Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2020, 15:18 (Ref:4010643)   #201
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Only benefit I can see of Russell taking a year out is if Hamilton retires at the end of 2021, then Russell could end up Merc
Old 22 Oct 2020, 08:57 (Ref:4011930)   #202
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
So, its now confirmed that both Haas drivers will not be back with the team next season. Frankly, I'm surprised that it has taken the team this long to get rid of them.

Perez would appear to be a good fit - Perhaps alongside one of the up and coming Ferrari drivers - Schumacher?
Old 22 Oct 2020, 09:21 (Ref:4011936)   #203
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
So, its now confirmed that both Haas drivers will not be back with the team next season. Frankly, I'm surprised that it has taken the team this long to get rid of them.

Perez would appear to be a good fit - Perhaps alongside one of the up and coming Ferrari drivers - Schumacher?
There are strange rumours linking Checo to Williams with Russell making way! If that does happen, do Mercedes know something we don't?

Apparently Mazepin definitely has one of the Haas seats and Schumacher will take the other one, only if Alfa keep both current drivers. I would think that daft as Kimi and Gio are hardly tearing things up?

I don't think Haas would bee a good move for Mick Schu.
Old 22 Oct 2020, 13:20 (Ref:4011974)   #204
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Will be interesting now that the FIA have changed the Superlicence requirements due to the circumstances of this year

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...1-superlicence
Old 22 Oct 2020, 13:38 (Ref:4011979)   #205
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for K-Mag. I think he is underrated, I doubt either a Mazepin, an Ilott, or even a Mick Schumacher could do a better job than him.

On the other hand, if Perez goes to Williams, can't Russell go to Haas? I recall Steiner always appriciated him back in his F2 days.
Old 22 Oct 2020, 13:51 (Ref:4011980)   #206
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
I feel sorry for K-Mag. I think he is underrated, I doubt either a Mazepin, an Ilott, or even a Mick Schumacher could do a better job than him.

On the other hand, if Perez goes to Williams, can't Russell go to Haas? I recall Steiner always appriciated him back in his F2 days.
Is George not officially a Mercedes contracted driver on loan to a Mercedes powered team? (No doubt for a reduced engine bill)

If so I cant see him fitting into Haas.
From what I hear Mazepin and Schu are all but a done deal, the release of Grosjean and KMag just the first instalment of the announcement.
Old 22 Oct 2020, 14:25 (Ref:4011986)   #207
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Is George not officially a Mercedes contracted driver on loan to a Mercedes powered team? (No doubt for a reduced engine bill)

If so I cant see him fitting into Haas.
From what I hear Mazepin and Schu are all but a done deal, the release of Grosjean and KMag just the first instalment of the announcement.
I agree Haas wouldn't announce exit of current drivers unless they have replacements lined up.

As to the musical chairs scenario mentioned by Chunter back on the 14th. That's a lot of movement, but of all, it seems odd for Russell to be left out (I hope he finds a seat if this is true). I suspect Latifi remains due to funding reasons and the new owners of Williams want a driver with significant and varied F1 experience in the car to evaluate ongoing development?

Richard
Old 23 Oct 2020, 11:22 (Ref:4012169)   #208
S griffin
Veteran

It would be a shame for Russell to lose his seat, although he would probably jump at the chance if it meant getting a better seat somewhere. His talent is there, but it would be wasted if he can’t find a better seat before too long
Old 23 Oct 2020, 11:40 (Ref:4012181)   #209
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It would be a shame for Russell to lose his seat, although he would probably jump at the chance if it meant getting a better seat somewhere. His talent is there, but it would be wasted if he can’t find a better seat before too long
Perhaps Lewis jacks it in and George does a Damon '93 style and gets the plum drive?

Unlikely, but you never know!
Old 23 Oct 2020, 11:44 (Ref:4012182)   #210
S griffin
Veteran

I could certainly see him doing that. I seem to recall too a certain Mika Hakkinen struggled with a midfield Lotus, before getting a drive with a top team in McLaren
Old 23 Oct 2020, 11:49 (Ref:4012186)   #211
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I could certainly see him doing that. I seem to recall too a certain Mika Hakkinen struggled with a midfield Lotus, before getting a drive with a top team in McLaren
It was a bit different, Lotus were nibbling at the heels of the top teams quite often in 1992. George would love to have a Williams at that sort of performance.

Mika was doing a great job with Lotus (as was Herbert) which put both on the radars of those top teams for '93. I think Marlboro/Ron were willing to buy Mika out of his contract, Williams weren't.

