Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Apr 2018, 08:03 (Ref:3817652)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2018 - Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 4 of 21

Sorry, ladies and gentlemen. I've been too busy to put up a preview yet, but I'll do one tonight. Please post in here to discuss events in Baku.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3817677)   #2
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The worst happened to Verstappen... again!

Another driver error which lead to a crash.

Old 27 Apr 2018, 11:27 (Ref:3817695)   #3
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
The worst happened to Verstappen... again!

Another driver error which lead to a crash.

On board looked very strange with the rear going after very small steering input. Looked like something was broken to cause that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 Apr 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3817723)   #4
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise View Post
On board looked very strange with the rear going after very small steering input. Looked like something was broken to cause that.
Possibly an extra 150% rear bias when he touched the brake paddle?

No doubt Renault has to be blamed for this as well.

Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3817733)   #5
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To me it just looks like he lost it under braking. Like the rears locked up and then he was mostly along for the ride. Not much room in that corner to recover if something goes wrong (such as a lockup under braking)

Richard
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3817734)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I would not be shocked if that is how it is spun. Then again, it's just in practice, so they may save throwing Renault under the bus for later in the weekend if something goes wrong in qualifying or the race.

Richard
Old 27 Apr 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3817744)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ricciardo seems to be on a roll atm, it’s great to see. Max is still feeling the pressure it seems, but that problem at the end of the session won’t help
Old 27 Apr 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3817754)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Possibly an extra 150% rear bias when he touched the brake paddle?

The commentators in P2 offered that Max had mentioned wind changes.
More like ambition exceeding ability.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 18:51 (Ref:3817775)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thoroughly enjoyed last year's GP, it was like an IndyCar street race. Whether there's a repeat this year remains to be seen. Also looking forward to see if Ricciardo and Red Bull can keep up the momentum, after the Chinese GP and turn the WDC and WCC into a three way battle with Hamilton/Mercedes and Vettel/Ferrari.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 01:34 (Ref:3817815)   #10
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Good news for the Mercedes customer teams in Baku.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...onger-1030865/

Now we know of the Renault customer teams updates, and Honda are working on their own upgrades. But where do the Ferrari customer teams stand with their engine supplier? Has there even been an upgrade to the Ferrari customer teams since the season begun??
Old 28 Apr 2018, 01:48 (Ref:3817818)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed last year's GP, it was like an IndyCar street race. Whether there's a repeat this year remains to be seen. Also looking forward to see if Ricciardo and Red Bull can keep up the momentum, after the Chinese GP and turn the WDC and WCC into a three way battle with Hamilton/Mercedes and Vettel/Ferrari.
I really like this circuit, it is an honest one that penalizes mistakes.

As far as the three way battle for the WDC and WCC goes it would appear that Charlie and his "competition safety car" are all over it!
Old 28 Apr 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3817843)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Although the venue doesn't mean much to me, I am hopeful of an eventful race. It's that kind of place
Old 28 Apr 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3817898)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel grabs pole. It looked like he was going through the motions in Q2 but nailed it in Q3. Lewis in second spot. Kimi was looking good but messed it up.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3817903)   #14
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Gasly came close to having one almighty crash! Very, very lucky boy. Hartley was day dreaming there. He should've been off the racing line more.

Vettel on pole with Hamilton and Bottas following. Let's see how Vettel goes without his wingman to help him. Top 5 on supersoft, with Raikkonen the first on the ultra. Should be interesting.

Old 28 Apr 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3817920)   #15
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Gasly came close to having one almighty crash! Very, very lucky boy. Hartley was day dreaming there. He should've been off the racing line more.
Smell it? I reckon he was sitting in it.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3817923)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Shame for Kimi.

Fun Q. Well done Vet.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 19:15 (Ref:3817933)   #17
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did anybody notice how much the Ferrari front wing was flexing in qually. I notice it from an on board camera in the first or second part.
On a lighter not has Vettel been biting his lip recently or was there another reason for his lower lip looking the worse for wear!
Old 28 Apr 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3817949)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Did anybody notice how much the Ferrari front wing was flexing in qually. I notice it from an on board camera in the first or second part.
On a lighter not has Vettel been biting his lip recently or was there another reason for his lower lip looking the worse for wear!
Maybe he's got a cold sore?
Old 28 Apr 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3817962)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why would that make the front wing flex?
Old 28 Apr 2018, 22:50 (Ref:3817964)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
On his lip, not the front wing.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 23:59 (Ref:3817970)   #21
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It's a result of Ferrari's top secret flexible front wing control system, which is controlled by the drink straw, in an F-duct type of way. Red Bull also has a similar device. Ricciardo was sporting a similar bottom lip injury in China.

Ricciardo last round:

Vettel this round:

Old 29 Apr 2018, 00:16 (Ref:3817972)   #22
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Driver reactions post qualifying.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...ualifying.html

Old 29 Apr 2018, 00:35 (Ref:3817976)   #23
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
No referral of Hartley to the stewards for messing around on the racing line and nearly killing his team mate, never mind impeding his lap and forcing him down the escape road?

Most dangerous situation in years.

This system is clearly broken!
Old 29 Apr 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3818001)   #24
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ricciardo was sporting a similar bottom lip injury in China.

Ricciardo last round:

Riciardo bit his lip in the course of the China or Bahrain weekend, after which it got infected as he had several days travelling to various countries and functions, before going to London after a factory visit to have a minor surgery.
Quote:
Ricciardo referenced the ailment following his victory in China that required a medical procedure in London prior to this weekend’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

“It took me five days to get back to Monaco after winning in Shanghai, and it seriously felt like I was on the go for all five,” he wrote in a column on the Red Bull website.

“I wish I had some decent stories of crazy three-day parties and that sort of thing to share with you, but it was about as uneventful as celebrations get.

“I was on multiple flights connecting the night after the race, went straight into the Red Bull Racing factory at Milton Keynes, had time in the simulator, and then I had to get some minor surgery.

“I had this weird thing with my lip happen in Bahrain the weekend before where I bit it, and it must have got infected or something because I kept biting it over and over.

“So I had to get that taken out and stitched back up in London, so that – and a fair bit of talking about China – was basically the week after Shanghai.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/04/27...-china-gp-win/

Last edited by E.B; 29 Apr 2018 at 07:30.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3818008)   #25
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bit it? I bet they just visited the same Chinese escort!