Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Dec 2020, 11:54 (Ref:4023048)   #276
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
While for Tsunoda, a bad season can ruin his F1 career. He is talented, but I doubt he is ready.
Drivers used to go to F1 from Formula Renault or Formula Ford, Mr. Raikkonen and Mr. Button for instance. As a top 3 finisher in Formula 2, surely Tsunoda is more than ready?

While Mazepin is ready as long as his chequebook is!
Old 15 Dec 2020, 12:04 (Ref:4023049)   #277
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Drivers used to go to F1 from Formula Renault or Formula Ford, Mr. Raikkonen and Mr. Button for instance.
I think the difference there is that those drivers had multiple tests in an F1 car prior to a team committing to sign them. At those tests, they showed their ability.

In the case of Tsunoda, it seems like the deicsion has already been made before anyone has seen how quick he can be in F1 machinery.

We've gone from - show your racecraft in a lower fomula, show your speed in an F1 car, sign for an F1 drive.
To - show your racecraft in a lower formula, sign for an F1 drive, hope that you can be fast in F1......
Old 15 Dec 2020, 12:27 (Ref:4023055)   #278
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Drivers used to go to F1 from Formula Renault or Formula Ford, Mr. Raikkonen and Mr. Button for instance.
Err, no.

Button went to F1 from top-level F3.

Same as Hakkinen, Senna, Bottas, Kvyat, Brundle, M Verstappen, J Verstappen, J Magnussen, Stroll, and many more.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 14:09 (Ref:4023069)   #279
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think the difference there is that those drivers had multiple tests in an F1 car prior to a team committing to sign them. At those tests, they showed their ability.
Testing with a current car is not allowed anymore, so what can you do?

Tsunoda has already done a private test in the 2018 Toro Rosso.

Meanwhile in the 2020 car test, experienced Buemi put the RB the wall, while Tsunoda kept the AT on the track! So that's promising so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In the case of Tsunoda, it seems like the deicsion has already been made before anyone has seen how quick he can be in F1 machinery.
Of course. Honda are keen, it will be important for the arrangements of Red Bull taking over the Honda F1 factory at Milton-Keynes, and Tsunoda is not a no-hoper by any means... So what else is there to discuss?
Old 15 Dec 2020, 14:51 (Ref:4023076)   #280
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Honda is also fully committed next year (even if it is their last). I fully expect them to bring more power unit developments. I believe they had some that considered bringing this year, but decided to hold off to next.

So they need to keep Honda happy. Also Tsunoda at AT next year, may be the outcome of prior arrangements that RBR may feel are unwise to undo at this point. And to be honest, why not put him in place of Kvyat?

Richard
Old 15 Dec 2020, 16:03 (Ref:4023096)   #281
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Any laptimes yet?

Quote:
Meanwhile in the 2020 car test, experienced Buemi put the RB the wall, while Tsunoda kept the AT on the track! So that's promising so far.

He's just trying too hard to pretend he's a young driver.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 19:44 (Ref:4023130)   #282
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
My personal opinion is that for Tsunoda and Mazepin (maybe even for Mick) it's too early to make their debuts.
Haas would have needed an experienced driver, because that car is just not okay, according to what Grosjean said, and two rookies will have no idea what to do with it.
While for Tsunoda, a bad season can ruin his F1 career. He is talented, but I doubt he is ready. Both Kvyat and Albon would be a better choice(of course Tsunoda isn't confirmed, but it's just a matter of time)
Haas have had experienced drivers for their entire time in F1, and they've been going backwards for a while now.
Of course, by 'experienced drivers' only the right experienced drivers matter, the rest it seems to make no difference whether you have the wrong experienced driver or a rookie, in developmental terms.
Old 15 Dec 2020, 19:47 (Ref:4023132)   #283
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yes I think so too.

The only reasons Tsunoda would get that drive must be either financially or technically motivated in terms of Honda.

Some rave about him but he is not F1 material yet on ability afaiac.
Of course, the fact that he's finished 3rd in the premier feeder series is irrelevant
Old 15 Dec 2020, 20:04 (Ref:4023134)   #284
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Of course, the fact that he's finished 3rd in the premier feeder series is irrelevant
3rd in his first season, best rookie and just 2 points from second

Yeah, totaly irrelevant
Old 15 Dec 2020, 20:43 (Ref:4023141)   #285
krzysiek_aleks
Rookie

krzysiek_aleks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Honda is also fully committed next year (even if it is their last). I fully expect them to bring more power unit developments. I believe they had some that considered bringing this year, but decided to hold off to next.

