Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27 Apr 2021, 08:32 (Ref:4048038)   #11
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Some of this was good, but a lot of it was done with no regard for fans, look at Silverstone, it went from there to nothing within 5 years, almost heroically mismanaged. Yet a great concept, fab location, decent if not great track, yet they had no idea how to do it right, fair play for trying something new, but do your research, events like that ONLY appeal to the middle classes like the Classic, and Goodwood, the way you get big crowds of youth is drifting, drag racing, car clubs, tuners. And make it cheap initially, not vastly overpriced.
I think Silverstone has been debated to death on here, but I agree with pretty much all of the above.

Silverstone wasn't brilliant, but it was better than I was expecting and the first year (when the Stowe building was open) it actually offered a few different vantage points for spectators. Plus it kept World Rallycross in the UK for a couple of extra years, so I am grateful for that...

...but yeah, the way the WRX events were marketed is really not how I would have done it. Obviously easy to sit behind a keyboard and critique, but I can't understand why you wouldn't try and appeal to the existing fanbase whilst seeking out a wider audience. Speedmachine seemed like a bit of a mishmash of ideas to me which is maybe fine for the first year or two when you are trying to choose the exact direction of the event, but to then pair that with a massive hike in price relative to the Lydden round seemed daft. Perhaps there was some logic behind it, but I couldn't see it.

I don't know how likely it would have been but I hoped that, if it had stayed there, they might have reworked the circuit to make full use of that area.