Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Nov 2004, 08:00 (Ref:1160503)   #1
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old Motorsport Books. what hve you got.

I have got these old formula 1,books called Automobile year books.Nos 17. 23. 25. they have all the old tracks and Formula one pictures etc .they date from 1969-70. 75-76. 77. 78. Thats what Ive got just wondering what any one else has.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1160553)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not got many, I do have a book called 'Racing Cars' given to me by my Dad, who was given it when he left school in 1974. Lots of photos of 50's and 60's F1 cars.

Last edited by Hobson; 22 Nov 2004 at 09:10.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1160560)   #3
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Hi Hobson
The other book I have could very well be the same book you have. Called The World of Racing Cars. by Eric Dymock. I got that one for 21st, in 72.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1160789)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only book in my possession that even comes close as an old motorsport book is my autobiography of Gilles Villeneuve.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1160791)   #5
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Formula Ford. It even has a sample budget for £1000
Old 22 Nov 2004, 13:46 (Ref:1160825)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not sure how we are classifying "old" here? Are we assuming, say, pre-80's mitzi dude? If so, I'm not sure I have anything, as most of my books come from purchases I made in the mid-80s, such as "The Certain Sound" by John Wyer and "Colin Chapman, The Man and His Cars" by Jabby Crombac.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 22 Nov 2004 at 13:47.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1160945)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Oh jeez...last time I counted I had around 700 all told...and will have added substantially to it...

I have all Autocourses from 1975 and a few beforehand, all Hungness Indy yearbooks, all Guba/Nye Race Reports, all JPS Motor Yearbooks, plus autobiogs by Wilbur Shaw, Pete DePaolo, Wyer, and Caracciola, Mike Lang's superb 4 volume history, all of the Black Books on F1, all of the Fielden NASCAR books, books by Sammy Davis and Prince Chula, Full Throttle by Tim Birkin, Nye on Cooper, Williams and mavericks, Rose, Karslake and Venables putting flesh on the Sheldon bones of pre-WW1/voiturette racing, TASO Mathieson's book on the GPs before 1914, the 2 volume Le Mans history, the 4 volume Monaco history, Weguelin on the ERA, Klemanataski Himself, and loads and loads of others that are both ancient and modern (one underrated classic for rare photos at a bargain price is Georgano's "Motor Racing Camera" - Deemster and Motobloc from 1900 and fast asleep).

Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?
Subtle innuendos follow...must be something motoring...

It's where most of my spare cash goes. And not-so-spare cash.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 22:05 (Ref:1161256)   #8
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Aysedasi, no limit onthe age it was I had these books and wanted tosee what every oneelse had. what you have got is awsome.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1161274)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a book called 'Motor Racing The International Way - Number One' published in 1970 about the 1969 racing season, with round-ups of Stewarts championship, and Tyrrell's involvement with Matra; a report on the Gulf GT40's close win at Le Mans, a small bit on L. J. K. Setright's drawings of what F1 cars might look like in the mid-70s, and other very interesting articles, all written by those who were involved, i.e. John Wyer wrote the bit on Le Mans, and Bruce Mclaren talks to Doug Nye about Can-Am.
Very good book.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1161512)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Righto then, looking on my shelf at home right now, I can pick out a few of my favourites:-

"Theme Lotus" Doug Nye
"Le Mans" Andsers Clausager
"Le Mans Porsche" John Allen
"Grand Prix Greats" Nigel Roebuck
Old 23 Nov 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1162034)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Theme Lotus eh?
Sounds good, any idea if it would still be available anywhere? (guessing not)
Old 23 Nov 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1162095)   #12
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most good motorsport bookshops will be able to track down a "Theme Lotus" for you. Most ask about £40 - £60 but it's worth every penny. Be aware that there are three updates to the original printing, going right up to the Senna era.

One of the very best motoring books from Doug Nye, who can always be relied on.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 08:35 (Ref:1162527)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That much Tim? More good news. My copy does include the Senna era (or, as I recall, part of it anyway).
Old 29 Nov 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1167403)   #14
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of my books are fairly new but I do have a copy of Graham Hill's biograpy 'Graham' by Neil Ewert. Graham died before he could finish it (twenty-nine years today), but Bette Hill finished the book describing how his death affected her and how she coped.
If I can include fiction I do have an original copy of a book called Carlotti Takes The Wheel by one Mike Hawthorn.

Stsve B