The similarity to Hill's circumstances leading to the Williams drive would be very like George's if he got the call....
Old 23 Oct 2020, 16:57 (Ref:4012231)   #212
S griffin
Veteran

Actually, Williams did try and get Mika for 93 IIRC
Old 25 Oct 2020, 06:29 (Ref:4012667)   #213
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Apparently Mazepin definitely has one of the Haas seats and Schumacher will take the other one, only if Alfa keep both current drivers. I would think that daft as Kimi and Gio are hardly tearing things up?
Think i heard Alfa team remains the same in 21...
Old 25 Oct 2020, 06:30 (Ref:4012668)   #214
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I have heard the same.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 18:29 (Ref:4012948)   #215
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Oh boy, when it comes to keeping faith in current driver's, Ferrari are just as notorious as Red Bull. I can understand keeping Raikkonen for his experience but Giovinazzi? To keep the Italians happy I guess.
Old 25 Oct 2020, 20:47 (Ref:4013001)   #216
S griffin
Veteran

Maybe it seems to point to Schumacher going to Haas
Old 25 Oct 2020, 21:54 (Ref:4013024)   #217
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe it seems to point to Schumacher going to Haas
Giovinazzi just hasn't really impressed that much.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 15:25 (Ref:4013228)   #218
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wanted to summarize what I "think" has been confirmed, plus current rumors and my personal speculation.
Alfa Romeo Racing
Kimi Räikkönen (rumored)
Antonio Giovinazzi (rumored)

AlphaTauri
Pierre Gasly (speculation)
Yuki Tsunoda (rumored)

Alpine
Esteban Ocon (confirmed?)
Fernando Alonso (confirmed)

Aston Martin
Sebastian Vettel (confirmed)
Lance Stroll (confirmed?)

Ferrari
Charles Leclerc (confirmed)
Carlos Sainz Jr. (confirmed)

Haas
Mick Schumacher (rumored)
Nikita Mazepin (rumored)

McLaren
Daniel Ricciardo (confirmed)
Lando Norris (confirmed)

Mercedes
Valtteri Bottas (confirmed)
Lewis Hamilton (expected)

Red Bull Racing
Max Verstappen (confirmed)
Sergio Pérez (speculation)

Williams
Nicholas Latifi (confirmed)
George Russell (has contract for 2021. confirmed?)
As to my speculation

* Russell says he has a contract for 2021 and that the rumors of Perez at Williams is being generated by Perez's people. Given I place Perez at RBR, I am speculating that Perez is using a potential seat at Williams to try improve his contract position with RBR.
* As RBR has been hinting, if they replace Albon (and I think they have no choice but to do so), they will look outside of their current list of drivers. I think realistically that is Perez, Hulkenberg or maybe even Russell if you believe the Williams rumors. I don't think they will pick Russell given he still is an unknown and RBR keeps getting burnt by newer drivers in seat #2. I am thinking Perez.
* I think Gasly remains in his seat.
* I think Tsunoda has been a desire by Honda and I think RBR/AT are looking to maintain good relations with Honda (especially with ongoing negotiations on Power Unit IP). So he will take the second seat. Kvyat is gone from F1.
* Regarding Haas, I have no reason to not believe the Schumacher and Mazepin speculation/rumors. My only concern is that they are taking on TWO F1 rookies. That seems counter to their general strategy of having "some" experience in the car to gauge development.
* Hulkenberg. He may not find a seat. But I can see RBR maybe picking him if they can't work an acceptable deal with Perez.

Richard
Old 26 Oct 2020, 15:29 (Ref:4013230)   #219
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I wanted to summarize what I "think" has been confirmed, plus current rumors and my personal speculation.
Alfa Romeo Racing
Kimi Räikkönen (rumored)
Antonio Giovinazzi (rumored)

AlphaTauri
Pierre Gasly (speculation)
Yuki Tsunoda (rumored)

Alpine
Esteban Ocon (confirmed?)
Fernando Alonso (confirmed)

Aston Martin
Sebastian Vettel (confirmed)
Lance Stroll (confirmed?)

Ferrari
Charles Leclerc (confirmed)
Carlos Sainz Jr. (confirmed)

Haas
Mick Schumacher (rumored)
Nikita Mazepin (rumored)

McLaren
Daniel Ricciardo (confirmed)
Lando Norris (confirmed)

Mercedes
Valtteri Bottas (confirmed)
Lewis Hamilton (expected)

Red Bull Racing
Max Verstappen (confirmed)
Sergio Pérez (speculation)

Williams
Nicholas Latifi (confirmed)
George Russell (has contract for 2021. confirmed?)
As to my speculation

