Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2021, 06:29 (Ref:4062611)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
ELO rating of 2021 F1 drivers

As people familiarized with chess knows, ELO rating is a (scientifically based) system to rate and rank chess players according to their results. This system (or others similar to it) has subsequently been used in some other sports and, particularly, in online games.

-------------------------------------------
Warning: boring babbling jargon ahead
You can junp to the end of this section
-------------------------------------------
Basically, the ELO (after Dr. Arpad Elo) of a "player" is a number meaning the performance of that player. To put it in context, a 200 ELO points of advantage for A respecting B mean A has aprox a 75% probability of win against B (i.e. A will beat B aprox 75% of times), while and advantage of 100 ELO points mean aprox a 67% chance of winning.

One of the beauties of this system is it allows to calculate the probability of win for any player against any other player or estimate how many wins will have in a series of plays (races). Another use, in fact its main use, is to rank the players according to their results.

In the case of racing I will take each race as one "game" where driver A wins over driver B if A is better classified than B in that particular race. Thus, the winner of a race is seen as winning against all his (not her in this F1 case...) opponents. As with chess, it doesn't if the win is marginal or devastating, the result is win or lose (let's note there is not draws here).
---------------------------------------
End of babbling
---------------------------------------

By now, there has been 10 "games" (races) and the matrix with all the wins/loses of every driver against every other driver (only the first 8 in the championship) is as follows:
Code:
VER - 5 8 8 8 8 8 8
HAM 5 - 8 7 8 9 8 9
BOT 2 2 - 7 6 7 7 7
NOR 2 3 3 - 5 7 8 9
PER 2 2 4 5 - 7 6 8
LEC 2 1 3 3 3 - 6 7
SAI 2 2 3 2 4 4 - 5
RIC 2 1 3 1 2 3 5 -
For example, Verstappen has won 8 times against Bottas, who only won 2 times against Verstappen.

The calculated ELO for all those 8 drivers, putting arbitrarily 2800 ELO for the best driver (because 2800 tipically is the ELO of a chess world champion type of chess player) are:

Code:
HAM 2800
VER 2788
NOR 2643
BOT 2634
PER 2607
LEC 2525
SAI 2496
RIC 2443
Not huge surprises there (there cannot be really any , isn't it?) but perhaps it is slightly surprising Lewis is above Max. It is due to Hamilton having slightly better results against Leclerc and Ricciardo.

According to those ratings, Norris has aprox a 75% winning chance against Ricciardo (that is a 3-1 winning ratio). The real data between them is even crueler: 9-1 . It shows the 9-1 score is a bit bad luck for Ricciardo in comparison to how both of them perform against other competitors. I.e. without bad luck, Ricciardo would have 2-8 or 3-7 versus Norris.

Rating difference between teammates is minimal in Ferrari but it is around 150-200 points in the other teams. It means typically the strongest teammate beats the weakest one 70%-75% of times.
Old 22 Jul 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4062737)   #2
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
This is really interesting, thank you!
Old 22 Jul 2021, 23:46 (Ref:4062769)   #3
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
This is really interesting, thank you!
Thank you!
Old 23 Jul 2021, 09:38 (Ref:4062821)   #4
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More ELO....

Lewis Hamilton - Send It

Christian Horner - Telephone Line

Max Verstappen - Hold on Tight, followed by I'm Alive.

Kimi Räikkönen - A Long Time Gone

Seb Vettel - It's Over

George Russell - I'm Leaving You

Mick Schumacher - One Step at a Time

Valtteri Bottas - Destination Unknown

Daniel Ricciardo - Easy Money
Old 23 Jul 2021, 09:55 (Ref:4062822)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
More ELO....

Lewis Hamilton - Send It

Seb Vettel - It's Over

Well played Sir

On the numbers, actually thats really interesting and quite a cool way to compare....I would also suggest that It does paint a pretty accurate picture of how most people would consider the rankings to be.
Old 23 Jul 2021, 10:09 (Ref:4062826)   #6
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
More ELO....
Top work
Old 23 Jul 2021, 12:21 (Ref:4062836)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hahaha that is brilliant!

I hope this season ends with a Showdown!
Old 23 Jul 2021, 12:25 (Ref:4062837)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also surprised by Lewis being ahead...i suspect its on account of the last race?

I would watch more chess too if it was a contact sport!
Old 23 Jul 2021, 13:13 (Ref:4062843)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post

On the numbers, actually thats really interesting and quite a cool way to compare....I would also suggest that It does paint a pretty accurate picture of how most people would consider the rankings to be.
Lando deserves something there, surely?
Old 23 Jul 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4062844)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

I used to play 'Suicide Chess'......

Although not deliberately.......
Old 24 Jul 2021, 20:06 (Ref:4063016)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Also surprised by Lewis being ahead...i suspect its on account of the last race?

http://chessboxing.site

BUT... I think it is a sport designed for Russians! It's like a win-win for them.
Old 24 Jul 2021, 20:12 (Ref:4063017)   #12
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
More ELO....

Lewis Hamilton - Send It

Seb Vettel - It's Over

One of my favorites is "(It's a) Livin' Thing" .
I think it is applicable to Bottas.
Old 24 Jul 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4063018)   #13
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I used to play 'Suicide Chess'......

Although not deliberately.......
I used to play chess between three players, moving sequentially, which is crazy as one player moves some times as white and other times as black (let's call it Michael Jackson Chess). After playing several games in an afternoon you could prefer "suicide"...