Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Jul 2005, 05:46 (Ref:1344435)   #1
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today China, tomorrow the world...

This just in from AVESCO:

July 1 2005

For Immediate Release

An advance party led by Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company (AVESCO) Chairman Tony Cochrane to the Middle East has returned to confirm the likely staging of a race in 2007.

The outstanding success of the V8 Supercar Championship Series in China just over a fortnight ago buoyed the party which went virtually straight from Shanghai to visit several undisclosed locations in the Middle East region.

“It was a huge success and proves what a truly international series we now are” Mr Cochrane said of the reconnaissance mission.

“This is our third trip to the Middle East to meet with senior delegates from several countries who have expressed an interest in the V8 Supercar Championship Series.

“Those we met with were telling us how much regard they have for our World class product. Their level of awareness of our Series is really quite amazing. They are extremely familiar with what we do.

“The success of China proved to us that we are ready to go again, it’s just a matter of when. We’ve had our first experience of airlifting 32 cars, hundreds of tonnes of equipment and more than 400 people to another part of the world.

“That has prepared us to consider any country in the Indian, Asian and Pacific Basins to be our stage.”

Mr Cochrane was still coming down from the event at the Shanghai International Circuit where more than 100,000 spectators came to see what V8 Supercars were all about over the three days.

“The feedback from our teams, those who went along, the drivers and all manner of people has been quite incredible. Our office has been getting a dozens of communications of congratulations every single day and still is two weeks later,” he said.

“It was a very significant stake that we planted in the ground in China. It has made us realise, believe it or not, that even we at AVESCO perhaps underestimate our own profile around the World and our own international potential as an Australian sporting export.

“Having said that we are very conscience of our Australian fan base and their needs. We have always said that we will ensure there are 10 races permanently in Australia and four overseas, including New Zealand.

“Our commitment is to race in every state in Australia at least once every year, full stop. This is our stated goal. This ensures we remain a truly national sport and that every state has the opportunity to come and witness our great Championship first hand.

“AVESCO’s commitment is to keep seeking out the best facilities for our teams, television, sponsors and especially our growing band of fans. The China event at the $500 million Shanghai International Circuit, a similar venue in the Middle East and the upgrading of Bathurst has raised the bar for all Australian venues.”

Interesting.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 06:01 (Ref:1344437)   #2
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are going to have tanks painted in the team colours and race these around the track. Just need help with the controlled tyre or should I say track. LOL

Old 1 Jul 2005, 06:08 (Ref:1344439)   #3
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will be changes to the track configuration in China next year.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 06:19 (Ref:1344443)   #4
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
There will be changes to the track configuration in China next year.
What did you think of the China event? I thought it was OK, great venue etc, but the racing was just racing, nuthing special.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1344482)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What changes ? the full GP circuit ?
Old 1 Jul 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1344487)   #6
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
What changes ? the full GP circuit ?
It's being looked at now. No one knows what changes will be made yet.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1344519)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper
the racing was just racing, nuthing special.
Mate, it was special. We saw the first V8 Supercar doing some air time thanks to a gravel trap (ie, Greg Murphy, Super Cheap Auto Racing).
Old 1 Jul 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1344527)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
craig lowndes did that a sandown many years ago except he put in a double twist and quintriple somersault and all in the pike position
Old 1 Jul 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1344583)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
peckstar I think that you find that Lowdnes spin was at Calder. But I agree with sandgroper the China race was pretty boring.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 1 Jul 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1344603)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Well if you saw The PanelBeaters tonight the teams are very happy with the China rumble.

Old 1 Jul 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1344604)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what are the chances of that. i type calder and it comes out sandown. stupid me.

God bless the front guard sponsor of team tasman.

the racing did seem dull though there was passing and it would have been enjoyable to see murf ambrose and bright coming through the field

i do wonder though if it had something to do with the fords not being in the mix
Old 3 Jul 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1345776)   #12
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15799572%255E2764,00.ht

New desert storm!
TODD BALYM of AAP
03jul05

A V8 Supercar Championship in the Middle East in 2007 is not a matter of if, but where.

Chairman of the Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company, Tony Cochrane, and several motorsport executives have just returned from a reconnaissance mission to the Middle East.

Cochrane is confident his vision to spread the Australian series further overseas will come to fruition.

Several locations in the Middle East are bidding to host the event, including Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar and, although a deal is not yet clinched, Bahrain is the clear favourite.

"It was a huge success and proves what a truly international series we now are," Cochrane said.

"This is our third trip to the Middle East to meet with senior delegates from several countries who have expressed an interest in the V8 Supercar Championship Series.

"Those we met with were telling us how much regard they have for our world-class product.

"The success of China (in June) proved to us that we are ready to go again. It's just a matter of when.

"That has prepared us to consider any country in the Indian, Asian and Pacific basins to be our stage."

With a regular race in New Zealand, Shanghai contracted for another four years, the Middle East in 2007 and a possible race in Africa in the future, Cochrane is edging closer to his goal of making the V8 Supercar Championship the world's premier touring car series, if it isn't already.

"It was a very significant stake that we planted in the ground in China," he said.

"It has made us realise, believe it or not, that even we at AVESCO perhaps underestimate our own profile around the world and our own international potential as an Australian sporting export.

"Having said that, we are very conscious of our Australian fan base and their needs.

"We have always said that we will ensure there are 10 races permanently in Australia and four overseas, including New Zealand.

"Our commitment is to race in every state in Australia at least once every year.

"The China event at the $500 million Shanghai International Circuit, a similar venue in the Middle East and the upgrading of Bathurst has raised the bar for all Australian venues."

