Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 25 Feb 2015, 01:02 (Ref:3508632)   #151
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Try taking a look at this thread. It's a tutorial on Sketchup that I started long time ago.

Feel free to ask any questions in that thread, that goes to either of you.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 01:12 (Ref:3508636)   #152
HPmadness
Rookie

HPmadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This first question s obvious. How do you curve the track?
Old 25 Feb 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3508833)   #153
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPmadness View Post
This first question s obvious. How do you curve the track?
I don't really want to make this thread a tutorial. If you guys have any questions you can send me a PM, or preferably post a question on the thread SBF linked to above, so we can get a bit of discussion going.

And yes, I can confirm, it is very time consuming! You should bare in mind though, that I have been doing these designs for 4 years now. My first attempt at a sketchup design resulted in this messy thing from 2011 (never-before-seen because I wasn't happy with the result). The best way to learn how to use sketchup is to get stuck in, make mistakes, and figure out what went wrong, and if you can't, then let us know because we will be happy to help out.
Attached Thumbnails
fIRST !.png  
Old 10 Mar 2015, 00:33 (Ref:3513514)   #154
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
New name, same designer!

It's that time again....

It's another "classic" circuit remodelled for current safety standards and circuit design trends. The new course (red) is about 4km in length, and the old circuit (green) is still available for use if nostalgia takes hold.

Next up will be a circuit in the style of a classic British club track, stay tuned...
Attached Thumbnails
1.png   2.png   3.png  

4.jpg   5.png   51 config.png  

Old 10 Mar 2015, 01:44 (Ref:3513526)   #155
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG View Post
It's that time again....

It's another "classic" circuit remodelled for current safety standards and circuit design trends. The new course (red) is about 4km in length, and the old circuit (green) is still available for use if nostalgia takes hold.

Next up will be a circuit in the style of a classic British club track, stay tuned...
Not explicitly an issue, but I have a feeling I would end up hating the penultimate corner. Its apex just seems,.. weird.
Old 10 Mar 2015, 22:03 (Ref:3513818)   #156
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Not explicitly an issue, but I have a feeling I would end up hating the penultimate corner. Its apex just seems,.. weird.
Indeed, it is weird, and thats what makes it a challenge and gives it character! What is worse, hating a corner because it is tricky/unusual, or getting bored with endless 3rd gear, constant radius corners?
Old 11 Mar 2015, 06:44 (Ref:3513953)   #157
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed, it is weird, and thats what makes it a challenge and gives it character! What is worse, hating a corner because it is tricky/unusual, or getting bored with endless 3rd gear, constant radius corners?
depends on the car
Old 19 Mar 2015, 14:05 (Ref:3517101)   #158
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
depends on the car
As a follow up, here is what I'd imagine the racing line to around the final corners of the lap.

New track soon (TM)
Attached Thumbnails
51 line.png  

Last edited by SKG; 19 Mar 2015 at 14:06. Reason: Forgot picture attachment
Old 21 Mar 2015, 13:42 (Ref:3517743)   #159
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Conceptually, your recent work reminds me very much of Circuito di Siracusa, located in Italy. The aerial view of it today shows many of the safety feature upgrades you have shown here. Well done.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3517893)   #160
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your latest track is absolutely stunning and with a nice background story. The modern version is cool, but the classic configuration looks really fun to drive!
Old 21 Mar 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3517970)   #161
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Conceptually, your recent work reminds me very much of Circuito di Siracusa, located in Italy. The aerial view of it today shows many of the safety feature upgrades you have shown here. Well done.
Yet another circuit I have overlooked. Glad to see that my upgrades are somewhat realistic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Your latest track is absolutely stunning and with a nice background story. The modern version is cool, but the classic configuration looks really fun to drive!
Thanks! The old circuit does have a nice flow but I'm not sure how good the racing would be. With the upgrades, I tried to keep the feel of the circuit whilst improving overtaking opportunities, and make things safer.
Old 21 Mar 2015, 19:01 (Ref:3518021)   #162
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Thanks! The old circuit does have a nice flow but I'm not sure how good the racing would be. With the upgrades, I tried to keep the feel of the circuit whilst improving overtaking opportunities, and make things safer.
I think you are right, indeed, but that's often the case with old circuits isn't it? Great challenge and fun for the drivers, but the race wouldn't be entertaining for the spectators. That's also why your upgrades are so realistic.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 12:54 (Ref:3519347)   #163
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must take my hat off, your latest track shows the commitment most of us don't have when detailing a sketch! That's beautiful!
Old 26 Mar 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3519983)   #164
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
I must take my hat off, your latest track shows the commitment most of us don't have when detailing a sketch! That's beautiful!
Thanks very much! More soon, hopefully..
Old 26 Mar 2015, 19:33 (Ref:3519989)   #165
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Motivated by what's being discussed over here: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143870

I decided to reactivate Bobs Track Builder to check out my first (and so far... only) attempt at building a circuit for use in rFactor. I don't plan on progressing much further with it, which is why I am comfortable sharing it in its quite obviously WIP state.

