Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Apr 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3394082)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTCC Rounds 4-6 Donington Park

All going well we should see 31 cars out, with Dan Welch's Proton now ready.

Fingers crossed for more good racing, perhaps more split out with Doningtons faster flowing nature.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3394119)   #2
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think there might be a few moans about traiffic during qualfying, can we have a go at guessing how many cars safety get past Redgate?
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:25 (Ref:3394288)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
i think there might be a few moans about traiffic during qualfying, can we have a go at guessing how many cars safety get past Redgate?
I wonder will they introduce a progressive knockout format for qualifying a la F1... or possibly just a top ten run off ?
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3394293)   #4
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I wonder will they introduce a progressive knockout format for qualifying a la F1... or possibly just a top ten run off ?
Perhaps a showdown where they have one shot?
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3394297)   #5
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not a "Dunlop Desperate 6" where the 6 slowest drivers over both practice sessions fight to actually get into the main qualifying event...
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3394300)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Why not a "Dunlop Desperate 6" where the 6 slowest drivers over both practice sessions fight to actually get into the main qualifying event...
Nah... I don't want to see people turned away from the racing. That would leave a very sour taste in everyone's mouth.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:54 (Ref:3394303)   #7
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the current format worked around Brands Hatch Indy, then leave it be.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 09:58 (Ref:3394304)   #8
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always think that unless there is a flaw in the system (not people making errors based on it) then you shouldn't change it.

It's why I absolutely hate the double points rule in F1, and why NASCAR is just a show for me.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 10:00 (Ref:3394305)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
If the current format worked around Brands Hatch Indy, then leave it be.
Traffic was an issue at Brands Indy and over the course of the year I think it will become a source of driver moaning... particularly if it results in one of the title contenders getting out of position.

... also, Alan Gow's never a one to let an entertainment/excitement opportunity pass by.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3394307)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I always think that unless there is a flaw in the system (not people making errors based on it) then you shouldn't change it.
Fortunately society thinks differently otherwise we'd still be living in caves
Old 18 Apr 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3394494)   #11
emicen
Rookie

Scotland
Glasgow
emicen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Indy is the smallest circuit of the year, there won't be the same crowding at Donnington unless theres a sudden last minute charge to do a hot lap.
Scottish MINI Cooper Cup racer [Car #3]
Old 19 Apr 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3394842)   #12
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone fancy BMR Restart first podium tomorrow ??

and looks like another disaster for Motorbase , best Ford Newsham in 14th

the RAR Audis again doing very poorly on this track, must be a boogie for them
Old 19 Apr 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3394849)   #13
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressive running from Hynes in FP1, fastest of the MGs. Hoping for a good weekend from him!
Old 19 Apr 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3394934)   #14
porsche962fan
Veteran

team BMR Restart flies !!

Gio finally inside top 10, may end up on podium with reversed grid in race 3

Neal and Jordan really struggle with weight ballast
Old 19 Apr 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3395028)   #15
porsche962fan
Veteran

Qualy over

familiar faces on top 4 , surprise Row 3 with Smith and Menu, well in striking range of podium, also fancy Turks to do a lightning start and be at front

Neal rather behind

we can conclude the Motorbase Ford is one of the worst cars on the grid, fastest Gio only 11th...

I wouldn't blame Gio if he switches teams if a better seat is offered
Old 19 Apr 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3395113)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
we can conclude the Motorbase Ford is one of the worst cars on the grid, fastest Gio only 11th...
I don't think we can (!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I wouldn't blame Gio if he switches teams if a better seat is offered
Are you referring to 'teams' outside of the BTCC here ? In case you weren't aware, there isn't exactly a oversupply of funded drives on the look out for professional drivers in the BTCC.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3395120)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What do you think is wrong with the Focus?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3395144)   #18
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I don't think we can (!)
with Matt Jackson, Newsham and now even Gio failing to bring it inside the top 10 something is really wrong with the Focus, as you remember it didn't peform stellar last year either

Quote:
Are you referring to 'teams' outside of the BTCC here ? In case you weren't aware, there isn't exactly a oversupply of funded drives on the look out for professional drivers in the BTCC.
I know but who knows, maybe Neal or Plato will finally retire, maybe Gio gets a big sponsor that he could afford a 3rd Dynamics seat dunno a lot can happen in silly season

the championship is on upwards trend and seems sponsors are again willing to invest more in it including capable drivers
Old 19 Apr 2014, 18:45 (Ref:3395171)   #19
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
To be honest, driver quality has improved for this season. Áron Smith is doing what I thought he could do and that is be as fast as one of the best, and guys with good records like Jack Clarke are near the back.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3395181)   #20
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What do you think is wrong with the Focus?
It's a Ford?

In all seriousness, it's a mystery. We know Gio can wring a time out of a crap car from his days in the Astra and his appearances in the WTCC Accord, but he's not on the pace yet.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3395183)   #21
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's a Ford?

In all seriousness, it's a mystery. We know Gio can wring a time out of a crap car from his days in the Astra and his appearances in the WTCC Accord, but he's not on the pace yet.
yeah but he outqualified both Newsham and Mat Jackson who are both quick BTCC veterans

it must something really wrong with the Focus eithe straight line speed or still problematic handling , either way you can take driver competence out of the equation , it's something fundamental with car itself

maybe the Mountune engine is simply not good with low boost , will be interesting how they do on the straight tomorrow
Old 19 Apr 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3395243)   #22
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The Ford did look like a winner again towards the end of the year. Maybe the others have done their homework better and they've been left behind?

Good to see 3 BMR cars in the top eight, Menu surely will add to his 36 wins this year. Maybe the next two meetings as he always went well at Thruxton and Oulton. Of course the reverse grid tomorrow could help him.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3395250)   #23
mjcapri
Rookie

mjcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched qualifying the problem seems to be handling.... Gio took a trip into the gravel at one point and Tim Harvey noted that he'd been complaining about rear end grip. There was a shot of Jack Clarke squirming about all over under braking which further suggests the same. I wonder if the problem is primarily chassis or aero related? It's interesting that the AMD car with last years aero seems to be no less competitive (or no more uncompetitive for that matter).

Jackson used to have his S2000 Focus very tail happy I recall; maybe the problem stems from the team trying to get the NGTC car set up the same way. Gio actually said (in a mag - can't remember which one!) that he had driven cars developed around himself and cars developed around Evan Muller, but he had no idea who the Motorbase Focus had been developed around! No disrespect to Mat by the way I like him as a driver but it seems that S2000 and NGTC behave quite differently in terms of set up.

I hope they can get it sorted either way - they certainly have the people on board to do it.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 01:59 (Ref:3395314)   #24
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So the BTCC crowd is at Donington then?

I didn't hear a peep today and I don't remember thinking that the wind was blowing strongly in the wrong direction. Had to be some action going on - according to the commentary on Donington Park FM Radio.

Are all the cars in all the races really quiet this year? Most track days result in more noise.
Old 20 Apr 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3395348)   #25
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
So the BTCC crowd is at Donington then?

I didn't hear a peep today and I don't remember thinking that the wind was blowing strongly in the wrong direction. Had to be some action going on - according to the commentary on Donington Park FM Radio.

Are all the cars in all the races really quiet this year? Most track days result in more noise.
You probably couldn't hear them over the planes...