Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:04 (Ref:4016597)   #51
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Earlier in his carreer, of course. Not just today.

Lewis grew up after being around for a few years. Max is taking a bit longer to get to that stage.

absolute nonsense , I've seen Lewis angry and beeing angry over the radio as late as the last 2 years.

This year not that much, but he has very little to be upset about so far.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:05 (Ref:4016598)   #52
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I believe the last Canadian to take pole was Jacques Villeneuve, back in 1997 at the European GP at Jerez.
Indeed...and 2 others had set the identical times as he did. By virtue of setting the time first he was awarded pole position.

That was an excellent quali session.

Depending on how tomorrow goes, this too may be also one long remembered!
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:08 (Ref:4016599)   #53
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
absolute nonsense , I've seen Lewis angry and beeing angry over the radio as late as the last 2 years.

This year not that much, but he has very little to be upset about so far.
Yes, just less than he used to. He is far better at controlling his emotions and makes far less stupid or controversial remarks than he did in the past.
Max hasn't learned that (yet) as much as Lewis has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Depending on how tomorrow goes, this too may be also one long remembered!
As long as it doesn't rain hard enough to red-flag the thing. That's not something I'm looking forward to.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:11 (Ref:4016600)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stroll was not penalised. Pole position remains.

Allegations of voter fraud have no evidence.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:23 (Ref:4016606)   #55
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Stroll was not penalised. Pole position remains.

Allegations of voter fraud have no evidence.
The only one who has been penalised (so far) is Sainz, for impeding Perez in Q1.

EDIT:
And Norris, for setting his fastest lap in Q1 under yellow.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:23 (Ref:4016607)   #56
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This Micheal Massi guy, he's still a temporary replacement after they lost Charlie so suddenly right?

One can only hope after some of his decisions today

Letting Q2 start with a tractor on track was probably the worst of them, but also the inconsistency in letting Lance keep his pole for slowing down under yellows but setting fastest time, but penalising lando for the same thing earlier on is bizarre but everything you come to expect from the FIA

And when a serious crash happens, they can hide behind the excuse "the driver didn't slow down enough for the yellow flags" and ignore the fact it's a culture they have 100% encouraged by not being stricter on YF penalites.
You can bring in Halos and VSCs to try and look like you're taking safety seriously, but decisions like todays prove that its seemingly last of your concerns after the TV broadcasts, teams self interests, "the show" or whatever else is distracting them

Maybe it's time the FIA need to look for a new, permenant race director that puts safety at the forefront of his mind?
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:25 (Ref:4016608)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As long as it doesn't rain hard enough to red-flag the thing. That's not something I'm looking forward to.
its going to be interesting. i think there is a bit of a difficult history of first time pole sitters getting into trouble in the first lap. either a poor start and/or just a bit to scrappy.

but its not all bad...am reminded of Webber's first pole (Germany in the wet i believe). it was 2009 cause i know he banged with Barri/Brawn in the first corner, got a penalty, but still found his way back to win the race and become the first Ozzie to win a race in 30odd years.

if Stroll does likewise, it will be a similar time gap to the last win by a Canadian.

fingers crossed we get a little history repeating!
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:28 (Ref:4016609)   #58
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
This Micheal Massi guy, he's still a temporary replacement after they lost Charlie so suddenly right?

Letting Q2 start with a tractor on track was probably the worst of them, but also the inconsistency in letting Lance keep his pole for slowing down under yellows but setting fastest time, but penalising lando for the same thing earlier on is bizarre but everything you come to expect from the FIA

And when a serious crash happens, they can hide behind the excuse "the driver didn't slow down enough for the yellow flags" and ignore the fact it's a culture they have 100% encouraged by not being stricter on YF penalites.
You can bring in Halos and VSCs to try and look like you're taking safety seriously, but decisions like todays prove that its seemingly last of your concerns after the TV broadcasts, teams self interests, "the show" or whatever else is distracting them

Maybe it's time the FIA need to look for a new, permenant race director that puts safety at the forefront of his mind?
It isn't to do with lap time set. It's to do with driver reaction and time through the micro-sectors. Stroll, Bottas and others lost time in the relevant micro-sectors. The McLaren drivers did not.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:29 (Ref:4016610)   #59
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, just less than he used to. He is far better at controlling his emotions and makes far less stupid or controversial remarks than he did in the past.
Max hasn't learned that (yet) as much as Lewis has.

It's become less since Rosberg left and he had no reall challenge for the title, it's easy to stay calm when you win the campionship with ease every year.

also: Max, 23 years old, 6 seasons in F1, Lewis, 35 years old, 13 seasons in F1
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:29 (Ref:4016611)   #60
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
I think not.

Quote:
Letting Q2 start with a tractor on track was probably the worst of them
That was certainly stupid.

It went green before anyone completed thier owut lap, but still.Someone could have lost it on the out lap too.
That had happened before in Q1.

I also wondered what was the difference between Grosjean beached (red flag), and Latifi beached (just the yellow).
Maybe I missed something, but's 2 ot the same, no?

I hate the inconsistency.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:32 (Ref:4016612)   #61
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
its going to be interesting. i think there is a bit of a difficult history of first time pole sitters getting into trouble in the first lap. either a poor start and/or just a bit to scrappy.

but its not all bad...am reminded of Webber's first pole (Germany in the wet i believe). it was 2009 cause i know he banged with Barri/Brawn in the first corner, got a penalty, but still found his way back to win the race and become the first Ozzie to win a race in 30odd years.

if Stroll does likewise, it will be a similar time gap to the last win by a Canadian.

