Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2002, 20:09 (Ref:289123)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why exactly did Coulthard hit the pit wall at Adelaide 95

This must go down as the funniest moment in F1 history. But why exactly did Coulthard crash in the pit lane in Adelaide 95. The only two causes I can think of is brake failure or driver error. I think it was driver error, but is this right?:confused:
Old 17 May 2002, 20:23 (Ref:289129)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ooooo. that was embarressing for him . Yer , he just came in too fast , pit lane was a bit dusty , and into the wall he went . ...oooooops
Old 17 May 2002, 20:48 (Ref:289145)   #3
racing_guru
Rookie

racing_guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe his story was that the throttle stuck open or the engine didn't downshift, one of those two reasons. I agree very funny, almost as funny as when he spun off on the formation lap while on pole.
Old 17 May 2002, 20:53 (Ref:289146)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i heard that he'd had some sort of throttle problem, but i believe that there was also something slippery at the entrance to the pits...............but yes, very funny!!!
Old 17 May 2002, 20:56 (Ref:289147)   #5
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The press report handed out after the race by Williams called it driver error or "brain fade" in Mclaren terms.
His career should have been dead and buried there after but some how there always appeared a sucker to hire him on again...
Should have hired Mansell in 95 Frank.

Regards

Guy
Old 18 May 2002, 01:10 (Ref:289215)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was complete brain fade on his part. The pitlane was very dirty, but he went in way too fast to even get round the corner anyway, braked but slid on the dust and that was that.

Funniest thing I had seen up to that time.
Old 18 May 2002, 02:24 (Ref:289238)   #7
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the story i heard was that the renault had a very high idle, causing him not to slow down enough plus the fact that the pitlane entry was a bit dirty {plus DC being over enthusiastic}
as for someone saying williams should have hired mansell instead, are you kidding???
Old 18 May 2002, 02:39 (Ref:289246)   #8
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sure would be embarrasing!!
But then again,he was in his early career and in a top team,so there was lots of pressure.I easily forgive him for that mistake.What has bugged me about him is the way he keeps telling everyone he is a champion & DESERVES the Maclaren.
Old 18 May 2002, 04:51 (Ref:289289)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by calais
as for someone saying williams should have hired mansell instead, are you kidding???
Frank should have hired Nigel imo also. he won the last race of '94 and would have carried that confidence into the '95 season. i realise that it could be argued that what happened at McLaren was a waste of time, and yes, it was, but given a potential championship winning car, Nigel could have done more with it than Coulthard! the only thing is, had Nigel been signed, it would have effectivly ruined Damon's career imo, as after spending the majority of '94 (following Senna's death) as team leader, he would have been put back to the second driver spot in the eyes of many in the williams camp due to Nigels experience!

Last edited by Mr V; 18 May 2002 at 04:52.
Old 18 May 2002, 07:56 (Ref:289336)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell deserved a 1 year contract for 1995 without a doubt . Frank made a bad choice that year IMO , and this may make somepeople chuckle , but ive always firmly beleived that Mansell would have had a damm good shot at the title in 1995 , even though the williams wasnt as good as the Benneton that year , he wouldnt have been intimidated by TGF one little bit and there would have been big fireworks for sure .
Old 18 May 2002, 11:33 (Ref:289395)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Frank made the right decision. Yes, he lost both championships in 1995, but I don't think Mansell would have made a difference. Plus, the Williams broke down more than usual that year, remember the problems for Hill at Brasil, Spain and Canada, or DC at a lot more places...
Old 18 May 2002, 12:51 (Ref:289430)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
the difference is Jordi, in my opinion, Mansell has a stronger personality than both Hill and Coulthard and would have given Williams and Renault so much s*** that they would proberbly not have had so many failures!

