Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 May 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2886297)   #1
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian James tiltbed stolen

Some swine has stolen our tiltbed last night from Reading area, even though it was locked with a cover over the tow hitch. It has a winch that doesn't work (!), tyre rails to the front which are very stiff and slightly bent, and CSCC stickers on the centre storage box (although I suppose those could be removed). The blue strap from the winch is knotted around the tyre racks.

Anyone see this please let me know by PM, thanks
Old 26 May 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2886300)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Bastids, try looking on ebay in a few days.
Old 26 May 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2886309)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When mine was nicked (the morning of a CSCC race!) it was on ebay by the evening. Albeit with a storage box removed.
Old 26 May 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2886312)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry to hear that Sarah. Seems even normal trailer security measures don't thwart the barstewards, my Sis had her horsebox vanish one night despite taking all usual steps to secure it. Worrying!
Old 26 May 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2886317)   #5
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sorry to hear that Sarah. Seems even normal trailer security measures don't thwart the barstewards, my Sis had her horsebox vanish one night despite taking all usual steps to secure it. Worrying!
Well, at least we didn't have a car (or a horse) on it!
Old 26 May 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2886322)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Was it parked on a drive or outside or was it locked away?
Old 26 May 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2886352)   #7
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
indigorallye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make sure you register the theft with The Equipment Register.
They also manage and cleanse the Police's National Database (PNC)
Old 26 May 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2886363)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Very sorry for you Torquie!! Ive had 4 stolen over the years.For shore its a blooming worry. I know you dont want to hear this but the hitch cover locks are no blooming use at all. They just wrap a chain around the trailer and tow it off.AS my good freind said at least the car was not in it.Poor old Trottie had his stolen with his Ralt RT1 in it. Never seen again.
Bring back hanging!!!!
Old 26 May 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2886434)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
yeah and those things that Brian James sell that fo on extended wheel nuts are useless as well as if you drive off they simply snap the bolt heads off. The only effective lock is a Bulldog Clamp from what I have seen then they can still remove the wheel.
Old 27 May 2011, 08:42 (Ref:2886580)   #10
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly, it,s probably over the Irish sea or English channel by now. Thats what the police told me after i had my brand new BJ TT30 flat bed stolen in Suffolk.
Not only did it have a tow hitch lock but also a Rocol Sentinel wheel clamp and was behind double chain locked iron gates as well. Whole lot drilled out and cut through.

Ba..ards won,t do it again. Replacement wired to mains and shotgun !!!
Old 27 May 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2886590)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry to hear this, Sarah; I'll stick this up, for a while.
Old 27 May 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2886657)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So far I've only had one stolen but that's one too many. My sympathies.
Old 27 May 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2886693)   #13
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear about your trailer. Castration is too good for these b*st*rds. Well, maybe with a very blunt knife...

I used to keep my PRG titlbed on the front drive, right under the front room window. At about half past ten one night, about a year ago, we were sat watching telly when I heard a noise outside. Thought nothing of it initially, as it sounded a bit like a wheely bin being moved. A few minutes later, I heard it again, only louder this time - loud enough to prompt me to look out. Well, I couldn't believe my eyes! There's a couple of scumbags trying to nick the trailer, literally from under my nose!

Needless to say, I was out there like a shot, but they were ready for a quick getaway (about the only sensible thing they did!) as one of them was behind the wheel, engine running and back door open - as soon as they saw me, the second one was straight in the open door and they were gone at full chat up the road - no lights on and didn't even slow down for the give way at the end of my road! Wish there'd been an artic coming...

Luckily for me, they were a couple of d*ckhead amateurs and had been thwarted by two simple things. First of all, my drive has two gateways, but only one is wide enough for the trailer, although it was kept in front of the other one... Yep, they were trying to get it out through the narrow gateway! That's when the second thing got them: upon realising this, they decided they would try and hitch it to their getaway car and pull it through the gap - but they hadn't spotted the high security barrel lock in the hitch head, so they couldn't attach it to their car. And that's when I spotted them...

Later on, after I'd calmed down, it dawned on me what a couple of muppets they really were, as, apart from the above, they clearly hadn't thought through their actions - it must have been Dumb and Dumber! Because I soon realised that, if they had succeeded in hitching it to their car, the likely outcome would be that they'd have got the trailer wedged in the gateway, the racket made in getting to that point (steel trailer being dragged between concrete posts!) would have alerted me, and probably my neighbours, and they'd have found themselves in a situation where their only quick means of escape was now firmly attached to a wedged-in trailer! They'd have had no choice other than to abandon their vehicle and leg it on foot! We're not dealing with criminal masterminds here are we?