So they need to keep Honda happy. Also Tsunoda at AT next year, may be the outcome of prior arrangements that RBR may feel are unwise to undo at this point. And to be honest, why not put him in place of Kvyat?
I know I will repeat others, but, yeah, 3rd in F2 ain't nothing. Yes, this will keep Honda happy and possibly help to find some "partner" (akhem Mugen akhem) to keep their engines in the future. But Tsunoda looks like a real deal. 3rd in his debut season (Schumacher and Ilott were in there 2nd). I wasn't sure he'll be able to fight for something bigger (Carlin + not so many seasons in formulas aren't greatest combination), but he did surprisingly good. I'm sad that Kvyat will be gone, but that's just Red Bull and Helmut Marko, baby.
Old 16 Dec 2020, 00:20 (Ref:4023165)   #286
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Worse drivers have won it in the past Hawks!
Old 16 Dec 2020, 09:02 (Ref:4023201)   #287
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
so It's now official: Tuki Tsnunoda replacing Kvyat

https://www.scuderiaalphatauri.com/e...phatauri-2021/

also confirmed with Kvyat beeing replaced again: Max Verstappen will be winning the next race

Last edited by steve nielsen; 16 Dec 2020 at 09:29.
Old 16 Dec 2020, 10:24 (Ref:4023209)   #288
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wish him best of luck. Been a while since we've had a Japanese driver in the series, last of course was Kobayashi in 2014, although Naoki Yamamoto did take part in last year's Japanese GP FP. Kvyat has done alright this year, but has more than enough chances. Let's see what Naoki can bring to the table, he's looked quite handy in F2
Old 16 Dec 2020, 11:30 (Ref:4023224)   #289
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Worse drivers have won it in the past Hawks!
That is undeniably true, although those sort of drivers haven't tended to have a rookie campaign anywhere near as good as Tsunoda's.

He's clearly talented and on a great run of form, and as the other two drivers who could have the seat (Albon and Kvyat) are either in bad form or have proven to be average, why not roll the dice?
It he's not good enough, there are other drivers who can be slotted in (the two above, or one or two other RB juniors who may have the licence points by the end of 2021), so I don't see that RB has anything to lose really by promoting Tsunoda.
Old 16 Dec 2020, 11:31 (Ref:4023225)   #290
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree it’s worth taking a chance, especially as it keeps both Red Bull and Honda happy. Maybe he won’t set the world on fire, but I don’t expect him to be anything less than decent
Old 16 Dec 2020, 14:14 (Ref:4023255)   #291
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I think that's just more evidence that this years Red Bull was a very 'snappy' car - that looked very similar to the way the car behaved for Max and Alex at times this season. It seemed to go from "all ok" to "lost the back end and flying off the circuit" very quickly with no chance to catch it. If anything that accident probably helps Albon.
Old 16 Dec 2020, 14:35 (Ref:4023261)   #292
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I agree. In onboards Mercedes, even at very similar lap time, looks like it's on rails in comparison.
Old 16 Dec 2020, 15:01 (Ref:4023268)   #293
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I think that's just more evidence that this years Red Bull was a very 'snappy' car - that looked very similar to the way the car behaved for Max and Alex at times this season. It seemed to go from "all ok" to "lost the back end and flying off the circuit" very quickly with no chance to catch it. If anything that accident probably helps Albon.
Juri Vips did not have those problems
Old 17 Dec 2020, 00:38 (Ref:4023355)   #294
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Juri Vips did not have those problems
No but would he have been driving it on the edge to try and get the best out of it like the regular pair?
Old 17 Dec 2020, 07:01 (Ref:4023374)   #295
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
No but would he have been driving it on the edge to try and get the best out of it like the regular pair?

Vips was 5 tenths faster than Buemi
Old 17 Dec 2020, 09:03 (Ref:4023377)   #296
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Vips was 5 tenths faster than Buemi
but still 1.5secs off the pace.

and over 2 secs off Albons fastest lap of the weekend.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 09:54 (Ref:4023387)   #297
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Did they use 2021 tires or 2020?

Either way we don't really know the compounds, fuel load and other details of the testing programme. This is not a hotlap competition. You don't expect Alonso to blitz the whole field with a Renault next year, do you?
Old 17 Dec 2020, 10:08 (Ref:4023393)   #298
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
but still 1.5secs off the pace.

and over 2 secs off Albons fastest lap of the weekend.
you are missing the point to this reaction, it was about if Buemi was pushing harder than Vips
Old 17 Dec 2020, 10:16 (Ref:4023394)   #299
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Roll on next season. Analysing pre-season testing is difficult enough, but post-season analysis is pretty much impossible.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 10:58 (Ref:4023399)   #300
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I see Louie Camilleri left Ferrari just before Abu Dahbi, I think this this will have serious implications to Binotto and the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfBIw40ats

Doubt if whoever follows him will be quite as complacent with the constant failure.