Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Apr 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3817505)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2018 Classic Motorsport Mitty - Road Atlanta - Apr 27-29

Same event. Same time of the year. Different name. My second favorite spectator event all year, for all sports. I believe we have a handful plus of 10thers that attend this one, as spectators...

Technically starts tomorrow, on my birthday, which is AWESOME every year, but the track opens today for testing. Weather today is sketch at best but it's tornado / storm season in the South. So it'll be touch and go with a little scary today followed by Chamber of Commerce weather for the weekend. Won't be able to bring the kids because of soccer games but can't wait to get there tomorrow early AM.

Featured Marque is Nissan (pronounce it however you please!)

Entry looks pretty typical, but with a big bump in 240Zs.
http://hsrrace.com/wp-content/upload...st-4.18.18.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't see this guy (AC/DC's Brian Johnson on the entry); won his class last year...

I did just notice Bill Elliott as a co-driver in a stockcar!

Schedule:
https://d2sfpzmw5wlczb.cloudfront.ne...-1.23.18-5.pdf

Sanctioned by HSR - rules page:
https://hsrrace.com/race-series/hsr-...d-regulations/

And here's the groupings:
http://hsrrace.com/wp-content/upload...roups-2018.pdf

Hopefully, we'll get some good pics from a certain 10ths poster. He has a good eye and a good camera!
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:41 (Ref:3818373)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sorry for the lack of updates here! the weather was just toooooo nice and we were more interested in the track activity.

I'll find some results to post, but the highlight for me was chatting with the driver of this little formula junior class car from Canada. It's a 61 Dreossi Special driven by Doug Elcomb from Ontario. It has a 946cc Sprite Motor bored out to 998cc with an upside down mounted Fiat 600 Multipla transaxle gearbox...we called it the beer keg car! This is pic with my phone of it climbing the hill at T1.

Good stuff all around!
Old 30 Apr 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3818430)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
sorry for the lack of updates here! the weather was just toooooo nice and we were more interested in the track activity.

I'll find some results to post, but the highlight for me was chatting with the driver of this little formula junior class car from Canada. It's a 61 Dreossi Special driven by Doug Elcomb from Ontario. It has a 946cc Sprite Motor bored out to 998cc with an upside down mounted Fiat 600 Multipla transaxle gearbox...we called it the beer keg car! This is pic with my phone of it climbing the hill at T1.

Good stuff all around!
Glad you had a good weekend, and hope there was a spectator or two who weren’t enjoying themselves too much to take a few pics!

The Dreossi Special will be familiar to some on here, especially Historic Formula Junior people. Doug bought the car over to Europe several years ago for a race or two. Certainly he raced it at the Goodwood Revival. Built using a jet fighter drop (fuel) tank, from memory.....
Old 30 Apr 2018, 20:13 (Ref:3818493)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a beautiful weekend! It rains a lot, but the weather the past several days was a reminder of why I live here!

I found this terrific on-board video of the Grand Marshall, John Morten, taking a couple of laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbddrSyi2Xg&t=0s
Old 30 Apr 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3818496)   #5
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Glad you had a good weekend, and hope there was a spectator or two who weren’t enjoying themselves too much to take a few pics!

The Dreossi Special will be familiar to some on here, especially Historic Formula Junior people. Doug bought the car over to Europe several years ago for a race or two. Certainly he raced it at the Goodwood Revival. Built using a jet fighter drop (fuel) tank, from memory.....
I did take some shots, but only in Turn 1. I will get those processed this week.
There was some great racing and the weather was so nice I was distracted from shooting more. Also, we may have celebrated someone's birthday a little too hard on Friday.

I've never seen a Formula Junior race before and all of those cars were new to Road Atlanta this year. Those guys have some serious attachments, especially when they were practicing with the big formula and Indycars.

Also, hats off to Joe Bradley who did a stellar job saying knee-san 240Zee all weekend. Although to my ears, I think it sounds more awkward when a Brit uses the Americanisms.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3818497)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m in love with the noise that car makes......
Old 1 May 2018, 03:24 (Ref:3818560)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

Thanks, and that's awesome about Doug! What a treat for him and what a nice fellow to boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I found this terrific on-board video of the Grand Marshall, John Morten, taking a couple of laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbddrSyi2Xg&t=0s
That's fantastic! Thx for sharing.
Quote:
There was some great racing and the weather was so nice I was distracted from shooting more. Also, we may have celebrated someone's birthday a little too hard on Friday.
Yeah, we tied one on. I need to check that so I get around the circuit a little bit more.....but you only turn 39 once, I hear!

