Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jan 2001, 11:56 (Ref:60591)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!

Gets a thumbs-up from me!
Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:05 (Ref:60595)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
From the relaunched BMW.WilliamsF1 site:

The BMW WilliamsF1 Team today unveiled its' 2001 challenger, the FW23, at the Silverstone circuit in Northamptonshire (UK). The FW23 will contest the 2001 season with a clear target to close the gap against the established front runners and to defend the team's third place in the FIA Formula One Constructors World Championship. A team led by Geoff Willis (Chief Aerodynamicist) and Gavin Fisher (Chief Designer) designed the chassis that is being powered by a new BMW V10 engine. Drivers Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya will contest the 2001 season with test driver Marc Gene playing an important role in the FW23's development over the course of the year.

"Much is expected of the partnership in 2001 and everybody at the BMW WilliamsF1 Team is aware of this important responsibility," says Frank Williams, Team Principal.

For 2001 the BMW WilliamsF1 Team have the challenge of new aerodynamic limitations (the largest change since '97), substantially more rigorous structural and impact tests, a new engine and a new tyre partner in Michelin. Geoff Willis explains: "The FW23 is, in concept, an evolution of the FW22 with developments and improvements for the new engine installation and gearbox and a large number of changes reflecting the impact of the new regulations."

Patrick Head, Technical Director of WilliamsF1, goes on to add: "The FW23 will build on the progress made over the last two years and have a visual similarity to the successful FW22 2000 car. The aerodynamics of the car have been optimised around the new regulations, and we hope that this car and engine will permit our drivers to challenge for race wins in 2001." Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director, says "the new smaller and lighter engine from BMW will assist with the chassis dynamics as well as providing greater power."

"It is highly unlikely that we will be able to completely close the gap with the established front-runners in our second season with WilliamsF1," says BMW Motorsport Director Gerhard Berger. "But we want to improve our performance so as to be ready and waiting to pounce as soon as one of the Ferraris or McLarens run into problems.

"We had a reasonably successful season last year, particularly considering it was our first with BMW, " says Gavin Fisher. "However, it was clear that we still needed to make considerable progress to regularly compete with, and ultimately beat, McLaren and Ferrari."
Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:07 (Ref:60597)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Another picture:

Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:08 (Ref:60598)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
Gets a thumbs-up from me!
Me to! - It looks nice
Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:09 (Ref:60599)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Ralf's Girl, here is the thrid picture (the one that didn't work)

Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:11 (Ref:60600)   #6
F1FansClub
Racer

F1FansClub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check my BMW Williams Launch topic for some even better pics

Ally :beerface:
Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:15 (Ref:60602)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Cheers DNQ.
Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:16 (Ref:60603)   #8
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yukk!!!
The scheme totally chops the car into three distinct sections. It has to be the worst scheme yet unveiled, totally insensitive to the contours of the car, my dog could have done better. I much preferred last years lively even with it’s faults. It reminds me of the 1991 Minardi livery. The only team to have improved thus far has to be BAR.

I do not mind that it looks horrible as long as Juan wins the Championship in it....
Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:24 (Ref:60607)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Worse than that godawful Jordan? Surely not...
Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:24 (Ref:60609)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Yukk!!! my dog could have done better.
What type of dog is he? A poodle? A Bulldog?

Old 27 Jan 2001, 12:36 (Ref:60612)   #11
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have two dogs, both *****es.. the more visually literate one, Morgan is a terrier and could have come up with a better scheme

It's not the colours I hate but the visual path that the new livery creates over the car just rubs against the form of the car. The logos have been kept in the blue in an effort to make it look as if there are less of theme but the whole thing looks cluttered to my eye
Old 27 Jan 2001, 13:02 (Ref:60614)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
No, i don't like it either. There's too much white, like on the Jaguar.

the colour scheme is ok i guess, but its just all over the gaff.
Old 27 Jan 2001, 15:42 (Ref:60629)   #13
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
very disapointing.
not sexy.
retro but not nostalgic.

looks more irl then f1.

ive taken an immiediate and overwellming dislike for it.