Old 3 Jul 2005, 06:52 (Ref:1345779)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Noise around town has at least one round in the sandy desert in 2006, with a view to 2 in 2007....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Jul 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1345791)   #14
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Just a side note, Aussie Bernie is blowing his own trumpet at the size of the China crowd(Though I really do belive that there was only about 90,000 at china). But my piont is that there was 85,000 at the Greece round of the WRC at 1 time and not over 3days, so if I am not wrong 85,000 at one event compared to 90,000 over 3 days. I think that the WRC is a bigger draw than the v8 supertaxi.
What will Aussie Bernie response to this be ( BLOODY NOTHING).
Old 3 Jul 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1345808)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all well and good to say that there will be 10 races in Australia every year, it's just that he is forgetting that only 10 touring car races a year in Australia for the top competitors is the fewest history......
Old 3 Jul 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1345810)   #16
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Retro will they the v8supertaxi be runniing the FULL Barhain circut, not like the China 3/4 lap race .
Old 3 Jul 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1345874)   #17
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
........my piont is that there was 85,000 at the Greece round of the WRC at 1 time........
Where did this figure come from ?
Old 3 Jul 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1345898)   #18
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they biting off more than they can chew? It seems quite early to be making bold predictions about the success of fly away rounds I would have thought. They might be on a high now because they've just pulled it off (the event I mean haha), but would the success of this venture be better judged by its longer term performance? How many people will rock up to china next year? Or in 2 years?

Having been to all 3 rounds in canberra where the crowds were around the 115,000 mark, I am suspiscious of false claims of an events percieved success. Those canberra events were well attended, yet it ceased after 3 years. And this was an event in our country.
Old 4 Jul 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1346739)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems that a lot of the enthusiasm for the Shanghai circuit and how fabulous it was lay in the facility itself and how grand/large/impressive the infrastructure was. As for the circuit itself, at least on the TV, it was a wide but apparently unremarkable circuit desgned for F1 and billiard table flat.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 4 Jul 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1346923)   #20
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
"The China event at the $500 million Shanghai International Circuit, a similar venue in the Middle East and the upgrading of Bathurst has raised the bar for all Australian venues."
This comment is what I have been a bit concerned about for the last 6 months.

I have been wanting to post a question but have been afraid of the answer.

Especially the bit about raising the bar for all Australian venues.

I think it is fantastic that the V8's are going to these magnificent venues OS, BUT, what will that mean for Australian Circuits???

Apart from Adelaide Clipsal, Melbourne GP and Indy, which circuits come up to the standards of Shanghai, Middle East etc. etc.

Does this now mean that circuit owners in Aus will have to spend $100's of Millions to upgrade their tracks and surrounds to accomodate the V8's?????

Don't get me wrong, I believe they deserve to have the best facilities available but I really hope this is not a view into the future.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 01:34 (Ref:1347366)   #21
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer
Where did this figure come from ?

It was from the super stage held on the Friday at the Greece Olypmpic staduim, Herd on the tv( Think it was on Ch serious ) and I read on a coulpe of web site, And after that stage there was still 3 days of Rallying to go.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1347704)   #22
spook
Veteran

spook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no way that the "temporary" Adelaide, Melboune and Indy Circuits could or should be compared to any permanent motor racing facility. The "freedoms" allowed for "temporary" circuits would deem most permanent circuits illegal or unable to secure a track licence.

These three circuits/events are run by corporations that are funded by governments - those same governments that see these events as a "support of motorsport" - hogwash - they exist for the tourism industry and not motor sport.

Only Melbourne comes close to the standards expected at permanent race circuits, and just look at the millions of dollars spent annually to make that happen.

Permanent race circuits in Australia will only invest in their infrastructure when they start to get an equitable share of the income (including TV rights) from the USERS (A.V.E.S.C.O./Ch00). At events not promoted by Lord TC (avesco inc events), who takes the risk?.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 22:18 (Ref:1348298)   #23
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can sort of fathom why China would want to throw barrow loads of money at an international event to try and fool the populace into thinking how "modern" and "western" their policies are.
It also sends messages to the rest of the world that things are "going fine" in the lead up to the Beijing Olympics. In other words, "look at us, we now have a vibrant economy and our human rights problems have all been fixed". Not.

But why would Bahrain or Dubai do it?
Or is it just because they can??????
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 6 Jul 2005, 03:58 (Ref:1348425)   #24
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spook, sorry, I did not mean the Street Circuits are anything like the OS tracks.

I meant all permanent Aus tracks, not including them.

But I pretty much agree with what you are saying.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 02:17 (Ref:1349238)   #25
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Average Punter]I can sort of fathom why China would want to throw barrow loads of money at an international event to try and fool the populace into thinking how "modern" and "western" their policies are.
It also sends messages to the rest of the world that things are "going fine" in the lead up to the Beijing Olympics. In other words, "look at us, we now have a vibrant economy and our human rights problems have all been fixed". Not.

Exactly..... Does anyone know how many times the Shanghai circuit has been used apart from the F1, Moto GP, and the V8s? My guess is buggerall if any. Our permanent tracks may not have the spa baths for the mechanics, and the massive grandstands with no one in them. But the quality of our tracks is as good as can be expected considering that the track owners now have to pay to host a round instead of being payed to use their land. The track owners gotta try to break even, lettlown having money to upgrade. Which should be coming from AVESCO... Tracks like Bathurst, Phillip Island, Winton, Oran Park and Willowbank will always be the best. And what is Ingalls problem with Oran Park.... there may not be much room for overtaking but at least we can see the cars and we can have a BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is Australia and that is the way we are.......