Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 31 May 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3825882)   #1
Yuri G.
Rookie

Yuri G. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pikes Peak 2018

I open this thread hoping to do not break any rules as a fresh registered user.
I lurked for a lot this epic forum and I now finally decided to register.
I'll do my best to make as little grammar errors as possible but I already know that they will be a lot since English is not my native language.

Closed this personal footnote I'm here to ask you if I'm the only one who think that Loeb's record is at risk next June 24.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3832881)   #2
Yuri G.
Rookie

It seems that Dumas did it in 7'57"
Old 24 Jun 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3832943)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sub 8 minutes.

https://www.autosport.com/other/news...es-peak-record
Old 25 Jun 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3833027)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Incredible. I'm looking forward to watching this later.
Old 25 Jun 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3833057)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Bentley also broke a record - fastest production SUV with a Bentayga (who even knew that there was a record to break for that!).

That VW was insanely fast though - and a good example of where electric power does have an advantage - no drop off in power as the altitude increases and the instant torque is useful out of the corners.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3833124)   #6
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri G. View Post
It seems that Dumas did it in 7'57"
When Peugeot took Loeb to Pike's Peak, they did a big hoopla, livestreams, talking about the car, the factory, the training, etc. They even took the oportunity of restoring and re-releasing "Climb Dance" from back when Peugeot took the 406 RallyeRaid with 4WS to Pike's Peak.

From VW, not. a. peep. They have their own history on Pike's Peak, but that was with the Audi GroupB rallycars, and although Audi had to leave the WEC because they used Diesel, and this car is (allegedly) using a drivetrain with some relation to the Porsche Mission E's drivetrain, it's VW that needs the PR cleanup from Diesel fumes.
And yet, they did nothing with it.

Now that they won, the info is coming out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZLQvuwsgg

Last edited by tigas; 26 Jun 2018 at 00:34. Reason: added video
Old 26 Jun 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3833125)   #7
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Some more videos coming up.

These were published yesterday, Romain testing the drivetrain on a Golf R body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oklPmmtSxmQ

And (parts of) the climb with some commentary, and interviews at the summit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsfecynMpag

This record can come down, Romain wasn't perfect, it was very dusty, they were conservative with the settings. I just hope some other manufacturer picks up the gauntlet next year and gives VW a reason to really push this car.

I finally found the ID-R development videos, they're all jumbled up at the VW UK Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBnu...MJ9H3rqLyUa8nB

Last edited by tigas; 26 Jun 2018 at 01:12.
Old 27 Jun 2018, 16:56 (Ref:3833341)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does anyone else not really feel that excited by an elextric car breaking this record?

I am rather sad about it actually
Old 27 Jun 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3833361)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 27 Jun 2018, 19:45 (Ref:3833364)   #10
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just want to go back to steam power with a man at the front waving a red flag - that's when cars were real maaan
Old 28 Jun 2018, 21:55 (Ref:3833507)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even Loeb's record is not really that special, that was basically a 908 LM car underneath!

Monster Tajima for me is the main man, he was the quickest when it was mainly dirt, and the likes of Rod Millen etc, Eklund who were doing quick times on dirt. That is real talent
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3833560)   #12
Yuri G.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Does anyone else not really feel that excited by an elextric car breaking this record?

I am rather sad about it actually
The original post was made hoping to come back and talk about a record set by a PP rookie on a 2wd car powered by an internal combustion engine.

Unfortunately the team was hit hard by misfortune.
Anyway the time set by Dumas was probably not achievable by Simone, Loeb's record instead was achievable according to practice sectors time.

All the extra test VW made on the Peak and mostly the huge budget (compared to private teams) made once more, as commonly happen in motorsport, the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Even Loeb's record is not really that special, that was basically a 908 LM car underneath!

Monster Tajima for me is the main man, he was the quickest when it was mainly dirt, and the likes of Rod Millen etc, Eklund who were doing quick times on dirt. That is real talent
Not really, the only parts borrowed from the LMP were brakes and the rear wing.
The frame was tubular and the engine a petrol turbocharged V6.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3833652)   #13
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Yep, this doesn't look like any LMP1 I know of
Old 29 Jun 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3833653)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It’s blummin’ brilliant and oddly that makes some people so miserable they have to make forum conversations boring and stop any chance of a vibrant discussion.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3833683)   #15
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have VW released any 'on board' coverage yet?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3833685)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Sorry, does nothing for me. And for a lot of people I know I'm afraid.

Electric cars are dull, disintretging and simply built to please a board, nothing more.

I imagine VW will now probably try and beat the Rong record aswell?

The Loeb was built using a lot of ex WEC bits if you actually read about the build carefully, that's why they did it as they had a ton of stuff lying around and not much to use it for, the engine is ex WEC aswell.

And it was far closer to a real car than some electric go kart.