Old 27 Jan 2001, 16:10 (Ref:60634)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind it, but I preferred last year's design. bodsquad is right, it is a more North American Style paint scheme. There are a few Cart and IRL(I think) Chassises with a similar patters.

One good thing about it is that is distinct on the Formula One grid, so hopefully Murray will not have his usual troubles this year.
Old 27 Jan 2001, 16:47 (Ref:60639)   #15
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer it this way...

Old 27 Jan 2001, 16:48 (Ref:60640)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree somewhat with Tris, I think it falls apart where the blue returns acroos the top of the sidepod to the cowling. It just doesn't flow. Its a hamdsome car though, I like the unusually steep angle of the tabs in front of the rear wheels.

And the blue is really blue, not nearly black (or is this a trick of the photo lights?).

Old 27 Jan 2001, 18:08 (Ref:60645)   #17
Orange
Racer

Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BORING!
doesn't look fast like last years, it just looks kind of chaotic. It doesn't need to have a lot on it to make it look good (witness the BAR livery) but this one has no "chemistry"
*sigh*
Old 27 Jan 2001, 18:36 (Ref:60655)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't really like it when I first saw a picture of it, but now that I've seen a bigger picture, it looks better. That blue is a little bit reminiscent of Williams in the past, but it's by no means the best looking car on the grid.

Sparky -
Old 27 Jan 2001, 20:44 (Ref:60667)   #19
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know when something is really ugly, sometimes that makes it more beautifull. Well, I think the Williams is a perfect example of that. When I look at it my mind says "No way!" but my heart says "Yes yes yes!!". *Sigh*

Did anyone notice the thingy under the nose, it looks like a little air intake. Jordan has it too, but bigger and wider.
Old 27 Jan 2001, 21:48 (Ref:60672)   #20
jaguar1
Rookie

jaguar1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams launch

Pity they couldn't get their server to work better for the launch after all the hype!!

Intel as a business partner??? Doesn't say much for the preparation.

jaguar1
Old 27 Jan 2001, 21:55 (Ref:60674)   #21
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jaguar1, let me be the first to welcome you to this forum. Have fun and enjoy the discussions in the friendly forum that is 10 Tenths! No prize for guessing which team is your favourite methinks...
Old 27 Jan 2001, 22:07 (Ref:60675)   #22
jaguar1
Rookie

jaguar1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by R
jaguar1, let me be the first to welcome you to this forum. Have fun and enjoy the discussions in the friendly forum that is 10 Tenths! No prize for guessing which team is your favourite methinks...
You are absolutely right here - definitely no prizes<GGG>

Old 27 Jan 2001, 23:59 (Ref:60685)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
My Chihuahua

I have a long haired Chihuahua - she is a tricolour and she is erally beautiful. She has a lovely white chest, and white paws, beautiful white, tan and black hair. She is trulli lovable.
As for the colour scheme of the Williams BMW, I can't understand why everyone here is focussing on the colour scheme. We have a new chassis, a new engine which is lighter, smaller and more powerful, we have new tyres, and we have a new driver lineup. So why are you guys focussing on the colour scheme? That isn't going to make the car go any faster - it will only benefit Murray if he can tell the difference between the Williams and the Ferrari. I think the key this year will rest between the Michelin tyres (I have Michelin Pilots on my Volvo ) and the reliability of the engine. Everything else is in place for Frank to make a huge comeback. The drivers are very good, the chassis will go, and if the Michelins can get the car on front row, it will be down to the reliability of the engine to get the cars into the winners circle. Everybody is saying that they hope to bridge the gap to the silver and red cars. Lets get past that!! Frank is a winner, he has won with different combinations of engines and car before, and he will win again.
Old 28 Jan 2001, 01:16 (Ref:60689)   #24
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dogs?

I have a Border Collie, Sparky is his name, and his black and white livery remains largely unchanged from year to year.
This allows us to concentrate on his performance and development.

Let's paws for thought, and hope that Frankie the BMW doesn't turn out to be an old dog, running at the tail of the pack.

I'll stop now!
Old 28 Jan 2001, 01:29 (Ref:60691)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i thought it reminded me of Greg Moore's CART design in 97, just different colours...and sponsors....

I think it looks nice...but not from ALL angles