Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Worst Grand Prix Driver Since 1999?
Alex Yoong (Minardi) 38 55.88%
Gaston Mazzacane (Minardi, Prost) 15 22.06%
Tora Takagi (Arrows) 2 2.94%
Alex Zanardi (Williams) 3 4.41%
Tomas Enge (Prost) 0 0%
Marc Gene (Minardi) 0 0%
Pedro Diniz (Sauber) 0 0%
Luca Badoer (Minardi) 2 2.94%
Luciano Burti (Jaguar, Prost) 0 0%
Tarso Marques (Minardi) 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Jul 2002, 08:33 (Ref:340368)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst Grand Prix Driver since 1999?

Just thought I'd settle it once and for all? Who is the worst Grand Prix driver in the last 3-4 years?

Yoong, Mazzacane, Zanardi, Enge, Diniz, Marques, Gene, Burti, Badoer or Takagi? In my opinion, Gene, (especially) Badoer and Burti are actually quite talented...Yoong and Mazzacane are clearly the worst. I vote for Yoong as the worst...Gaston was bloody hopeless also, and had a mullet, but he always qualified, even if he did have a better car. Plus, Alex looks out of control every time he's on screen - look at the Heidfeld/Sato incident at Austria - in the backround you can see Alex having his own battle to stay on the track

Also, any other driver who finished 3laps behind his teammate has got a serious lack of pace...

BTW, You might be questioning some of the drivers I've included in the poll...Zanardi is here not for being a bad driver, but for having the season from hell, it just didnt fall into place...Diniz is included, because he was just plain slow, and never looked like he wanted to be there...Enge didnt do anything special in his races for Prost, same with Burti. Badoer and Gene were actually pretty quick, but I wanted to fill up the poll

Last edited by DNQ; 23 Jul 2002 at 08:41.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 08:42 (Ref:340374)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Pedro Diniz was a good driver, who imporved with time. I remember him out-qualifiying Damon Hill on a few occasions. I don't relly like this poll...
Old 23 Jul 2002, 08:46 (Ref:340377)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Ah, come on

Remember, even Yoong is better than nearly all of us here, they are all doing they're best and are dedicated to doing what they love - but as ever, there always has to be someone who comes last
Old 23 Jul 2002, 09:19 (Ref:340398)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yoong defines bad driving. Mazzacane was awfully slow, but Yoong makes him look like..... well Mazzacane was faster.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 10:45 (Ref:340491)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Have to say Yoong, Alex Zanardi doesn't deserve to be in there as "worst driver" but if this poll had been most "disappointing driver" then i'd have voted for Zanardi.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 11:38 (Ref:340544)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
V, absolutaly, Zanardi is in no way the 'worst' driver, hence my explanation in the original post - but worst doesnt just mean lack of natural skill - underperforming, lack of motivation, severe bad luck can warrant an inclusion in a list such as this.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 11:58 (Ref:340567)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong's got any of these guys beat by a country mile! He's made honest attempts to qualify and still been outside the 107% rule! That's just pathetic! I don't buy that he's any better than some of the people contributing to this thread! Sure, he's not as bad as Deletraz, but then, a narcoleptic llama could probably drive better than Deletraz!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 12:26 (Ref:340608)   #8
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edited for inappopriate content - Wrex

Last edited by Wrex; 23 Jul 2002 at 13:40.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 12:33 (Ref:340618)   #9
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry for being mildly rude but I'd put Zanardi up there with Mickey the Shoe...
Old 23 Jul 2002, 12:41 (Ref:340628)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Hmm...if you bothered to read my previous posts in this thread, you may have come accross this:

"V, absolutaly, Zanardi is in no way the 'worst' driver, hence my explanation in the original post - but worst doesnt just mean lack of natural skill - underperforming, lack of motivation, severe bad luck can warrant an inclusion in a list such as this."

and...

"Zanardi is here not for being a bad driver, but for having the season from hell, it just didnt fall into place"

Also - to defend myself again - Alex, in 1999, had a shocker of a season, for whatever reason. He is a naturally brilliant driver, uttely fast, and swept all before him in CART, and when he was injured in Germany last year, I was sad to have lost one of the Indy car greats from the motor racing scene. Read some of my posts on the CART forum from sept last year for my views on Al. But..for some reason or another, in 1999, he couldnt come to grips with F1. Have I ever said I think he is bad as Yoong? no. But there is no use denying, that, in F1, Zanardi just didnt cut the mustard. At all. Same as Andretti. If you disgree with me, don't vote for him...I am sure that's a much better idea than abusing the creator of the thread.

Anyway, it's late, goodnight from me, JR Ewing.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 13:36 (Ref:340690)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've gone with Takagi although Yoong cuts it close.

Why the hell are Gene, Badoer, Zanardi or Diniz on that list?!?!?! All great drivers in their own ways.

