Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2539650)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari V's McLaren - Healthy Respect With The New Guys

This season without Ron Dennis and Jean Todt at the helm there appears to be a real rivalry between McLaren and Ferrari, as normal, but with a healthy respect for each other. It seems quite a refreshing renewed competition but without the sniping.

Thoughts?
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2539715)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes darcym. My thought is that initially it appeared a forced outward appearance of respect and amicable relations, due to things like the need for them to be seen as united for FOTA, but as time goes by I think tensions have been soothed. It helps that they're not currently in a title battle though.

The press releases on the Formula 1 website after qualifying and the races involve acknowledgement of any other teams' achievements. Still a bit artificial maybe, but I suppose behind all the intensity of rivalry, there is probably still fun and banter to be had between team personnel.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:20 (Ref:2539724)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
It think you have to look at the people involved. Martin Whitmarsh and Stefano Domenicali both seem very different from their predecessors.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2539733)   #4
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It think you have to look at the people involved. Martin Whitmarsh and Stefano Domenicali both seem very different from their predecessors.
yes, that was my feeling also
Old 13 Sep 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2539770)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes both Martin and Stefano seem like very nice guys, nice to see that for a change..
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:09 (Ref:2539811)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
FOTA has brought them together against a common enemy. I'd also agree that the men at the helm seem more personable than their predecessors, particularly in Domenicali's case.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2539820)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I really like Stefano. Martin Whitmarsh seem's ok too, but still has some "ronways" about him, especially some of the words he uses.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2539821)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
One is English and one is Italian...
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2539823)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just wait until they are in a title battle and protesting each others cars all season long.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2539974)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I really like Stefano. Martin Whitmarsh seem's ok too, but still has some "ronways" about him, especially some of the words he uses.
It's hardly surprising, he has been at McLaren for a very long time! It's fairly inevitably that he's going to reflect the organisation that he's in (I should know, I'm a management consultant and everyone knows we talk in riddles ).

Still, it is good to see an end to all that tedious tit-for-tat protesting between McLaren and Ferrari. Although I am inclined to agree with Knowlesy that they can only call a cease fire because neither team has much to play for right now.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Sep 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2540148)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
You can 100% be totally certain that they would be protesting each other endlessly if they were fighting each other for the titles. That is a different thing, though. That is normal.

The issue of more friendly diplomatic relations, if this is indeed the case, is a distinct thing to my mind.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2540241)   #12
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, it is delightfully refreshing to see both camps 'getting on'.
True, if they are head to head over a future championship then things might revert, but somehow I don't think it will get out of hand like previous times.
With Stephano and Martin at their repective helms it is thankfully much, much less of a possibility.
Just not their style.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2540260)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's good to see. Some love the drama of animosity, but frankly there is plenty of that in F1, so it's good to see different teams getting on. They all love and want the same thing, after all.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2540411)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess Super Hans was spot on. Most of us, from our fan perspective, thought the spygate was a dogfight between Ferrari and McLaren, but under the surface a major concern was spreading between the teams - specially the both mentioned - that they were puppets for the FIA/Max demands. If anyone remember, what many people thought to be unbelievable, Ferrari people went to McLaren headquarters, and much more happened away from the media eyes. That's one of the reasons I think that the teams (and yes, FOTA) are the soul of Formula One.