Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 4 Oct 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1423527)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"The Bear" - Denny Hulme

Today marks 13 years since we all watched the famous Great Race from Mount Panorama, Bathurst, Australia, and the the sad and sorry sight of a Benson and Hedges BMW bouncing along the wall as inside it began the end of the life of the legendary race car driver we all knew as Denny Hulme.

It is so hard to believe that time passes so fast and that Denny is even really gone. He was reasonably unassuming and hated attention - but he sure loved racing. Not many drivers can say that they have competed in Indy Cars, Formula One, and Can-Am cars in their career, but Denny did them all, and often in the same year.

The Bruce and Denny Show - as the Can-Am Series was known - was legendary in North America, and the sound of those monster growling engines almost seem a fitting way to remember and pay tribute to "The Bear".

Dennis Clive Hulme - New Zealand's only Formula One World Champion (1967) went out doing what he loved most: Enjoying the competition of professional motorsport. What would be a better way to go out if your number was up than to be racing on one of the world's best circuits in one of the best cars of the day....

....He was one of the best drivers!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1423671)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rest In Peace
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1423680)   #3
fordlover
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, AUstralia
fordlover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to think that most of his life he was flirting with danger and he died of a heart attack.

Rest in Peace Denny Hulme, a true champion
Old 5 Oct 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1424080)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice Words...

Very nicely put JDI...

I will spend a moment thinking of the great Denny when I get to Bathurst later today (hopefully )
Old 6 Oct 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1425737)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't believe it was that long ago. RIP, Denny 'The Bear'
Old 8 Oct 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1427023)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
was an amazing day.

but hey I look at it this way.

look at the skill and commitment of the man he wrestel that BMW to a halt while having heart attack at the fastest part of the track he made damm sure no one else got invloved in an accident (as it surely would have been a big one)

that to me anyway shows the dedication of the man and the charisma to fight to the very end.

was a very sad day and I for one miss Denny heaps , I never saw any of his F1 days or other stuff but only his last few years driving a touring car and enjoyed it immensly.

i miss him and hope that he is well wherever he is
Old 15 Oct 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1434589)   #7
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ironic to think that although he was at the wheel of a racing car, he was the first World Champion to die of natural causes..