Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1054736)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jag Want A Brit

ITV F1 are reporting David Pitchforth as saying
“I’d like a British driver. I appreciate a British driver for a British brand like Jaguar would be very advantageous.”
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30815

Ermmmmmmmm excuse me?
That didn't seem to count for anything at the end of last season....on a positive as the rest of the article is about DC maybe being a bit pricey theres a chance we may get to see a young hot shot in a Jaguar. What's the deal with Klien for next season?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1054787)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we'll see DC or Davidson in one car and Klien probably in the other.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 08:50 (Ref:1054794)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It's a shame they didn't feel this way when Justin Wilson was driving for them. How must he feel now reading this?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 08:52 (Ref:1054800)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe they'll have him back.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1054801)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
my feelings exactly..re Stephen's point
I think its extremely unlikely JW will be back at Jag, but then again we should know by now that anything is possible

Last edited by PaulSands; 3 Aug 2004 at 08:54.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1054832)   #6
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see Justin accepting an offer from them unless its worth a lot of money. Hes happy in Champ Cars where people try to build you up rather than **** on you.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Aug 2004 at 11:06.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1054874)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well said Mackmot.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1054899)   #8
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was AD I'd rather carry on testing at BAR than go to Jag - If I was DC and this was my only option, I'd retire.

That team is just one big green disaster zone with spineless management and would be better off trying to win le mans or touring cars or something cheaper.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1054911)   #9
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Problem is AD wont be able to carry on like this year cos BAR have been too succesful..any running would have to be away from the race weekends and his profile could suffer as a result...Jag are do a good year next year arent they, isnt that how it works one bad one good one bad etc.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1054929)   #10
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as Jaguar have been run poorly in the past, they have done wonders for Webbers career, so it goes to show what can be achieved there if you have the personality to get the team around you. They are capable of qualifying in the midfield, and the engineering department seems quite capable. If I was AD I'd take Mark for a beer and go through with him what's what in the team - tap his brain to find out who are capable, what turns the management on at Jaguar.

I think they're a safe bet, if you have a strong character.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:20 (Ref:1054932)   #11
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
Jag are do a good year next year arent they, isnt that how it works one bad one good one bad etc.
paul, i'd agree with you but i'm afraid for jaguar it has been one bad followed by another bad and then another so by rights and yes, they should be due a good year. seriously though, i'll keep saying this as i've said it in other posts, i really think that jaguar would have a very strong driver lineup in dc and a. davidson. one does have a wealth of experience and the race craft to win and the other is a blindingly quick up-and-comer. the only thing that NEEDS to happen is for the collective brass at jaguar to pull their heads out of their collective a**** and PRODUCE a car that is capable of consistently taking the fight to the big boys. just my thoughts...
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1054941)   #12
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
It's a shame they didn't feel this way when Justin Wilson was driving for them. How must he feel now reading this?
Glad to be out of such a disorganised, uncompetitive, self-serving team I suspect, especially as he's doing so well in ChampCars.

Coulthard would be a good option for Jaguar, as he could try to gel the team and lead it forward. If they have an experiecned lead driver, they could do worse than Davidson as well.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1054944)   #13
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They won't go for 2 Brits. They want the Red Bull money, so it'll either be Klien or Liuzzi in the 2nd seat...
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1054955)   #14
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Liuzzi's off to Ferrari isn't he?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1054961)   #15
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely DC is like going back to the Irvine years and that didn't do a lot of good did it?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 11:53 (Ref:1054965)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
From what I can gather the whole point of Jag being in F1 was to try grab a younger demographic, something they are claiming some degree of success in doing. Logically that might propmt them to go for young firebrands...not that Coulthard is exactly old (younger than me that's for sure ) but he's probably seen as a bit too establishment stuffy old guard now. Klien & any one of the young guns would suit me..ideally Ant, Paffet or Green but that's just my bias

Last edited by PaulSands; 3 Aug 2004 at 11:55.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1054979)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
From what I can gather the whole point of Jag being in F1 was to try grab a younger demographic, something they are claiming some degree of success in doing. Logically that might propmt them to go for young firebrands...not that Coulthard is exactly old (younger than me that's for sure ) but he's probably seen as a bit too establishment stuffy old guard now. Klien & any one of the young guns would suit me..ideally Ant, Paffet or Green but that's just my bias

You mean me?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1054980)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spider
As much as Jaguar have been run poorly in the past, they have done wonders for Webbers career...
I'm not so sure about that - Mark Webber has done a lot for Mark Webber's career, by being very fast and fiesty despite being in that rather so-so car.

Having said that, I don't think Ant should be afraid to go there - a drive is a drive and he needs to get in the races and make his mark.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1055003)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So put a Pom in the car.. is Our Nige doing much these days??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Aug 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1055116)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Jag wants an experienced Brit - Then DC is their best choice.
But if Jag wants an ambitious and talented Brit - They should think about Davidson, although DC still has both of these qualities.

Last edited by Mekola; 3 Aug 2004 at 13:44.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1055136)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's also worth bearing in mind that Mark Webber said some time ago that Bjorn Wirdheim would be racing in 2005 - might he replace Klien?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1055172)   #22
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
One name that cant be totally ruled out of any equation is Scott Speed...given his performances in the renault V6's and the oft professed desire by both Bernie & Red Bull to get an American into F1 he could well be a dark horse.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1055179)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Scott Speed is not in Renault V6 - he's in FR2000.

His career has been affected by illness - hence his step back from F3 last year.

He's definitely one for the future, but not F1 just yet.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1055319)   #24
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about soon-to-be Euro F3 Champ Jamie Green?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 3 Aug 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1055335)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I presume that was the 'Green' PaulSands suggested.

I doubt they'd go for 2 youngsters, although Davidson and Wirdheim seems like a goosd lineup.