Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 7 Jul 2003, 06:41 (Ref:654426)   #26
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm about limited to 60 in my diesel Landrover too.

Another trailing caveat: check your insurance and if necessary get separate cover for your race car when being trailered (it's not too expensive given the alternative)
Old 7 Jul 2003, 09:07 (Ref:654550)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Ive only had a trailer a few months so am new to this . . . .I towed at 65 70 no problem, although nearly all in the dry . . . .our brakes on the trailer need a good service, but the wheels are all wellers with yokohoma tyres ! suffice to say the seller had a mini Marcos with 10" wheels to spare!
Old 7 Jul 2003, 21:48 (Ref:655288)   #28
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the replies, its all interesting/useful.
I have a couple of other questions about towing.

my car manual says that the nose weight on the trailer should be 75Kg, this sounds a bit light and also how do you know when you've reached that weight ?

Also while towing single seaters, does anyone cover the car or cockpit with anything or does it just fill with water when it rains ?
Old 8 Jul 2003, 06:45 (Ref:655521)   #29
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woody,

I'd recommend covering it if you can, I've seen all sorts of methods of doing this from home made tonneaux to sheets of tarpaulin cable tied in place. Or, buy a car with a roof and windows

Nose weight etc. etc. and general towing law and advice can be found here courtesy of the RAC.

Cheers

Richy
Old 8 Jul 2003, 09:09 (Ref:655587)   #30
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just bought a caravan and use this method for working out the nose-weight.....
A set of bathroom scales and a piece of wood...
Piece of wood inside the tow hitch and rest it on the scales with the nose of the trailer or caravan facing slightly down...
You can buy a proper tool for about £15 to measure the nose weight as well....
With regards to stabilisrs.........
Have had a new hitch fitted to the caravan which has a built in stabiliser....It consists of friction plates inside the hitch which are clamped around the ball and combine to make aneffective stabiliser....
towed quite a heavy caravan down the motorway being passed by coaches and artics and the van did not sway at all.....
Old 8 Jul 2003, 09:44 (Ref:655611)   #31
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the weight is right it will not sway anyway! (who else has done 100mph with a 1300kg car on a trailer?)
Old 8 Jul 2003, 10:06 (Ref:655622)   #32
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If the weight is right it will not sway anyway! (who else has done 100mph with a 1300kg car on a trailer?)
Nobody with any sense I would say..........
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:11 (Ref:655676)   #33
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can sit on most dry motorways doing 80 with my covered trailer (made by the well known chaps in Daventry).
Old 8 Jul 2003, 13:29 (Ref:655821)   #34
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Ive done 95mph with 25 tons on a trailer
Old 8 Jul 2003, 13:31 (Ref:655826)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wha? You mean there's a speed limit?
Old 8 Jul 2003, 14:01 (Ref:655856)   #36
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
apparently
Old 9 Jul 2003, 07:57 (Ref:656579)   #37
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most we ever saw was about 80mph,it started swaying about 70 but didn't get any worse so we didn't bother slowing down.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:25 (Ref:656596)   #38
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Warwick
Most we ever saw was about 80mph,it started swaying about 70 but didn't get any worse so we didn't bother slowing down.
Being in NZ you wouldn't have far to go then!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 10:22 (Ref:656708)   #39
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have done 130 kmh up Hume Hwy in NSW towing caravan with trucks all around ..would pass them up hills but they catch and pass going down hills...of course they go REAL fast so had to keep up with them...i think there is some sort of speed limit in NSW towing trailers but who cares ..got to Sydney in no time just in time for morning peak hr
Old 9 Jul 2003, 10:27 (Ref:656710)   #40
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In all seriousness, I have been known to forget that I'm towing. This has two effects. One my fuel consumption goes through the roof (it's nor good at the best of times) and two, I get a serious fright when I see a six foot high Capri in my rear view mirror!

I guess the point is that when towing the most important thing is concentration. That means watching the speed and being aware of the road conditions.

Like everyone else I don't want to lose my race car.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 10:39 (Ref:656724)   #41
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hahaha my old trailer was the same - I would get a real shock to see a car so close!
The important thing is to have a trailer that can tow safetly and without weaving at a decent speed otherwise longer distances will become a real pain.
I have a Brian James and they are good, so are Batemans which is what I had before. My current one is a double trailer and tows fantastically with two cars, the tow truck does get a bit slow on the hills however!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 11:33 (Ref:656754)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I know what you mean PEter . . .I was ultra concentrating on the way home from Silverstone . . .with someone elses race car on the back, and our new car towing it . . . .I was exhausted by the time I got home!

all I can see in my rear view mirror is a cortina rad grille . . .every louvre its so close!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:17 (Ref:657031)   #43
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For interesting details about legal licence limits see http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm.

This is particularly important if you passed your test since 1/1/97.

See also:
http://www.rac.co.uk/carcare/advice/...lp/towing_tips
or perhaps most comprehensively: http://www.ntta.co.uk/

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:22 (Ref:657036)   #44
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just towed my latest aquisition back down from Woking to Dorset this afternoon at 70mph no problems - unfortunately my old Golf wont do much more - its my karting team bus and a bit old and smokey! Anyone know if it would damage the trailer tent putting a rotax max on top? Should I build a frame to go on top?
Heres the beauty: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ory=14256&rd=1
Old 10 Jul 2003, 02:54 (Ref:657547)   #45
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BFC, with the change to National Road rules the old speed limit for towuing in NSW was abolished. Now, all cars are restricted to the posted limit, regardless of trailers.

I concur with the others about towing and concentration level required. Normal driving, i can do Brisbane to Sydney in a day, easily, but towing i have to make it two days, because I'm exhausted by the sheer mental effort.

Being tailgated by a really tall race car is also a little odd.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 03:36 (Ref:657552)   #46
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a scarey as having a ski boat sitting on your @ss

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 10 Jul 2003, 03:52 (Ref:657562)   #47
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
pointy!