Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 2 Jun 2004, 10:24 (Ref:991288)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
34 Year On

Today, June 2nd, marks the 34th anniversary of the passing of Bruce Leslie McLaren - a humble, quietly spoken Kiwi who went to Europe and eventually took on the world with his own Formula One cars, Can-Am cars, and Indy Cars.

Bruce was the complete package of engineer, designer, team manager, and a more than competent driver, and was indeed the ONLY manufacturer to contest the Formula One World Championship, the Can-Am Series, and the Indy 500. This record still stands today and at the time, the cars that contested each championship were by and large competitive.

Bruce's death is one of irony, perhaps even double jeopardy, as the marshall bollard that he hit when the rear wing failed on the McLaren Can-Am car that he was testing was meant to have been removed.
Moreover, Bruce wasn't meant to be in the car that day - Denny Hulme was, but couldn't drive as he was recovering from a racing incident (burnt hands if I remember rightly).

The legacy that this man left behind still bears his name today and is one of the most successful Formula One teams in the world today.

As June 2 passes us by, I am sure that people the world over will be remembering a great man of huge achievements - not least by Chris Amon at Scott's Ferry, near Bulls, NZ; Bob McMurray at Dairy Flat, NZ; or Eion S. Young of no real fixed abode, but most likely the Barley Mow.

May we all salute a true champion!
Old 2 Jun 2004, 13:58 (Ref:991531)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
34 years. And of the names you mention Denny is sadly no longer with us.

Although people know the name McLaren it is likely that the current fans will not be aware of the origins of the team.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 17:49 (Ref:991797)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the best things Ron Dennis did when he took over McLaren was keeping the name.

Rest in peace, Bruce.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 11:49 (Ref:993760)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ron still holds the McLaren name in high regard, and indeed the honour and memory of Bruce. Bruce's family were officially invited over to Woking when the McLaren F1 road car was launched.
What a truly memorable occasion to see the reunity of Bruce's family with the team he started.

Thank you both for your kind words, but most of all thanks to Bruce for leaving such a legacy. I would love to have seen Bruce - the designer - go head to head with Colin Chapman in more latter years. Even today, against Adrian Newey, Rory Burn(Spelling??), Ross Brawn, and the talented engineering bunch in F1....Bruce would have been close, for sure.

As a complete all-rounder, there was really only him and perhaps Sir Jack Brabham.
Old 4 Jun 2004, 14:13 (Ref:993916)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hats off to Bruce's memory
Old 26 Jun 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1016936)   #6
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here here
Old 29 Jun 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1020050)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce was clearly one of the greatest of many great men who competed in racing in those days. At least the anme and the legacy live on so proudly.