Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 9 Sep 2002, 09:16 (Ref:376221)   #51
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I had a great day on Sunday. I saw lots to remember, but my highlight was Barri Williams in the Morris Minor. I dont think I have ever seen a car so consistantly sideways to the track except at rallycross!
That race may have had the most ordinary cars, but what some of those drivers were able to do with them was amazing. Of special note also was Perry MacCarthy in the A40 and I cant remember the driver but an A35 in third place behind the two big Jags!!

Last edited by Mal; 9 Sep 2002 at 09:17.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 09:25 (Ref:376228)   #52
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, 'Wizzo' lived up to his name in more than one race, but the Morris 1000 was spectacular! Where abouts did you watch that race from Mal?
Old 9 Sep 2002, 10:13 (Ref:376258)   #53
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
For Wizzo in the Minor..it had to be Woodcote....

Me, I just spent some time playing with giant Lego.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 9 Sep 2002 at 10:14.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 10:44 (Ref:376277)   #54
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a glorious moment when Barrie Williams came through Madgwick sideways in the Moggie Minor, closely followed by Grant Williams doing his patent sideways trick in the Mk1 Jaguar. Absolutely fantastic.

And the whole of the weekend was absolutely perfect. Met Roy Salvadori, Peter Procter, Alain de Cadenet and Nick Mason. Many other drivers were highly approachable - but I'll let Bluebottle tell you about that. Said "Hi" to Derek Bell and Sir Jack Brabham. That's how involved you can get in the paddock.

Watching the TT race from Fordwater was one of the most exhilarating sights I've seen in a long time, with the three-way battle between the Patrick Tambay/Henri Pescarolo Cobra and the two E-Types of Frank Sytner and Emanuele Pirro/Gregor Fisken a particular highlight.

The left-hander at St Marys was incredible for watching the fifties sports cars, Win Percy taking the D-Type through in a beautiful drift time and time again. Peter Hardman was of course magic in the DBR1, and Tiff Needell's fight from the back should have been rewarded with better than a transmission failure when up in fourth place. That was breathtaking to watch.

The result of the motorcycle race was entirely appropriate, and it was great to see Barry Sheene and Wayne Gardner going through Madgwick giving a "high-five" after a spectacular 1-2 finish. Here's hoping we get to see a re-run in 2003.

Darren Manning proved himself to be a game performer, taking on a Sunbeam Rapier and a Ford GT40 in two very different races, and this just five days before the biggest professional break of his career. He's absolutely rocketed in my estimation.

Lowpoints were few and far between. Frank Sytner's driving was as boisterous as ever, and it was poetic justice that at least one of his retirements was as a result of damage caused when he used his touring-car tactics on another competitor. Sad to see Rowan Atkinson retire the Mk7 Jag before Sir Stirling got his hands on it, and David Coulthard still isn't being allowed to do anything more than pootling demonstration laps in the Mercedes W196. The Tec-Mec 250F is going to need a bit of panelbeating after an unavoidable contact, and I hope that the Ecurie Francorchamps Ferrari 250LM will go back together without too much problem. Having gone off in qualifying and nerfed the pretty back-end, the team bashed it back into some semblance of shape, and sealed up the repair with all the gaffer-tape in Goodwood. Sadly, the squonked front-end the car received in the actual race is going to take a lot more than gaffer-tape to put right. This, however, was the worst incident in a reasonably clean weekend of competition. Goodwood, with its small run-off areas and narrow track can be unforgiving to cars, but this year was safer than some previous ones. Good show.

The atmosphere was as extraordinary as ever. Period touches were much in evidence as usual. The fifties policemen had somehow sourced a real Tardis-like Police Box, complete with telephone and flashing light. The St Trinians schoolgirls were as unruly as ever, and even stole my hat at one point - I'm in excellent company, though, because they took Derek Bell's a few minutes later! And over the whole of the weekend, the Spitfires, Mustangs and Hurricane were as daring and as low as ever. Was it really the cloud cover that they were using as an excuse?

All in all, the best racing weekend of the year, for me. And September 2003 can't come soon enough.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 10:49 (Ref:376286)   #55
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Tim, if you saw Wizzo from Madgwick and Rohan Atkinson retire then you were within a few feet of me, red trainers and all!
Old 9 Sep 2002, 10:56 (Ref:376294)   #56
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TimD, can't agree with you more. A fantastic meeting. I was lucky enough to be competing and the team and I were treated very, very well. I notice that people here were complaining about the marshaling but I found them to be very good. They were on the case with blue/yellow flags which made the whole race a lot easier since I could hardly see anything out my mirrors!

I was in the same race as Sytner and he seemed to be quite polite on the track. Where did he go off in the Glover Trophy? Just saw a few parked cars in the gravel around the circuit...
Old 9 Sep 2002, 10:59 (Ref:376299)   #57
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stephen, I clocked you during the green-flag lap of the Fordwater trophy (gleaming red shoes a give-away) at the post right on the aircraft glide-path. But when the race was over, you'd disappeared again.

If you chatted with Rowan, that would place you a little further round the corner. We walked past that post later, but I missed you.

Never mind - another time.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 11:03 (Ref:376304)   #58
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Fan, what were you running? Glad you had a good time.

