Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 13 May 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2461342)   #1
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
X-flow inlet manifold gasket failure - is this common?

My friends' Formula Ford inlet gasket has failed too often recently and, after checking, we can find nothing wrong. Flat faces, bolts nip up. The gasket keeps 'blowing out' near the heat exchange chamber and we can only assume this vessel (which is obviously stopped up from it's normal exit to the heating system (?) I think) is acting like a kettle, gaining heat when standing after use and finding its way into the inlet manifold. It is not sealed up at the head outlet and this is what we are about to do to cure it (we hope).
Are we correct? After 18 yrs racing same I've not come across this problem....Being at the top of the engine and maybe with some air inside -Is it super-heating the gasket?
Old 13 May 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2461522)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The only time I've seen one blow out is if the engine is if the engine isn't tuned correctly. Either ign/mixture/valve timing or a combination of all three.
It can backfire on the overun and because the butterfly is closed it will blow the gasket out.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 May 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2461564)   #3
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
That's a point GS, he hasn't had time to rolling Road it - it's a guess at the moment. Ta for that one.
Old 13 May 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2461577)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Its the only thing I can think of at the moment having used crossflows since they were made. I can understand one but not loads
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 May 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2463093)   #5
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I used to run FF 1600s we always used to smear a little silicone sealent on the inlet to head face gasket as they were prone to leak water at this point.
Old 20 May 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2466006)   #6
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Yep Barry, always have done. Seems this is an odd one. Rolling road booked to get timing dead right. Head outlet blocked - if it happens next race we'll be scratching or even scrapping heads...
Old 3 Jun 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2474514)   #7
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
Completed race after plugging water outlet. All seems OK. What was that?