Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3204962)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[iV8SC13TEST] V8Supercar Test Day: Eastern Creek - 16th February

So... the test is on... tomorrow...

Who will be there?

Erebus has 3 Benzes at the track, the 888-built cars are all said to be in residence.

We have seen that DJR are likely to only have one car on track, while Nissan Motorsport Australia have confirmed they will only bring one of each Altima to the test day

Stories are also around that BJR have only one completed Commodore that was restickered to Lockwood colours for the launch..

Nevertheless... its almost time to see the circus show their wares!

So.. lets put pics, stories, news, interest, comment here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3204964)   #2
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many wets will each team bring?
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:24 (Ref:3204967)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think any team has done any wetweather running on the 18in wets yet.

Probably up to Dunlop to bring those.

Interesting that V8SC has not said much on the potential no-shows, when previously, it was known to all that if a team didn't front for the mandatory test day, there'd be hell to pay.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3204970)   #4
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cutting them some COTF slack maybe? The story of Nissan/Kellys bringing just two cars surprises and disappoints TBH. I'm thinking that Erebus are really hammering the Kellys already in professionalism, and lets face it, that's who they're going to be compared to...
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3204978)   #5
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mayhem, that exactly what I was thinking, Erebus seem to have done a lot more work than the Kelly's in a third of the time. The only thing I can think of is the Merc engines are just crate engines from AMG and the Kellys have developed theirs inhouse with help from Nismo, I think thats what happened, anyone confirm ???
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3204983)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given the whole Nissan thing has been up and running for 12 months now, you'd think they'd have their stuff together.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3204984)   #7
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow I don't think AMG have any 5L V8s optimised for 10:1 compression and 7500rpm sitting around. No doubt the new motor is based on an existing one, but still a bit of work to do. I'll have a gallery of images from tomorrow online in the evening.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3204986)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Mayhem, that exactly what I was thinking, Erebus seem to have done a lot more work than the Kelly's in a third of the time. The only thing I can think of is the Merc engines are just crate engines from AMG and the Kellys have developed theirs inhouse with help from Nismo, I think thats what happened, anyone confirm ???
Why does it make a difference whether the engines were put together in Braeside or Germany? The amount of time was even longer for the Nissan squad, and AMG is showing the Nissan team up..

The Erebusians have suggested that they had 109 days to put together an engine package and a brand new car...
Old 15 Feb 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3204987)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
Merc engines are apparently specific to V8SC. According to the stories since last night's launch, AMG had an SBR Ford V8SC engine at their disposal, too.

Perhaps the Kellys should've let Japan develop the motors while they concentrated on the chassis. At this point in time, it all looks very half-baked for a supposed factory effort.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 01:13 (Ref:3205004)   #10
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The major difference between what Erebus and the Kellys have had to do before the season compared with the Ford and Holden teams is develop and homologate the engine and bodywork.

Erebus left the engine to the considerable resources of AMG to do. One suspects that AMG gave them a hand with the aerodynamics as well.

The Kellys took it all upon themselves to substantially do it all themselves. It seems that converting the Nissan engine to the competitive racing engine has proved more difficult than anticipated.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3205045)   #11
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But you have to remember that Kelly Racing compared to Erebus (formally SBR) side is a lot different.

Erebus is effectively a name change of SBR and the core of the business is still and always will be SBR for a long time and they have the knowhow on what needs to be done.

We have to remember that only one staff member has left in Jimmy Stone. SBR have always been able to field a competitive car.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 03:55 (Ref:3205076)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

So have the Kellys bitten off more than they can chew?
Old 15 Feb 2013, 04:10 (Ref:3205080)   #13
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably, From what I've seen/heard they don't seem to be leveraging much from Nismo Japan. Why send an engine to Japan and get Nismo on the case of finding horsepower from the engine which appears to be the current issue.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 04:15 (Ref:3205081)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was under the impression NISMO were involved. Have people ehard differently?

Anyone going tot he test day?
Old 15 Feb 2013, 04:28 (Ref:3205083)   #15
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I was under the impression NISMO were involved. Have people ehard differently?

Anyone going tot he test day?
I thought the same thing.

I was going to fly down for this event for the day.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 04:34 (Ref:3205086)   #16
Umai Naa
Veteran

I was going to go, but lacking money at the moment to get there and feed myself.

Nismo apparently had some involvement, but to what extent, I'm unsure.

Hopefully it wasn't a case of "It's ok, we know what we're doing".

The Japanese don't suffer fools gladly.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 04:56 (Ref:3205099)   #17
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So in other words its a Claytons test day " A test day when your not really having a test day" do to half of the field not being there or able to test ?

I know any motorsport testing is fun to attend but clearly 2 weeks out from Clipsal it looks farsical.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 05:16 (Ref:3205101)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I was going to go, but lacking money at the moment to get there and feed myself.

Nismo apparently had some involvement, but to what extent, I'm unsure.

Hopefully it wasn't a case of "It's ok, we know what we're doing".

The Japanese don't suffer fools gladly.
Maybe its an advantage having small Nissan logos on the Altima

I wonder however whether Mr T.Kelly is still under a medical cloud, and on top of not having the 4 cars together just yet, makes this kinda convenient?
Old 15 Feb 2013, 06:03 (Ref:3205112)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
So in other words its a Claytons test day " A test day when your not really having a test day" do to half of the field not being there or able to test ?

I know any motorsport testing is fun to attend but clearly 2 weeks out from Clipsal it looks farsical.
25 of 28 cars will be there. we are missing two nissans and 1 DJR, the rest will be there
Old 15 Feb 2013, 06:16 (Ref:3205113)   #20
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
25 of 28 cars will be there. we are missing two nissans and 1 DJR, the rest will be there
So 25 cars will be On track and testing ??? I hope your correct.

But

I read somewhere that BJR only have 1 available for testing and the lockwood car may have been the BOC car wrapped in the colours just for the offical release?
Old 15 Feb 2013, 06:19 (Ref:3205116)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

There are pics of #8 and #14 at SMP on Adcafe.

No #21 that I've seen.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3205117)   #22
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
There are pics of #8 and #14 at SMP on Adcafe.

No #21 that I've seen.
yeah but it doesnt take long to Wrap a Car, Im only going on what Ive read
about BJR only running one car. Then again Ive read it off the internet so it could be true or false
Old 15 Feb 2013, 06:25 (Ref:3205119)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
definatly 3 BJR cars in attendance

this photo from speedcafe

and this
Quote:
The Wilson Security Racing VF Commodore will make its debut at the Sydney Motorsport Park on Saturday.
from the launch info today on speedcafe
Old 15 Feb 2013, 06:36 (Ref:3205125)   #24
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Thanks Peckstar Dam internet lies !!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 07:11 (Ref:3205139)   #25
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know how the Holden/Fords are built? Are they from their respective factories or by the teams running them? Like eg: 888 builds their own cars or does Holden supply them with the machines.