Don't forget Lance has already started from "pole" after the red flag at Monza

We saw how well he took that pressure.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:32 (Ref:4016613)   #62
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
It's become less since Rosberg left and he had no reall challenge for the title, it's easy to stay calm when you win the campionship with ease every year.

also: Max, 23 years old, 6 seasons in F1, Lewis, 35 years old, 13 seasons in F1
So, you're saying Max is having a diicult time with Albon just like Hamilton had with Rosberg?
That explains everything!
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:33 (Ref:4016614)   #63
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Think the difference between the yellow and red was two things

- Grosjean crashed at a point in the session where it could get a red and restart and not really effect anymore. Latifis incident wouldn've ended the session

- Grosjeans car was in the direct firing line for T1, where several cars had gone off. If you go off at T1, you go to Grosjeans position. Latifi was off in a place where others hadn't gone off, and it's a lonnnnnng corner, where you have to go off at a specific point to end up where Latifi was.

The risk was less with Latifi. Whether or not the risk was low enough is up for debate of course, but it was certainly less.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:34 (Ref:4016615)   #64
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:

If it is dry it will be completely different from today, with different cars/drivers being strong or less at ease.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:37 (Ref:4016616)   #65
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Think the difference between the yellow and red was two things

- Grosjean crashed at a point in the session where it could get a red and restart and not really effect anymore. Latifis incident wouldn've ended the session

- Grosjeans car was in the direct firing line for T1, where several cars had gone off. If you go off at T1, you go to Grosjeans position. Latifi was off in a place where others hadn't gone off, and it's a lonnnnnng corner, where you have to go off at a specific point to end up where Latifi was.

The risk was less with Latifi. Whether or not the risk was low enough is up for debate of course, but it was certainly less.
That could well be it.
I have seen Latifi was beached but couldn't see where. Of course the TV station sitched to adverts as soon as they could after Q2 was over.
So I just saw it once, and that was it.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:38 (Ref:4016617)   #66
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Don't forget Lance has already started from "pole" after the red flag at Monza

We saw how well he took that pressure.
he restarted from 2nd there no?

either way, he messed up from the front row though. hopefully he has learned.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:41 (Ref:4016619)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The last time a Canadian won a GP was JV at the Luxembourg GP in 1997, which was held at the Nürburgring.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:41 (Ref:4016620)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
If it is dry it will be completely different from today, with different cars/drivers being strong or less at ease.
yeah for sure.

do we know if anyone opted for more of 'dry' setting?

was sort of thinking that was what Merc was playing at did they/Ham have been struggling (or just being ridiculously cautious?) all weekend.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:43 (Ref:4016621)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Finished on the podium? I wish my screw ups were bad enough for podiums.

Bro just put his car on pole, ahead of one of the GOAT, and out-qualifying the one everyone expected to be on pole, and doing it completely legit. I think we need to let him have his moment rather than shouting "Yeah but what about that time he didn't do well!?"
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:44 (Ref:4016622)   #70
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The last time a Canadian won a GP was JV at the Luxembourg GP in 1997, which was held at the Nürburgring.
thats interesting!

one more interesting 'connection' and im betting my house on a Stroll win!
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:45 (Ref:4016624)   #71
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Quote:
Finished on the podium? I wish my screw ups were bad enough for podiums.

Bro just put his car on pole, ahead of one of the GOAT, and out-qualifying the one everyone expected to be on pole, and doing it completely legit. I think we need to let him have his moment rather than shouting "Yeah but what about that time he didn't do well!?"
I mean Lance's path to the sport and career to date speaks for itself, but lets not pretend that was anything but a team pole today.

Whoever decided to change to inters deserves a promotion

But sadly, the points only get handed out on Sundays, so there's still a big job to do
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:49 (Ref:4016628)   #72
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
I mean Lance's path to the sport and career to date speaks for itself, but lets not pretend that was anything but a team pole today.

In fairness, the only ones who started on inters in Q3 were Perez and Ocon.
All others started on wets and switched to inters for a second run.
So Stroll was in the same boat as all others.

I do think though that Racing Point was very smart to split their strategies at the Q3 start.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:52 (Ref:4016630)   #73
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
have to say Ocon put in a good days work as well.

for me i still dont know what to make of him.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 17:56 (Ref:4016632)   #74
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:

But sadly, the points only get handed out on Sundays, so there's still a big job to do
Of course it's a team pole. Every pole is a team pole.

Lance made the call to change to inters after 1 lap. This was discussed on Sky after the session. Gentleman from RP was interviewed and gave all the credit to Lance for making the call in the car.

I guess Lance deserves a promotion then, doesn't he?

Of course points are only handed out Sunday. But the boy everyone said was too crap for F1 just put it on pole on one of the most challenging qualifying sessions we've ever seen. The kid deserves credit.
Old 14 Nov 2020, 18:22 (Ref:4016640)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All of this just goes to show what a joke F1 is.

Hopefully F1 will sort itself out and we won’t have anything more that provides interest, is a challenge and we don’t have an usual result.

Some people, who childishly enjoy things, might ask for more random circuit changes with limited prep time. Idiots.