* Russell says he has a contract for 2021 and that the rumors of Perez at Williams is being generated by Perez's people. Given I place Perez at RBR, I am speculating that Perez is using a potential seat at Williams to try improve his contract position with RBR.
* As RBR has been hinting, if they replace Albon (and I think they have no choice but to do so), they will look outside of their current list of drivers. I think realistically that is Perez, Hulkenberg or maybe even Russell if you believe the Williams rumors. I don't think they will pick Russell given he still is an unknown and RBR keeps getting burnt by newer drivers in seat #2. I am thinking Perez.
* I think Gasly remains in his seat.
* I think Tsunoda has been a desire by Honda and I think RBR/AT are looking to maintain good relations with Honda (especially with ongoing negotiations on Power Unit IP). So he will take the second seat. Kvyat is gone from F1.
* Regarding Haas, I have no reason to not believe the Schumacher and Mazepin speculation/rumors.
* Hulkenberg. He may not find a seat. But I can see RBR maybe picking him if they can't work an acceptable deal with Perez.

Richard

Plausible list.

Maybe Perez in stead of Latifi and Hulkenberg to RBR?
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 17:51 (Ref:4013249)   #220
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Plausible list.

Maybe Perez in stead of Latifi and Hulkenberg to RBR?
I don't see Williams drop Latifi, he has a contract AND brings money.
Dropping him will only cost money, and they don't have that in abundance.

--

If RBR decide to drop or demote Albon AND if they stay with Honda, then Perez makes more sense then Hülkenberg since he will bring sponsorship and everything that helps pay the additional costs of bulding/maintenaing engines + the additional personnel will be welcomed.
If they pick Renault, then Hülkenberg will probably be more affordable.

--

So, I think the list presented really makes sense.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 08:59 (Ref:4013491)   #221
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When reading Richard's post above it hit me that we will have 4 teams whos' name begins with 'A'. Two years ago there were none.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 11:22 (Ref:4013516)   #222
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I don't see Williams drop Latifi, he has a contract AND brings money.
Dropping him will only cost money, and they don't have that in abundance.

I don't know how much funds Perez brings in comparison to Latifi. They would have an upgrade in driver performance. If they replace Russel they will have a financial bonus.

BTW: Gasly confirmed for Alpha Tauri: https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/f...1-fahrermarkt/
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 12:59 (Ref:4013530)   #223
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't know how much funds Perez brings in comparison to Latifi. They would have an upgrade in driver performance. If they replace Russel they will have a financial bonus.
Probably not as much.
According to what I've read they need Latifit to survive (financially) ...
Old 28 Oct 2020, 14:29 (Ref:4013534)   #224
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
BTW: Gasly confirmed for Alpha Tauri: https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/f...1-fahrermarkt/
VERY telling as to what it is likely to happen at RBR. With Gasly not moving up, it is either Albon staying (unlikely) or bringing in someone from outside. If Albon goes, then does he go to AT or just exit from RB teams.

The seat has a been Albon's to lose. We are roughly at the 3/4 mark in the season. Even if Albon has "good" results the remainder of the season, I can't see it making up for the entire season of up/down performance. Can a good finish mean he is improving or is it just a short period of "up" performance. And I just can't see him producing "great" results (knocking it out of the park) in the remaining five races.

My guess is that RBR will not wait until end of season to sort out the 2nd seat at RBR. While they have options, they probably want first pick. That will leave Albon in limbo (out at RBR, but unsure of future). AT may be looking to confirm Yuki Tsunoda superlicense situation, so they will wait until end of F2 season then potentially confirm Tsunoda. If something happens to Tsunoda, then move Albon back into AT to replace Kvyat. Or if relationship with Albon is broken, keep Kvyat at AT for another year.

Richard
Old 28 Oct 2020, 15:00 (Ref:4013535)   #225
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
VERY telling as to what it is likely to happen at RBR. With Gasly not moving up, it is either Albon staying (unlikely) or bringing in someone from outside. If Albon goes, then does he go to AT or just exit from RB teams.

The seat has a been Albon's to lose. We are roughly at the 3/4 mark in the season. Even if Albon has "good" results the remainder of the season, I can't see it making up for the entire season of up/down performance. Can a good finish mean he is improving or is it just a short period of "up" performance. And I just can't see him producing "great" results (knocking it out of the park) in the remaining five races.

My guess is that RBR will not wait until end of season to sort out the 2nd seat at RBR. While they have options, they probably want first pick. That will leave Albon in limbo (out at RBR, but unsure of future). AT may be looking to confirm Yuki Tsunoda superlicense situation, so they will wait until end of F2 season then potentially confirm Tsunoda. If something happens to Tsunoda, then move Albon back into AT to replace Kvyat. Or if relationship with Albon is broken, keep Kvyat at AT for another year.

Richard

After Imola, they are said to make a decision. It will probably take minimal a podium and a brilliant race from Albon to have any chance at all.

I don't see Kvyat staying though. It will be either Albon or Tsunoda at AT I reckon.