Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Sep 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3142668)   #1
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still having trouble getting very excited about the WEC field and really only 3 cars mattering. Don't get me wrong I'm listening to practice and will follow along all weekend but it doesn't get me all that excited. Need it to grow a bit particularly at the sharp end before I say "Wow, Worlds Sportscar Championship is really back."
Old 27 Sep 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3142686)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Still having trouble getting very excited about the WEC field and really only 3 cars mattering.
That's not really a sportscar/endurance racing fans' mentality. It prevents you from opening up to appreciate everything else.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3142694)   #3
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
That's not really a sportscar/endurance racing fans' mentality. It prevents you from opening up to appreciate everything else.
OK fine, 7 cars that matter then. The 3 factory P1s and the GTE Pro cars.

Modern Era P2- AM drivers in cost capped cars all regulated to perform very similarly don't really capture the imagination. If you've seen them in person you know that they look very similar. For the first time in my life I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between the open cockpit P2s if I didn't already know their liveries. Sure it's good racing and great for gentlemen and field filling but ehhh.

GTE-AM- ehhh at least they look and sound nice. But once again AM drivers competing in a separate class screams participation ribbon to me. I get that they've always been a part of sports car racing and I get that they're necessary. Not against them ebing there and their cars are cool but it doesn't have me excited.

Privateer P1s - I love em cause they represent that true spirit of LeMans. Innovation at a private level and taking on the best. But there's only 4 of them and they're so far behind that they can't even take advantage of factory team miscues. It'd be a lot more interesting if they had somehwat of a chance.

Again, I'll still watch the racing. But large grids with variety and professionalism makes sports car racing great for me. With only 28 cars total, you can't really fall down the grid or work your way up through steadiness.

I get your point and its never been about just the factory P1s for me, but this WEC grid doesn't give you much else.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3143055)   #4
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gentleman (Am) drivers will always be a part on endurance racing, it's not viable without those guys bringing money, the same way F1 has become more reliant on paying drivers.

For me, sure, P2 looks the same, but it's competitive and exciting when P1 was just Audi vs Audi. Cost capped cars revived P2, otherwise, who would bother when some teams have massive resources. It would just become P1 again, driving a wedge in the grid.

Can't disagree with the GTE Am stuff, it seems like it was a token class because the big boys in GTE Pro would feel 'devalued' competing against amateurs. But again, the factories need to flog off greater numbers of GTE cars for the economy of scale. I don't really have a problem with guys like Tracy Krohn, good, professional Am teams that really add value. There are a few that seem to lose their way ocassionally, though they also become easy targets for the 'big boys' to lay the blame at their feet *cough*Audi*cough*

Need to get on the ACO and FIA about private P1's, it's a damn shame that Audi repeatedly threw themselves at the scenery at Le Mans and the best Rebellion could manage was 4th

The biggest thing is that the WEC is still in it's infancy, I'd say that it's doing pretty well for it's first outing. It'll either fall flat on it's face or continue to expand and draw in more fans and money. Here's to the latter!
Old 28 Sep 2012, 14:06 (Ref:3143192)   #5
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
What I like about the WEC is this atmosphere of "only the racing matters".

It's very down to the point, they don't try to build up some nonsense media hype or make the drivers stand out too much. They don't mess with the racing to make it more TV accessible either..

This may all be bad marketing but I like it, of all the big racing series the WEC gives me the clearest impression that it is about engineering and racing the cars instead of focusing on providing a good "show".

I like this old-fashioned "no frills" approach, especially in today's world where every little thing is hyped up till there's no tomorrow.