Sorry for the rant, but this sort of thing really p*sses me off. I hope you find your trailer, and the scumbags that nicked it - and I hope someone cuts their balls off! Can I say that?

Maybe you could post a picture or two so we can all look out for it?

Last edited by Paul D; 27 May 2011 at 13:20. Reason: Language!
Old 27 May 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2886749)   #14
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Send me a PM and I will give you the address of the farm in Trowbridge, Wiltshire where the people who stole my trailer live and 'had other stolen trailers' there. It is worth having a look.
Old 27 May 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2886754)   #15
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a perennial problem. My initial reaction is the mains power and shotgun one as well. The snag is, if you 'get' one of them, then you have a bigger problem than a stolen trailer! My trailers are now extremely dishevelled unkempt and untidy looking, in order for them to be 'unattractive'.
Although the story above reminds me of a thing that happened when I was young. The Gypsies had parked a few caravans in a layby near us when two local lads deciced to 'sort them out' So, after a feed of drink the two guys took an old series landrover pickup to the layby and reversed it up to the caravan. The driver kept the engine running while the other hitched the caravan onto the landrover. As this was happening the gypsies woke up and started to come out of the caravan. Yelling at the driver to take off, the other one jumped over the tailgate of the landrover pickup - only to discover there was no floor in the pickup part. He was lucky not to be killed by the caravan, but was found by the gypsies who apparently were unsympathetic and proceded to kick 7 bells out of him. The last anyone heard of the driver he was beatling around the countryside with a 16ft caravan on the back complete with an irate woman and about 10 irate kids of varying ages, bouncing saucepans off the cab of the landrover.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2927969)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any news on this?
Old 19 Aug 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2942916)   #17
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know it may not be of help for the young lady, but worth contacting ROAD ANGEL. My sons Ducati was literally moved a foot (unwittingly by me) and immediately, within ten seconds, he had a phone call from Road Angel telling him his bike had been moved!
This may help someone else? Worth asking.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2944836)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Nicking trailers is nothing new. A mate of mine had his stolen back in the 60s at the Ring and had to leave his race car at a German competitors house.
After buying a new trailer he had to drive all the way back the next weekend and collect his racer !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Aug 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2944865)   #19
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Try looking at this web site for missing trailers etc

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/trailers/for-sale/Ireland/
Old 24 Aug 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2944950)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Nicking trailers is nothing new. A mate of mine had his stolen back in the 60s at the Ring and had to leave his race car at a German competitors house.
After buying a new trailer he had to drive all the way back the next weekend and collect his racer !
Yea I think I told you all thats what happened to me last year. Trouble was it was Aunguleme .Blooming long way.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2945134)   #21
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Taylor View Post
I know it may not be of help for the young lady, but worth contacting ROAD ANGEL. My sons Ducati was literally moved a foot (unwittingly by me) and immediately, within ten seconds, he had a phone call from Road Angel telling him his bike had been moved!
This may help someone else? Worth asking.
I have been looking into this but all these systems require a battery which has a limited life time unless recharged - so it works on a car or bike which gets fired up, but on a trailer I dont see it working. But it would appear to be an excellent way of protecting a trailer in theory. Worth investigating. Perhaps the best is to have a tatty old trailer like I do...
Marcus
Old 24 Aug 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2945190)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yep and I have just had to pull it out from behind my unit
Old 29 Aug 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2947790)   #23
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one stolen

In case anyone is offered it. We had a trailer stolen from our farm last night, in Hartfield, East Sussex.
It was a Woodford wide body with centre fill. long ramps that slide in the back with an unusual external spring bar on each side to clamp the ramps down.
They stole it with the wheel clamp still attached, which broke off after 200 metres. So expect the right side mudguards to be damaged.
The serial number was 242809.

If you hear of anything please call nick on 01892 771333, or PM me.

Thanks Alex.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2948200)   #24
Nick Moss
Rookie

Nick Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the type of trailer stolen from Hartfield yesterday

The offside rear mudguard was already split and held together with cable ties. The offside front will be badly damaged by the wheel clamp and the jockey wheel will be a mess as they towed on it.