Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Jul 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3991450)   #1
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Picture Puzzles

With the demise of the Parade, perhaps we could try something different;

Can you identify thiis car and add a little history?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3991490)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the badge, it's a Cubitt but more than that I do not know.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 20:00 (Ref:3991497)   #3
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Cubitt%20c...562.jpg&t=ffhp

Colin is right .Cubitt , built in aylesbury 19250-25 , about 3000 were made , doubt there are many left now .
Old 29 Jul 2020, 20:45 (Ref:3991505)   #4
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it's a start. Thanks chaps.
I actually worked on one once when I worked for Tula Engineering in Kimpton,
Old 30 Jul 2020, 06:22 (Ref:3991547)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, according to the DVLA, the Cubitt was manufactured in 1925, and it appears to have had the same owner since at least 2012. It is a 2998 cc variant, and is currently on the SORN list.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 20:31 (Ref:3991728)   #6
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well it's a start. Thanks chaps.
I actually worked on one once when I worked for Tula Engineering in Kimpton,
Really nice guy Chris - he bought my other Studebaker which I think is now nearly finished - only taken him since '93
Old 30 Jul 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3991734)   #7
bauble
Veteran

England
crMalcolm had the Bobtail right. Anyone else?
Old 30 Jul 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3991736)   #8
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Cooper Bobtail might have come about for an aerodynamic reason .

Without the cutaway it might have had the profile of a wing .
The date of this was just a couple of years after Jaguar tried their " Low Drag " C type at Le Mans , & although they tried to keep the reason for retirement quiet , I am fairly sure that the C type was nearly flying off the road on Mulsanne as it was an ideal shape for aerodynamic lift .

So , perhaps by then , Cooper had figured it out & was not going to make the same mistake .
Old 30 Jul 2020, 06:18 (Ref:3991546)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
At the time there were two theories as to the reason for the the unique design of the Cooper Bobtail's rear end.
Can you name them both?

Answers by PM please to give everyone a chance.

Old 30 Jul 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3991673)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England

What connects these two cars? (PMs only please)
Old 30 Jul 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3991675)   #11
bauble
Veteran

England
RBS knew the answer to the Cooper puzzle. (well almost).
Old 30 Jul 2020, 18:55 (Ref:3991710)   #12
macca
Racer

macca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bobtail?
1. To make it short enough to fit in the transporter
2. So the tail would sit flat on the ground when hinged back

Paul, not always lurking
Old 30 Jul 2020, 20:41 (Ref:3991735)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
The Bobtail?
1. To make it short enough to fit in the transporter
2. So the tail would sit flat on the ground when hinged back

Paul, not always lurking
Half way there, from a man who doesn't do PMs
Old 30 Jul 2020, 20:19 (Ref:3991723)   #14
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
With the demise of the Parade, perhaps we could try something different;

Can you identify thiis car and add a little history?
I think I spot a Tenther in that picture...
Old 31 Jul 2020, 09:10 (Ref:3991804)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I think I spot a Tenther in that picture...
Indeed, Fay herself.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 09:40 (Ref:3992235)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
What is the connection?

ANSWER BY PM ONLY PLEASE. GIVE OTHERS A CHANCE.

Old 2 Aug 2020, 11:53 (Ref:3992269)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
First amongst equals GCCheddars with the right answer.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 13:10 (Ref:3992294)   #18
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clearly I peaked early, not got a clue on this one!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 2 Aug 2020, 17:16 (Ref:3992466)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good to have you joining the privilege pack, Will, welcome on board of the Stupidos Club! By PM only…
Old 2 Aug 2020, 18:13 (Ref:3992504)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Clearly I peaked early, not got a clue on this one!
If you followed FISCAR you would probably have the answer in no time.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 09:08 (Ref:3991803)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
The Bobtail story seems reasonably well known, judging by the replies. The design is a variation on the aerodynamic theories of Dr. Kamm, who advocated a flat rear end as a better option than a more streamlined for the tail of a car. I do not profess to grasp the detail, but Cooper added the concave to the 'flat back' theory.

John Cooper, light heartedly I'm sure, explained it was because a longer design would not fit into the Cooper transporter.
The 'flat back' can be seen on various Aston Martins, and Ferrari models.
Cheers,

Bauble.

Now how about the third puzzle?
Old 31 Jul 2020, 10:02 (Ref:3991814)   #22
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
The Bobtail story seems reasonably well known, judging by the replies. The design is a variation on the aerodynamic theories of Dr. Kamm, who advocated a flat rear end as a better option than a more streamlined for the tail of a car. I do not profess to grasp the detail, but Cooper added the concave to the 'flat back' theory.

John Cooper, light heartedly I'm sure, explained it was because a longer design would not fit into the Cooper transporter.
The 'flat back' can be seen on various Aston Martins, and Ferrari models.
Cheers,

Bauble.

Now how about the third puzzle?
I think that Jaguar learnt an expensive aerodynamic lesson from the C Type , & were keen not to pass the information on , so claimed that they withdrew from Le Mans due to overheating .[ They did scrap all of the "Low Drag " bodies when they got back .]

So perhaps Cooper was doing a similar thing with their new shape & saying that it fitted better on the trailer , rather than giving information away to everyone else that it was a step forward in aerodynamic design
Old 31 Jul 2020, 10:22 (Ref:3991820)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
So perhaps Cooper was doing a similar thing with their new shape & saying that it fitted better on the trailer , rather than giving information away to everyone else that it was a step forward in aerodynamic design
It came about because Owen Maddock had been studying the work of Professor Wunibald Kamm and wanted to implement such an arrangement on a new car.
John Cooper was sceptical about the silhouette, and so explained the design as being to fit into the transporter, until the aero benefits were proven.

More details of the work by Maddock on this design, and Cooper's response, can be found in Doug Nye's 2003 book - 'Cooper Cars'. ISBN 0-7603-1709-7.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3991937)   #24
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
My Alfa spider has a Kamm-tail....or at least that's what it is sometimes referred to to distinguish it from the Duetto.....

Can't do anything about your third puzzle Bob, as all I can see is two symbols of a no-entry sign and a message that the image has been resized....don't seem to be able to access them.....
Old 1 Aug 2020, 01:12 (Ref:3991987)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
I will try again;
What links these two cars?