Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Dec 2018, 06:18 (Ref:3870119)   #2151
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I have nothing against Nic, he always comes across well and he is a quicker driver than I would be, but the problem is that much as your right, he is his own man, how many times will his brother be mentioned on ITV coverage? How many people would be the aware of or have slightest bit interested in him otherwise?

I know its hard for him because of his disability, but at the same time I would rather he got there despite disability rather than because of it.
I've not got a problem with broadcasters introducing a driver and referring to their family.

When Andy Jordan first arrived his father was always mentioned.
Ricky Collard was Rob's son.
I'd expect the same if one of Matt Neal's sons appeared on the grid.

I just don't get why someone would be criticised because of a family connection, or why people can't move on from that quite quickly.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 07:06 (Ref:3870123)   #2152
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I've not got a problem with broadcasters introducing a driver and referring to their family.

When Andy Jordan first arrived his father was always mentioned.
Ricky Collard was Rob's son.
I'd expect the same if one of Matt Neal's sons appeared on the grid.

I just don't get why someone would be criticised because of a family connection, or why people can't move on from that quite quickly.
Yep, I get that point, I think the difference is that Ricky Collard and Andrew Jordan have had pretty accomplished careers prior to landing in BTCC.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3870129)   #2153
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, I get that point, I think the difference is that Ricky Collard and Andrew Jordan have had pretty accomplished careers prior to landing in BTCC.
Can I suggest that Hamilton has done more car racing than Jordan before he entered the BTCC?
Old 14 Dec 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3870136)   #2154
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Well he's not there on talent alone is he, be honest.
And how many seats in motor racing are filled on talent alone? Driver talent is not the number one priority for most commercial racing teams especially at the level of the BTCC.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3870137)   #2155
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Can I suggest that Hamilton has done more car racing than Jordan before he entered the BTCC?
Hmmm your right he probably has, but im basing that on results tho.. Andrew had won multiple races and Rallycross titles and in Ginetta's. Ricky has won races at a high level being runner up in MSA formula and Formula 3.

Nic, with all respect, has had some 13th/14th places in Clios from the last couple of years

Compare him to say Billy Monger, the perception of him would probably be a Racing Driver who happens to be disabled, Nic Hamilton on the other hand is Lewis Hamiltons disabled brother who does some racing.

I do like Nic, although this probably comes over quite negative, and I know hes there because he can afford to be - like a lot of drivers on the grid. If he keeps a team afloat for a season then its a good thing.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3870139)   #2156
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Looking at both drivers racing careers prior to btcc, Jordan has done far more than Hamilton.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3870145)   #2157
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Ok let’s try! Anyone reckon any more surprises to come? Proctor, Goff & Cook all actively saying they have nothing sorted respectively for next year. Just keeping themselves in the media or making a point?
I think Cook is close to a deal, and is just trying to find more sponsors.

Proctor is in talks with more than one team, but there are better funded drivers also chasing those seats.

Goff looks doubtful unless he suddenly comes up with some very big sponsors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Who thinks the following will be on the grid next season?

Michael Caine
Sam Smelt
Rory Butcher
Ethan Hammerton
Brett Smith
Ollie Pidgley
Josh Caygill
Tom Boardman
I'd expect to see only one of them. Butcher has a deal signed and I believe will be announced before Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Cole - Motorbase, would be genuinely surprised if he isn't put it that way.
There's no seat for him at Motorbase.

Quote:
Tordoff - I reckon he'll be back, just a question of where.
I'm expecting that announcement next week.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 10:05 (Ref:3870146)   #2158
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Looking at both drivers racing careers prior to btcc, Jordan has done far more than Hamilton.
How many Championships has Lewis's little brother won......
Old 14 Dec 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3870148)   #2159
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How many Championships has Lewis's little brother won......
Yes but by that measure how many F1 podiums has Hulkenberg had?
Old 14 Dec 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3870149)   #2160
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post

Proctor is in talks with more than one team, but there are better funded drivers also chasing those seats.

I'd expect to see only one of them. Butcher has a deal signed and I believe will be announced before Christmas.

Only 4 of those names are names that make things sound exciting where they bring talent as well as the funding to go racing.

Cook,tordoff,Goff,Proctor.
It would be a shame to see them lose out to some people of the calibre of the longer list,
Old 14 Dec 2018, 10:57 (Ref:3870156)   #2161
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Yes but by that measure how many F1 podiums has Hulkenberg had?
We are not judging Hamilton Vs Jordan on BTCC results tho, we are working on what they have done in their career to get there

prior to F1 (considering we are talking about getting to a series on achievement) Hulkenbergs CV reads as:
2005 Formula BMW ADC CHAMPION
2006-07 A1 Grand Prix CHAMPION
2007 F3 Masters CHAMPION
2008 F3 Euro Series CHAMPION
2009 GP2 Series CHAMPION

his results to get him into F1 have been as good as I think its possible to be, and pretty much on par with Lewis. Considering they are both competing in F1 is pretty irrelevant

