Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Aug 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2940121)   #51
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Wasn't aware that the Sax Max lot were around in those day's.
If I were to say the day included a race series for cars built just the other side of the Thames. I think a few of them were back through the tunnel in record time.......
Old 16 Aug 2011, 05:46 (Ref:2941633)   #52
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression that HTPs were an attempt to help keep track of what happens to the provenance of the car it was granted too?
Obviously there is no control to prevent any further development once the inspector has gone away! Its the next owner who gets the depleted remains.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2943655)   #53
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
So heres my point. You have say an ex Penske 1st gen camaro and wrap it up and rebuild it with one of these what then? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEVROLET-...item1e65881628
Old 21 Aug 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2943740)   #54
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al,
You will end up with a very shiny looking racing car that is supposed to be 40 years old. And everyone with think it`s a replica.
By the way what would you do with the old original shell ? Sell it on Ebay ?

alex
Old 21 Aug 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2943750)   #55
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
an analogy

I have 2 old Lambretta, totally original, ones tatty, ones very very good but perfect original panel fit one both and as they left the factory in every sense ( servicables aside, tyres, inner cables etc)

also have another which has been restored.

on the open market the restored scooter will fetch most as its 'new' looking and shiny ( if I can be bothered to wash it, I tend to use it )

of the 2 unrestored, the tattier is more sought after and I've had for over 15 years now, and done 7-7000 miles on it, also took me to MIlan, so to my mind this is the most valuable.

none of them have been touched by modern aftermarket replacement tat.

that to me is the key factor. they are genune original Italian innocenti products.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 04:44 (Ref:2943948)   #56
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And that ,for me,sums it up.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2943993)   #57
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
How does it? We are talking what a grands worth or so of scooter with a frame and detachable body panels and a registered road vehicle not a £200k CSL or something, its like comparing chalk and cheese.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2943996)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Because it is ORIGINAL Al,ie,not re-bodied,re-engined,or re anything else.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2943997)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
not really Al, some of the Lambrettas (and Vespas') are over 10k now, good genuine parts are scarce and correct restoration takes time. couple that to diminished numbers and demand . . . add a few accessories and the price goes up (although they do little for me)

the Vespas particularly, are monocoque and harder to restore, Lambrettas have lots of fine aluminium castings. Whats made things complex are the thousands of bogus shonky parts from the far east, and India.

Its the same with cars, bespoke racing cars need bespoke and quality restoration/repair. If/when you look at production based cars there are still lots and lots of repro parts around, most of them aren't that good. most Cortina shells I see are crap, bodged, or in the case of race cars, nothing like production fabrications!

just because it has a paint scheme or stickers on doesn't make it original or correct. Its a far more complex subject, hence the ongoing comment.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 11:16 (Ref:2944064)   #60
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
OK fair point.