The circuit roughly follows the layout of one of my previous designs shared here back in 2013 (http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=106). A couple of changes were needed, mainly the pitline needed moving to the next straight, and the reprofiling of some corners at the top of the circuit.

Screens and video below (apologies for the quite frankly awful video quality)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCcu1I-b0K0
Attached Thumbnails
f9a2c61d0e987ea67a5f3f0a767e6a26.jpg   rFactor 2015-03-26 19-11-09-70.jpg   rFactor 2015-03-26 19-10-40-04.jpg  

rFactor 2015-03-26 19-10-21-57.jpg   rFactor 2015-03-26 19-10-02-63.jpg   29 terrain.png  

Old 26 Mar 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3519997)   #166
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
I actually quite like it. It feels somewhat like a mini Mount Panorama with the elevation changes and the barriers close to the track. Also adds to the fun-factor when you can watch a lap around the circuit.

Make more BTB or RTB tracks in the future!
Old 14 Apr 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3527370)   #167
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
I actually quite like it. It feels somewhat like a mini Mount Panorama with the elevation changes and the barriers close to the track. Also adds to the fun-factor when you can watch a lap around the circuit.

Make more BTB or RTB tracks in the future!
I will if I have time!

Here is a little club design which I mentioned earlier but never finished and completely forgot to share. It is very short, comparable to Mallory Park in the U.K. (2.1km). A new chicane was added at the final part of the lap to improve racing and make the pit entry safer.

I have been away from my PC for a while, but we will be reunited soon, so there should hopefully be more content shortly!
Attached Thumbnails
52 plan.png   52 2.png   52 3.jpg  

52 4.jpg   52 5.jpg   52 config.png  

Old 14 Apr 2015, 14:34 (Ref:3527409)   #168
The IC
Racer

Australia
The IC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heh...the esses and the added chicane immediately made me think of the recent changes to Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma/Insertnewnamehere Raceway

That old pit entry must have been a bit suicidal...

The BTB track had a nice flow to it too
Attached Thumbnails
SonomaIndy12.9bc9a004cc457692f565d27e5fe876e4166.png  
Old 16 Apr 2015, 10:12 (Ref:3527891)   #169
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IC View Post
Heh...the esses and the added chicane immediately made me think of the recent changes to Sears Point/Infineon/Sonoma/Insertnewnamehere Raceway

That old pit entry must have been a bit suicidal...

The BTB track had a nice flow to it too
That old pit entry of Sonoma is indeed very odd.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 00:24 (Ref:3550538)   #170
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Been working on this one for a while, it went through a big design change half way through with a major change to the infield loop.

5 configs:

Grand Prix (RED): 5.8km

Endurance (BLUE): 6.3km

National (GREEN): 4.5km

School (YELLOW): 1.7km

Club (PURPLE): 2.0km

Highlights of the lap include a long (1.2km) pit straight, a flowing first sequence of turns and a Silverstone-esque sector out the back of the circuit as a true high speed test.

Thoughts? I usually have another circuit on the go but this time I am free. Any suggestions for my next one?
Attached Thumbnails
54 plan.png   54 1.jpg   54 2.jpg  

54 3.jpg   54 4.jpg   Untitled config.png  

Old 15 Jun 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3550957)   #171
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Forget the last one, that one resembles Sonoma.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 00:27 (Ref:3550973)   #172
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sure there are elements that match Sonoma but that doesn't mean this circuit should be forgotten. The circuit has it's own unique elements.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 13:42 (Ref:3551883)   #173
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
Quote:
Forget the last one, that one resembles Sonoma.

99% of resemblances to real world circuits in my designs are merely coincidence, I rarely look to other tracks for inspiration and instead produce designs which I think would be fun or challenging to drive and provide good conditions for entertaining racing.

This design changed significantly half way through the process. I liked the way the track flowed if the shortcut after turn 5 (see old config below) was taken so much that I decided that it should part of the full circuit. I also liked the infield section so I decided to move it closer to the first few corners and rotate it slightly. This in turn opened up space for a small pitlane and the club and school circuit configs. The square-ish bends at the top of the circuit were a consequence of these significant layout changes.

So, you could say "That first bit looks like Mont-Tremblant" or "Forget the last one, that one resembles Sonoma", but in my case, and in others here as well I'm sure, there is a lot more to it than that.

P.S I actually quite like Sonoma...
Attached Thumbnails
20150415_184226_HDR.jpg   old new.png   54 plan.png  

Old 21 Jun 2015, 17:57 (Ref:3552762)   #174
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my first post on here in many years.

I'm absolutely amazed at the detail you folks on this forum are going to these days. Some great ideas! Keep it up!
Old 21 Jun 2015, 21:04 (Ref:3552819)   #175
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
This is my first post on here in many years.

I'm absolutely amazed at the detail you folks on this forum are going to these days. Some great ideas! Keep it up!
A My Tracks veteran returns ... I hope you will find time to contribute again.