Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Jun 2021, 11:20 (Ref:4054197)   #26
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
It was- I saw it too and it was stunning , and so much prettier than the poor old TR3 which spawned it.
Gorgeous.... some more pics here of one pre / during / post restoration.
https://britishsportscars.com/envira...0-restoration/
Old 1 Jun 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4054213)   #27
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperClan View Post
Richard, you should have rung!

It was mid-morning - a bit late to call in a stand-in......or I might have tried for the local Mr Yeomans

Incidentally Andy, didn't know you'd stood in for Joyce, but of course I didn't know that she had been ill until I messaged her yesterday.....

A day in the Safety Car is interesting - I've done it a few times (once with Jasper Clan at the Birkett) and it does give you another perspective.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4054216)   #28
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
There was a very pretty Alfa Zagato Junior in Paddock 2 on Saturday but I didn’t see it race on Saturday or Sunday, nor does it seem to be in the results. Anyone know any more?

Yeah it belongs to my mate - was only finished a few weeks ago. He trailered it down from Broughton in Furness to test at Oulton prior to the CSCC race a few weeks ago, only for the steering box to crack open as he started to move it in the paddock. Cue retirement from race.

With replacement steering box fitted, he trailered it back down to Donington on Friday to test before this weekend' s Swinging 60s - did one session getting 1.31s and feeling the car had plenty more in it. Went out for a second session and the effectively brand new Mocal oil cooler "exploded" at Redgate (see below).....engine seems to be dead......it will turn over (without plugs in) with the aid of a long bar on the crank nut, but he's looking for another engine. Anyone got an Alfa 1300 twincam knocking around?

I'm not sure I dare wish him "3rd time lucky"
Attached Thumbnails
Nicks oil cooler.jpg  
Old 1 Jun 2021, 12:34 (Ref:4054220)   #29
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Yes that's it - simply gorgeous little thing and presumably with TR3 engine fairly quick and reliable. I wonder how many survive?

I went to seek it out after you'd mentioned it - guessed it was TR based as (a) it had a Triumph sports register sticker on the boot, and (b) the instruments looked reminiscent of my old Vitesse ones.......and it had a sort-of TR shape lurking under its pretty curves
Old 1 Jun 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4054222)   #30
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
It was mid-morning - a bit late to call in a stand-in......or I might have tried for the local Mr Yeomans

Incidentally Andy, didn't know you'd stood in for Joyce, but of course I didn't know that she had been ill until I messaged her yesterday.....

A day in the Safety Car is interesting - I've done it a few times (once with Jasper Clan at the Birkett) and it does give you another perspective.
Yes it was interesting to be in the SC and hear (and be part of) all the comms, and to those that moan about SC deployments or about race control i would suggest people go and try it, it is an eye opener, particularly when you consider the amount of info beinfg sent in to RC if there are multiple incidents
Old 1 Jun 2021, 12:59 (Ref:4054225)   #31
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I can only second this - a very enjoyable day spent overlooking the Craner Curves and the Old Hairpin in the sunshine.
It was a great two days with a wonderful variety of cars and absorbing racing. Donington looked splendid in the sun. I thought the spectator numbers were very strong and I was struck by how young many looked with lots of kids too. I love the cars because they were part of my youth but what relevance they have for someone of forty or so I don't know. Perhaps it's just a great spectacle. Good to see though. Mind, everyone looks young to me nowadays
Old 1 Jun 2021, 13:36 (Ref:4054230)   #32
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Yes it was interesting to be in the SC and hear (and be part of) all the comms, and to those that moan about SC deployments or about race control i would suggest people go and try it, it is an eye opener, particularly when you consider the amount of info beinfg sent in to RC if there are multiple incidents
Indeed; as someone who sits in the passenger seat reasonably frequently (and did a full season with British GT in 2019) I've found myself juggling several handsets at some meetings:

SC specific radio (two way)
Incident radio (listening)
Post chief/flag radio (listening)
Coordinator radio (two way)
...and sometimes listening to the race director's teams channel, too.

When something big happens, the channels light up and once we have an idea where it's all happening, the volume gets turned down!

Club meetings at e.g. Mallory are simple by comparison, as everyone is on the same channel.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4054242)   #33
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It was- I saw it too and it was stunning , and so much prettier than the poor old TR3 which spawned it.

