Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Apr 2021, 11:41 (Ref:4048071)   #51
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Wonder what capacity the engine was ?
Old 27 Apr 2021, 18:43 (Ref:4048144)   #52
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not comment too often nowadays as no one seems to react to my posts, but on this occasion l feel compelled to say that Werner wad obviousy much quicker than Alesi, but had no way to overtake unless there was a mistake from Alesi, which appeared to happen. Werner was so close, as is his right & as Alesi slowed for whatever reason, Werner made contact & lifted the rear of the Ferrari, causing the loss of control & then contact with the wall.
In period, this would be regarded as one of those things - now called a racing incedent - & no action would have been taken.
It should stay that way & Werner should have been awarded, or rather kept the win.

Applying the modern analysis is killing historic racing, just like it has killed all modern racing ; please don't go there.

My opinion ; please reply or ignore as you see fit.
MartinH
Old 27 Apr 2021, 19:00 (Ref:4048147)   #53
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Martin I agree but if it was a historic race in States he would have been totally screwed!
It’s what happens when you give proper Historic Cars to people who are only interested in racing and don’t have to pay the bills
Old 27 Apr 2021, 19:10 (Ref:4048152)   #54
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Rudy ,just for you!
My personnel view of You Tube coverage.
Comical commentary- Andy Marriott and his mate showing his lack of knowledge about Historic Racing. He’s an expert from mid 60,s on contemporary racing when he was with Motoring News and very close to Chris Lambert .Spent many years in States covering IMSA.
Very small grids due to people pulling out with COVID situation so with that in mind and why bother running the event?
The commentary team decided Nash in Pre War race had a preselect gearbox.Seems this is unique in a Pre War Nash?
Does that make my comments more lucid?
I only watched the 1500 cc F1 race. To be honest there were only a very few cars and it was blooming boring race, the commentators did well to find stuff too talk about. in my opinion. Hey what do I know. ,See you this weekend John.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4048155)   #55
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Martin I agree but if it was a historic race in States he would have been totally screwed!
It’s what happens when you give proper Historic Cars to people who are only interested in racing and don’t have to pay the bills
John, l agree with you, but if Alesi did slow, for whatever reason, then Werner was caught out, with nowhere to go, or are we now saying that all drivers must remain 10 metres ( lets say ) behind the car in front just in case ?

Very difficult call to make & to enforce.

For sure, no one wants to see cars damaged unneccesarily, but. it's nice to see close racing, unaffected by the scourge of modern day aerodynamics.

I hope Werner at least offered to pay the damage to his car, if not the Ferrari.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 21:52 (Ref:4048171)   #56
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In car footage just out shows Alesi did miss a gear.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 08:42 (Ref:4048213)   #57
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
..Werner wad obviousy much quicker than Alesi, but had no way to overtake unless there was a mistake from Alesi, which appeared to happen.
It's the usual story at Monaco - it's quite possible for a slower car to stay ahead (recent example being Daniel Ricciardo in the Red Bull with energy deployment issues winning).

Quote:
Werner was so close, as is his right & as Alesi slowed for whatever reason, Werner made contact & lifted the rear of the Ferrari, causing the loss of control & then contact with the wall.
In period, this would be regarded as one of those things - now called a racing incedent - & no action would have been taken.
It should stay that way & Werner should have been awarded, or rather kept the win.
Agreed - there was simply no time to react to what happened, he had to be close to have any chance and when you're close sometimes you get caught out if the car in front makes a mistake - it's just one of those things.

Quote:
Applying the modern analysis is killing historic racing, just like it has killed all modern racing ; please don't go there.
This is a bit more tricky - I think because of modern health and safety, the current "someone must be to blame" and "I'm going to sue" way of thinking it's not possible to enforce "historic" driving standards. As with a lot of things it can be subjective - in this case I think they got it wrong (but I don't have the experience the stewards have so my opinion is just that).
Old 28 Apr 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4048252)   #58
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Martin, how is the life in your area?
Supreme irony, Werner knows not only the place but this Ferrari too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_s9ItkJy4
Alesi says he never missed a gear and that, to make it short, it was only a show and that Werner's attitude was inappropriate and that he had not the philosophy of respect.
Talking about respect, Werner's racing file, modern or historic, speaks for itself imo.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 13:11 (Ref:4048275)   #59
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In this clip on twitter it does sound (if you listen carefully , and I note Alesi said no missed gears) as if JA's engine revs suddenly jump as in a missed gearchange at that exact moment. Just sayin'....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1386684420090998785

Of course the rise in rev's could also be from the Ferrari rear wheels being momentarily lifted when Werners nose slipped under the Ferrari rear end.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 14:11 (Ref:4048286)   #60
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was a video, available overnight but now taken down I think, from the Alesi car and view angle was from airbox to cockpit, clearly, misses it in a glitch of a second which covered the length between him and Werner. Werner reacted the only way he could and that's it but now, it's gone, disappeared...
Old 28 Apr 2021, 16:41 (Ref:4048322)   #61
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It was great to see Michael Lyons' very sporting gesture to Marco Werner after the race.
Yes, a real gentleman, what a noble attitude. Great driver too.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4048716)   #62
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Hi Martin, how is the life in your area?
Supreme irony, Werner knows not only the place but this Ferrari too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_s9ItkJy4
Alesi says he never missed a gear and that, to make it short, it was only a show and that Werner's attitude was inappropriate and that he had not the philosophy of respect.
Talking about respect, Werner's racing file, modern or historic, speaks for itself imo.

Gerard, hi there - long time since we've communicated - lots of changes to life since lockdown ; big one is no race events, but I did go to Hockenheim 2x during the last month ; supporting competitors from Lux, running in the German HTRT series & hoping to do a trackday at Spa in mid May.

Maybe we will be able to do a Dijon event sometime this year, though PA have cancelled most of their events this year already.

You take care & hope to be at race events before the year ends !!!

Martin
Old 30 Apr 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4048726)   #63
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes a long time, Martin. Dijon by PA looks a little bit too soon regarding the H situation here, the reopening of shops and restaurants wont be enough to send the virus away I fear. Will your Alfa friends go to Nogaro, for instance? Not the worse place to race in France IMO.
Take care too, will be great to meet you again, anytime any place!
Old 30 Apr 2021, 18:59 (Ref:4048800)   #64
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

H maybe sorted by 10 pm Sunday!
Old 4 May 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4049543)   #65
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes a long time, Martin. Dijon by PA looks a little bit too soon regarding the H situation here, the reopening of shops and restaurants wont be enough to send the virus away I fear. Will your Alfa friends go to Nogaro, for instance? Not the worse place to race in France IMO.
Take care too, will be great to meet you again, anytime any place!

Gerrard, hi again ; sorry for thelate reply.

I'm not sure what our plans are this year (again !!) - will look at Nogaro events & see what they say.
Cheers, Martin
Old 4 May 2021, 11:42 (Ref:4049593)   #66
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I cant enough recommend to stay safe at home and wait for the country you like to visit to get sorted about the H situation… Not the case here ATM…