Last edited by Minardi fan; 23 Jul 2002 at 13:37.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 13:39 (Ref:340692)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
JR - Calm down sonny. Golden rule here "Attack the post, not the poster". You can disagree with the poll, but name calling will not be tolerated.

Thankyou - Wrex

Last edited by Wrex; 23 Jul 2002 at 13:41.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 13:52 (Ref:340704)   #13
julesdw
Rookie

julesdw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well I have to say I don't think Yoong is that bad. Sato is perhaps the worst since 99 but he's not in the list? What was the requirement for being in the list? Driving for a lower team? Is this why Sato is not there?
Old 23 Jul 2002, 14:03 (Ref:340714)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think Takagi was that bad... He did show the occasional spark, and isn't doing too badly in Champcars right now.

Yoong should never have gotten his seat in F1. Although Pedro Diniz has to take case for the stupidest driver in a long time, at least Yoong doesn't run into people.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Jul 2002, 14:09 (Ref:340717)   #15
julesdw
Rookie

julesdw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed Jay, Yoong has not exactly had a great yeah but then again he does not have a habit of ploughing into other drivers. Got to be worth something surely?
Old 23 Jul 2002, 14:38 (Ref:340728)   #16
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher should have been included on this list.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 14:52 (Ref:340737)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by julesdw
well I have to say I don't think Yoong is that bad. Sato is perhaps the worst since 99 but he's not in the list? What was the requirement for being in the list? Driving for a lower team? Is this why Sato is not there?
I'm not sure you could really compare Sato & Yoong though- Sato showed all the right credentials to be at least a competent F1 driver in junior formulas- OK, he's having a real nightmare this year, (which might just be of career-ending proportions), but I don't think the fundamental problem is one of a lack of talent. Yoong's problem on the other hand probably is just that- if you compare their respective F3 records, Sato has one British F3 Championship and at least a dozen race wins (including Macau etc) to his name- Yoong has something like a couple of podium positions in British F3....
Old 23 Jul 2002, 15:15 (Ref:340751)   #18
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Worst Grand Prix Driver since 1999?

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Yoong and Mazzacane are clearly the worst. I vote for Yoong as the worst...Gaston was bloody hopeless also, and had a mullet,
mullett or no mullett, I am still going for Mazzacane. At least Yoong is younger and has more time to learn how to drive!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 15:33 (Ref:340766)   #19
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mazzacane.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 16:14 (Ref:340797)   #20
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it was since 1998, you could include Ricardo Rosset.

And IMO Zanardi shouldn't be included in a list with the likes of Alex Yoong, that's just damn disgraceful.

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 23 Jul 2002 at 16:16.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 16:19 (Ref:340804)   #21
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who the hell voted for Zanardi!!!!??? Shame on you!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 16:23 (Ref:340805)   #22
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luca Badoer and Alex Zanardi shouldn't be in this list. Luca could made good carrier if he didn't prefer to be Ferrari test-guy. Alex was good in other series.

All of the rest was awful but Young won the competition.
Good by, Alex! You're the weakest link!
Old 23 Jul 2002, 16:39 (Ref:340823)   #23
Kretzman JB fan
Rookie

Kretzman JB fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote would have to go to Yoong because he is not even close to Webber when he qualifies. Mazzacane wasn't that great but he qualified, and wasn;t that bad. Takagiwasn't a bad driver he was just with a hoorrible Team with Tyrell, and Rosset didn't qualify most of the time with him. Zanardi wasn't bad he just had a very bad year, didn't get time to develop in the car, but he had a lot of talent. Enge didn't get a chance to prove himself because last year Prost was a joke at the end of the season because they knew that they were going bankrupt. Gene has talent as shown by his sixth place finish in the European grand prix of 1999 even though it was crash filled. Diniz wasn't a bad driver he just jumped to teams to much, that wears on owners nerves quite a bit, he was decent though, and showed that he could run with Damon Hill when hill was in the Arrows. Burti hasn't had time to develop and could be a good driver we just haven't seen him enough. Marques was bad, but he was at least faster than Yooong, and Badoer is a good driver, almost scoring points in two or three races, but problems kept him from that.

Yoong has to be because these days no one should be missing races unless they're financially strapped, but he has a lot of money behind him, and he shouldn't be out there is hes 2 seconds of 21st place
Old 23 Jul 2002, 16:52 (Ref:340841)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Mazzacane. Yoong is also not the best out there

but Mazzacane and Yoong would put 10 laps on that guy that ran in 1995, Jean-Denis Deletraz... that guy is the worst driver ever...
Old 23 Jul 2002, 17:05 (Ref:340858)   #25
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I think if you take the title of this thread literally then Damon Hill should be included. His 1999 season was almost embarrassing.(This is not supposed to detract from his previous acheivments which are discounted by the title) - IMO