And the styling seems to be a precursor to the Fiat 2300 Coupe of the 60s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	692353205df4a19b6c44e594f39058593324e936.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	68890
Old 1 Jun 2021, 19:01 (Ref:4054270)   #34
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you look at pictures of a Ruffino and a Gilbern, you understand why MGD appreciates both. The 2300 S was somewhat special for a coupé because it offered enough room for four adults and their luggages. And the Abarth built engine was powerful while offering a lot of torque all over the powerband.
Old 1 Jun 2021, 22:22 (Ref:4054292)   #35
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Watched the YouTube coverage of today's racing, and am curious to know the reasoning for CTCRC permitting the Anglias to run with pre-crossflow 1500 engines because as far as I can recall, they were never produced by FMC. Maybe Robyn of this parish will know, as he pilots one in the pre 66 series?

To help Anglias become more competitive against Lotus Cortinas/Mustangs.
Same for Austin A30s/A40s at 1293cc or Minis at 1380cc.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 10:57 (Ref:4054337)   #36
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
To help Anglias become more competitive against Lotus Cortinas/Mustangs.
Same for Austin A30s/A40s at 1293cc or Minis at 1380cc.

Thanks for that information, Peter, but still a little confused as, back in the day, all these cars would have been battling for their individual class honours not trying to compete directly with the Lotus Cortinas and the Yank tanks.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 09:05 (Ref:4055264)   #37
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
HRSR and CTCRC have always run 1500 Anglias, its because they're a prehistoric half chassis/half monocoque shell and heavy. Homologated weight for a 1200 Angle box is only 10kg less than a Cortina GT. MInis are lighter by a full size passenger.

I had to bust a gut to get to 730 with my car, likewise you'd have a job with an Anglia if it had proper windows and factory steel panels.

a good mini will have a similar power to weight ratio to a 1500 Anglia. and If memory serves all raced pretty closely together in CTCRC with Cortina GT's as well. . . Subject to the nut behind the wheel !
Old 8 Jun 2021, 09:06 (Ref:4055265)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Thanks for that information, Peter, but still a little confused as, back in the day, all these cars would have been battling for their individual class honours not trying to compete directly with the Lotus Cortinas and the Yank tanks.
very few bother trying these days. I was tempted to build an ultra light 1200 delux Cortina some years back, just for a laugh!
Old 16 Jun 2021, 20:42 (Ref:4056741)   #39
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Lots of pics from the CTCRC: https://bit.ly/2S3IvnF

Just about the most eclectic selection of cars I've had in a single album! A bit of a bias here towards the Classic Thunder monsters and the wonderfully eccentric Pre-66s, but all the grids are represented.

Donington is interesting to photograph. There are lots of great views but many are a loooong way from the track and I no longer bother carrying the very heavy 200-500mm lens, so many of these pics either have the car small in the middle of a wide shot or are heavily cropped, so the quality isn't quite what I'd normally hope for.

Still, I hope you enjoy!
Old 17 Jun 2021, 07:01 (Ref:4056777)   #40
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Nice pics of nice cars - but , as you say , we civilians are now destined to be located a country mile from the track at Donington . What a sad contrast to its opening years, when one could watch F2 , F 3000 and Gp C from close range .

I was at CSCC Cadwell last weekend - and ,as ever ,' every prospect pleases'. At the Hall Bends (and elsewhere ) one can almost touch the cars .
Old 17 Jun 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4056798)   #41
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Superb circuit but I've not been able to make it to Cadwell this year, I am still pretty nervous about long distance travelling involving overnight stays. Everybody seems to think that these vaccines make you immune from infection but I am not convinced.
Old 17 Jun 2021, 11:18 (Ref:4056825)   #42
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Nice pics of nice cars - but , as you say , we civilians are now destined to be located a country mile from the track at Donington.
To a large extent I think this is just the nature of the park. Donington has big sweeping curves with viewing from high banks. There are places you can get much closer but it doesn’t have the intimacy of Brands Indy or parts of Oulton Park. I don’t mind this - these tracks all have their own character.

It’s just my laziness in not wanting to lug the heavy 500mm lens around which makes the longer Donington shots harder. That said, it forces me to look for interesting backgrounds like the bridge or the house, even if the cars end up being small dots sometimes!
Old 17 Jun 2021, 11:55 (Ref:4056828)   #43
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I find by far the best place to watch now at Donington is the little populated entrance to the chicane on the outfield- it give me the engagement which only proximity can provide . I used to enjoy Redgate and Old Hairpin but the run off areas are now quiet absurd. If possibly not so much if your perfectly restored Lotus Elite is travelling backwards towards the wall ...

Melbourne Loop is terrific - remember seeing DTM there but last time I was able to see racing there was 2017..