Frank coasted round in the Glover Trophy for most of a lap. He passed us through St Marys with his hand up, but it was my understanding he made the pits. The diagnosis came through as diff failure, probably brought on by shouldering Ean Pugh off in qualifying the previous day. Certainly Ean was a lot less than complimentary about Frank when he was asked for an opinion. Frank also retired the E-Type from the TT Celebration with fresh dings in it, but I don't think those were related to the retirement.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 11:21 (Ref:376316)   #59
Fan
Veteran

Tim, I was in the Number 1 Assegai. At the back... Lost the clutch at the start followed by the steering and seat coming loose... Great fun! Ean's a great guy - spoke to him quite a bit. I was just glad to finnish the race in one piece. Rahal was flying!
Old 9 Sep 2002, 11:22 (Ref:376317)   #60
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I was on the inside of the chicane, with a great veiw of the exit of woodcote and the end of the straight. Wizzo exited woodcote every lap almost perpendicular to the road and on several occasions I was sure he would not keep it on the track. One thing that summed up the spirit on the meeting for me was an American driver as he got out of his car after the sports racing car race on Sunday afternoon and shouted to his colleague 'Well I started 15th and worked my way back from there'. He had a big smile on his face and had clearly loved it.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 11:39 (Ref:376331)   #61
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Fan
I was in the Number 1 Assegai.
Brilliant! I've enjoyed seeing the Assegai-Alfa ever since it was spotted at the Coys festival a couple of years back. We need distinctive cars like that every bit as much as the fast boys up front.

Hopefully got some pictures. If the Assegai ones come out, I'll put one up.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 11:48 (Ref:376342)   #62
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Tim, I must have nipped to the toilet when you came past. Call of nature and all that
Old 9 Sep 2002, 11:56 (Ref:376347)   #63
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
I was on the inside of the chicane...
hmm, me too... (in white)...
So, by a process of deduction ...you're a photographer...or you mean you were on the outside at the chicane with many thousand others.
Best demolition of our blocks - Old Yeller II.
Great weekend, although it did'nt really come alive for me until racing started.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 11:59 (Ref:376350)   #64
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woodcote all weekend was simply awesome.. some great driving by plenty.. including an around the outside move for the lead in the Juniors race..

Lowpoints were an upside down Jag XK150, but the driver didn't seem too upset.. the crash in the Forumla 1 race was bad - but just a racing incident and all escape unhurt.. it'll cost plenty to fix though..

Tambay in the AC Cobra probably takes the award of the weekend.. especially in qualifying.. and before i forget.. unlucky Frank..

The weekend is simply the 'best'
Old 9 Sep 2002, 12:15 (Ref:376360)   #65
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Quote - and my dad and Tony Lanfranchi in a 100E (smiley even tho he's nicked my usual seat..)

Congratulations on a fine 5th place overall, could have been 4th given another couple of laps I think.

Simon
Thanks Simon, and all the others who came up to see us during the weekend. Sorry I missed Nick (Bolide) and only got a moment to speak to TimD (in the middle of washing the car ).

The weekend was fantastic! 12th in free practice, eighth in official practice and 5th in the race! Doesn't get much better

My Dad was first out and had a great fight with Tiff Needel in the Mk7 - Tiff blew up while my Dad was attempting to get in his boot with the result that when he came in the windscreen was almost totally opaque!

He came into the pits for the driver change with Norman's Minor right on his tail - unfortunately we came out right on their tail, with barrie now driving the Minor and Tony our car. Not only that but we just missed the exit window and were flagged to a halt for a moment, which let Barrie get away. But I agree, Tony was catching him towards the end

Other highlights for me were chatting with Johnny Herbert, and the Old yeller II team, who were handing out badges left right and centre, as well as chocolate 'kisses' to all the ladies!
Old 9 Sep 2002, 12:27 (Ref:376371)   #66
Mal
Veteran

England
London
No, I am not a photographer and I was on the inside, in the Richmond Lawn hospitality area, which is about 25 - 50 yards past the chicane. There were three flag marshals just in front of us dressed in tweeds etc.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 12:45 (Ref:376390)   #67
Fan
Veteran

Thanks Tim, Would be good to see some pics of the car. We're going to do some testing later this year to sort it out. The set up was a guess and Friday was the first time I drove it. Gearing was all wrong, on the limiter all the way down the straight...Looking forward to seeing any pics you have and hopefully meeting you at next years meeting.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 12:45 (Ref:376391)   #68
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Sorry Mal, I completely discounted the really posh bit. 'Scuse me whilst I tug the forelock, sir.

The 3 in front of you are well known to me. They always work together and make the effort to look the part.
I was one of the marshals that were actually on the chicane, about 30 yards to your left, with 3 other 10/10thers on it.
I reckon we had one of the best spots on the circuit especially since it was combined with the giant TV screen.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 12:57 (Ref:376397)   #69
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Yes but please dont count me in with that lot. I was just lucky to have been given some tickets.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 13:00 (Ref:376402)   #70
Mal
Veteran

England
London
I remember the mess caused by Old Yeller 2, and I was impressed by the speed with which the marshalls swepted the track on which was about the last lap with a very close battle for the lead between the Ferrari and the D Type.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 13:11 (Ref:376413)   #71
Fan
Veteran

Bodysnatcher - I came very close to giving you a bit of work... Nearly clipped the chicane during the race and (very embarrassing) nearly hit the back of someone on the warm up lap... I was looking down at my instruments... honest!
Old 9 Sep 2002, 13:15 (Ref:376423)   #72
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Would that have been at Madgwick in a silver car?
Old 9 Sep 2002, 13:34 (Ref:376444)   #73
Fan
Veteran

Hi Stephen, not sure if that question was for me. If it was, my car was red, in the Glover Trophy. Both moments were at the chicane just before the main straight.
Old 9 Sep 2002, 13:50 (Ref:376456)   #74
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ahhh then you are not the one I saw have a 'moment' on the warming up lap at Madgwick then
Old 9 Sep 2002, 14:12 (Ref:376489)   #75
Fan
Veteran

No, but I'm glad to hear there was another muppet out there who nearly made a fool out of themselves....