If you use the argument as you have put it, Hulkenberg and l Hamilton have had pretty similar results to get to F1, however (mainly due to car differences) results in the series are completely different
N Hamilton and Andrew Jordan are completely different with 1 being there on talent (multiple series wins, father was a driver) and the other being there on fame (no results of note, brother is a megastar)
Old 14 Dec 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3870161)   #2162
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
I think the Moffats will be using it still. They are currently giving it a refurb up in Scotland.
I have just seen elsewhere that the Moffat's have now acquired the Infiniti cars from a couple of years back. I wouldn't bank on it being the Mercedes Aiden turns out in.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3870165)   #2163
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have just seen elsewhere that the Moffat's have now acquired the Infiniti cars from a couple of years back. I wouldn't bank on it being the Mercedes Aiden turns out in.
Those cars would need plenty of work doing to them to get them up to the Merc's performance levels, not sure there is enough time before the season start to strip all the weight out and fit the RML kit. Unless a lot of work has already been done.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3870166)   #2164
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
The picture I can see shows the ex palmer car in a workshop with Moffat and 16 on it.
It is on the Maximum TCT page with Aidens initial comment being:
"Well.. now that I have acquired both Infinities I would be happy to speak to drivers who are interest in racing in this championship"

followed by:
"Very surprising how good these cars actually are after getting our BTCC engineering team to have a proper look at them "
Old 14 Dec 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3870167)   #2165
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
We are not judging Hamilton Vs Jordan on BTCC results tho, we are working on what they have done in their career to get there

prior to F1 (considering we are talking about getting to a series on achievement) Hulkenbergs CV reads as:
2005 Formula BMW ADC CHAMPION
2006-07 A1 Grand Prix CHAMPION
2007 F3 Masters CHAMPION
2008 F3 Euro Series CHAMPION
2009 GP2 Series CHAMPION

his results to get him into F1 have been as good as I think its possible to be, and pretty much on par with Lewis. Considering they are both competing in F1 is pretty irrelevant

If you use the argument as you have put it, Hulkenberg and l Hamilton have had pretty similar results to get to F1, however (mainly due to car differences) results in the series are completely different
N Hamilton and Andrew Jordan are completely different with 1 being there on talent (multiple series wins, father was a driver) and the other being there on fame (no results of note, brother is a megastar)
Exactly whats Hulkenberg got to do with it ?
Old 14 Dec 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3870168)   #2166
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
The picture I can see shows the ex palmer car in a workshop with Moffat and 16 on it.
It is on the Maximum TCT page with Aidens initial comment being:
"Well.. now that I have acquired both Infinities I would be happy to speak to drivers who are interest in racing in this championship"

followed by:
"Very surprising how good these cars actually are after getting our BTCC engineering team to have a proper look at them "
Its the same as the BMR situation bet those scoobies are a decent car if you have the money to back it up.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 11:43 (Ref:3870169)   #2167
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Interesting, thanks didn’t realise Motorbase was full without Cole.

Good that Cook’s close & not surprised a lot of people are chasing the PMR seat, tho would like to see Proctor on the grid still.

The only loss would be if Goff’s not on the grid, the ‘other’ grid fillers won’t be missed on track tho Caine will be missed in the paddock, as he was later on this year.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3870170)   #2168
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
By better funded driver chasing the pmr seats, 2 and 2 together making 5,
Jason back in a vauxhall ?
Old 14 Dec 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3870178)   #2169
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly whats Hulkenberg got to do with it ?
My point is that results are not necessarily a indicator of talent He won everything up to F1 and is still highly rated yet never had a podium Point poorly made sorry!

Last edited by billy bleach; 14 Dec 2018 at 12:11.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3870181)   #2170
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
To be fair, I can see your point, There are enough F1 drivers over the years who got there winning absolutely nothing but carrying a cheque book (sometimes even with those bouncey ones in it!), however these drivers don't generally last long or get a huge amount of interest from the viewing public.

Unfortunately with Nic, I can't see him ever being anything than a token driver there on publicity value not talent.

But is he any worse than some of the drivers we have had in recent years?
Old 14 Dec 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3870184)   #2171
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be fair, I can see your point, There are enough F1 drivers over the years who got there winning absolutely nothing but carrying a cheque book (sometimes even with those bouncey ones in it!), however these drivers don't generally last long or get a huge amount of interest from the viewing public.
Not any more. The FIA Super licence put paid to that a while ago. you have to win or place very highly in a number of championships to get a chance at F1... no matter how much money you have.
Old 14 Dec 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3870195)   #2172
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Unfortunately with Nic, I can't see him ever being anything than a token driver there on publicity value not talent.

But is he any worse than some of the drivers we have had in recent years?
OK, these two examples aren't The BTCC but Daley Thompson certainly brought some interest to the National Group N Championship as did Barry McGuigan to the Metro Turbo's some years ago. (I'm carefully not mentioning Emmerdale's Kelvin Fletcher's exploits however...)
Old 14 Dec 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3870198)   #2173
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
bet those scoobies are a decent car if you have the money to back it up.
Over the last three seasons, only Hondas have taken more pole positions and more wins than Subarus, so they are not exactly hiding their potential!
Old 14 Dec 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3870212)   #2174
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
Over the last three seasons, only Hondas have taken more pole positions and more wins than Subarus, so they are not exactly hiding their potential!
but the hondas din't end up with ballast being put in an unfair place a few days before first race of a season ruining the handling did they
Old 14 Dec 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3870213)   #2175
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Think he'll be stupid to switch the Merc for an Infiniti.... looks like the Q50s are destined for a running in Lines' Touring Car Trophy.