Coulthards throttle problem (as was rumoured) at Australia was something that he had moaned about previously, but apparently said "when you've got time to look at it" Mansell would have been screaming his head off, the mechanics may not have liked it but they would have got it sorted out! has anyone seen the 1991 review video where Mansell has a glitch at the start (can't remember what race) and gives David Brown an absolute b****cking!
Old 18 May 2002, 13:23 (Ref:289449)   #13
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that why a lot of williams personell never liked him!!!!
Old 18 May 2002, 13:29 (Ref:289452)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by calais
that why a lot of williams personell never liked him!!!!
agreed, but, thats why Mansell became wdc and won 34? races and why Coulthard will never be wdc and when he's "outed" by Ron at the end of this season, will not win another race! it's all well and good DC being a nice bloke, but it's not done him any good! (not saying that Nigel isn't a nice person, but he can be a b**tard when he needs to be!)
Old 18 May 2002, 13:33 (Ref:289453)   #15
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing with DC is I don't think he's ever admitted driver error when he's gone off. Even if it was his fault he wouldn't admit it.

I remember when he went off in practice for Monaco a few years ago in the McLaren. He blamed the shunt on a set-up change and he 'didn't know how the car was going to behave'..

Damon Hill has a similar sort of shunt a little later on and said he wasn't going fast enough, he tried to go faster and he crashed. That's one of the reasons why I liked Damon over DC. He could admit driver error (too many times unfortunately ).

I don't think I've ever heard DC admit a driver error (though correct if I'm wrong) so I don't think anyone will get to the bottom of it.. apart from him anyway!

Last edited by Spudgun; 18 May 2002 at 13:36.
Old 18 May 2002, 16:54 (Ref:289536)   #16
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the Patrick head had said that they (Williams) were happy to sign him (Nigel Mansell) for 1995, but he couldn't make a test session at Jerez and Patrick Head apperently said we we won't bother if he won't show the commitment.
Old 18 May 2002, 19:37 (Ref:289585)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Murray Walker's commentary on this was the funniest thing of all (I think you can still get the soundclip on www.F1rejects.com)
Old 18 May 2002, 19:47 (Ref:289608)   #18
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC: "I changed down a gear, I was in third and pulled down for second at the beginning of the pit lane, then there was a push from the engine and I had my foot on the brake. As I turned the corner with my foot on the brake the engine drove and pushed me forward, I locked up the front wheels and drove into the wall. The only way I could have avoided it would be to change down the gear sooner, but I didn’t know this until was too late. I am very disappointed as I started the race well."

Eric Faron (Renault engineer): "It would be wrong to say it was completely his fault. It was a combination of circumstances."

Last edited by LucaBadoer; 18 May 2002 at 19:51.
Old 19 May 2002, 01:04 (Ref:289839)   #19
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wowowo.....u r all wrong.
There was oil on track, can't u see the oil mark in the clips/video?
There was an engine problem on some guy just b4 DC went to pit(cant remember who it was) he was pouring liquid all the way down the pitlane.

plus he got a throttle problem.
Old 19 May 2002, 02:03 (Ref:289858)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's no excuse at all for running into the pitwall. That was his own mistake, but remember, DC doesn't make mistakes...
Old 19 May 2002, 02:16 (Ref:289861)   #21
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any video ?
Old 19 May 2002, 03:25 (Ref:289870)   #22
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coulthard words then were memorable. He said that he had a problem with the "idle strategy" of the engine.

Undoubtedly a fantastic neologism.

Perfect soundtrack for this crash: "Full On Idle", by The Amps (side-project of Kim Deal, ex-Pixies and now The Breeders)
Old 19 May 2002, 04:04 (Ref:289880)   #23
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why????????????

Quote:
Originally posted by f1truestory
wowowo.....u r all wrong.
There was oil on track, can't u see the oil mark in the clips/video?
There was an engine problem on some guy just b4 DC went to pit(cant remember who it was) he was pouring liquid all the way down the pitlane.

plus he got a throttle problem.
I was there in 1995 & it was sand not oil and YES it was a throttle problem!
Old 19 May 2002, 06:06 (Ref:289910)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Why????????????

Quote:
Originally posted by ozrevhead
I was there in 1995 & it was sand not oil and YES it was a throttle problem!
Yeah, DC forgot to take his foot OFF IT!!
Old 19 May 2002, 15:32 (Ref:289995)   #25
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here is the video
------------------------------------------------------------
http://video.f1gp.ru/95/adelaide/coult_adel_95.mpg
------------------------------------------------------------