuration.
It was chosen for safety considerations.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1395867)   #12
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How the heck did Dan Wheldon make it from restarting 17th to the lead befor breaking down then?
Old 3 Sep 2005, 05:17 (Ref:1397708)   #13
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he was the last car to pit
Old 7 Sep 2005, 03:05 (Ref:1400996)   #14
IronLion
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
IronLion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFreak
Infinion is an awful place for high-torque open wheel racing. A bit like Hungaroring; narrow, no passing opportunities. I don't remember a single pass for position on the track. Total parade if not for bone-head Briscoe. You could just FEEL the frustration in Herta's cockpit as he was trapped behind Matsura lap after lap. Twice he got his nose up under Matsura's gearbox in an attempt to punt him off (before the inevitable happened). It was the singular most entertaining part of the race....

If the IRL wants to go road racing, do it in a place like Cleveland; with 300 foot wide corners and long straights with wide braking zones.

I love Infineon for bikes, but open wheel cars.....nope!
Got to agree, from tv it all looked awful.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1406043)   #15
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Actually, Bryan made a beautiful pass of Sam Hornish within the first lap or so -- but after everyones tires are up to temperature it becomes extremely hard to pass on that track. As far as the chrome horn -- I just think Bryan was trying to get as close as he could in that turn to increase his chances of passing down the following straight section and/or was trying to force the other driver into a mistake. These road courses where passing is extremely difficult can be frustrating to watch if you have a driver you root for who you know is being held up by a car that is clearly slower. I believe every road course should have at least a few excellent passing zones.