Quote:
Also, hats off to Joe Bradley who did a stellar job saying knee-san 240Zee all weekend. Although to my ears, I think it sounds more awkward when a Brit uses the Americanisms.
What a weekend for Joe. Calls a race and heads out to see Foo Fighters!!
Old 1 May 2018, 05:44 (Ref:3818583)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Here's some video of the aftermath of the Rabbit crash. Glad he's okay, but it's a shame his car is a total loss. No more bumping in T9 please, folks.

https://youtu.be/3YlXDJdJHbU

Adam Carolla posted this video of his 610: https://youtu.be/xOGhuZt7rSs

Some stock car action: https://youtu.be/FEsVpO60MEU

Last edited by JHamilton; 1 May 2018 at 05:49.
Old 1 May 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3818640)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Ouch! Glad the VW Golf driver was OK, that damage is hardly going to polish out.....
Old 2 May 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3818764)   #10
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Here's some video of the aftermath of the Rabbit crash. Glad he's okay, but it's a shame his car is a total loss. No more bumping in T9 please, folks.

https://youtu.be/3YlXDJdJHbU

Adam Carolla posted this video of his 610: https://youtu.be/xOGhuZt7rSs

Some stock car action: https://youtu.be/FEsVpO60MEU
Adam looks a bit uncomfortable behind the wheel but good for him and us. Need more guys like him bringing cars out and putting them where they need to be.

Bummer the Rabbit won't ever be there again.....
Old 2 May 2018, 03:25 (Ref:3818778)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Adam looks a bit uncomfortable behind the wheel but good for him and us. Need more guys like him bringing cars out and putting them where they need to be.

Bummer the Rabbit won't ever be there again.....
Check out the end of this video for an in-car view. I can't remember seeing a multi-car crash in T9. Code Brown for sure. https://youtu.be/WLatVU97R-k?t=88

I was hoping to find this video... the Felton Nova! Probably the most impressive car this weekend. After doing some research, I didn't realize how successful this car was, but it won 25 IMSA races over four years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLLRigMikx0
Old 2 May 2018, 15:54 (Ref:3818895)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I’m guessing this is the Nova. Looks more NASCAR than IMSA! Certainly a big beastie.....

http://www.genefeltonrestorations.co...on_ppo_96.html
Old 2 May 2018, 16:11 (Ref:3818905)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I’m guessing this is the Nova. Looks more NASCAR than IMSA! Certainly a big beastie.....

Must admit that I don't recall seeing any Novas in a Vauxhall showroom like that!
Old 2 May 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3818917)   #14
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
simontibbett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Check out the end of this video for an in-car view. I can't remember seeing a multi-car crash in T9. Code Brown for sure. https://youtu.be/WLatVU97R-k?t=88

I was hoping to find this video... the Felton Nova! Probably the most impressive car this weekend. After doing some research, I didn't realize how successful this car was, but it won 25 IMSA races over four years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLLRigMikx0
I was in the crash, Rabbit was rolling literally above me (my car is topless). I felt like a scene from Driven or a NASCAR pileup.
Old 2 May 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3818922)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
I was in the crash, Rabbit was rolling literally above me (my car is topless). I felt like a scene from Driven or a NASCAR pileup.
Glad everyone is OK. A really nasty incident.
Old 2 May 2018, 17:30 (Ref:3818923)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Must admit that I don't recall seeing any Novas in a Vauxhall showroom like that!
More’s the pity!

For those not aware of GM’s UK market Nova..... https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...vauxhall-nova/
Old 2 May 2018, 23:42 (Ref:3818984)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I'm glad you're okay, Simon! What do you drive? ... hopefully not much damage. Are you local?

Thanks for coming out! Guys like you have turned that event from a Saturday afternoon drop-by to a can't miss event that I camp for days for. Hopefully, I'll have the means to join you on track one day.
Old 2 May 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3818986)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
More’s the pity!

For those not aware of GM’s UK market Nova..... https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...vauxhall-nova/
Ugh... I think that's a Daewoo? Our Nova at that time was a rebadged Corolla... Not much better.

To be honest, a 1979 Nova is not considered a cool car either.
Old 3 May 2018, 01:18 (Ref:3818990)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Yikes! Glad you and apparently everyone is okay!
Old 3 May 2018, 01:21 (Ref:3818991)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

It's a beast for sure and the hood prop is a 2x4. Check the sign, too. Apply to anyone here?

Old 3 May 2018, 06:03 (Ref:3819013)   #21
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
It's a beast for sure and the hood prop is a 2x4. Check the sign, too. Apply to anyone here?

No comment on the 2nd sign, but that is not a 74 Nova. That is a 4th gen 75-79 Nova body.

You didn't mention that the #9 in that photo was driven by the original driver, Awesome Bill.
Old 3 May 2018, 11:56 (Ref:3819080)   #22
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's a beast for sure and the hood prop is a 2x4. Check the sign, too. Apply to anyone her

Great looking car and I love the sign. I'm sure we've all been there at some time!

Sorry to be a pedant but it looks more like a 1x4 to me.
Old 3 May 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3819082)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
No comment on the 2nd sign, but that is not a 74 Nova. That is a 4th gen 75-79 Nova body.

You didn't mention that the #9 in that photo was driven by the original driver, Awesome Bill.
I figured everyone knew that was Awesome Bill and his Everham Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Great looking car and I love the sign. I'm sure we've all been there at some time!

Sorry to be a pedant but it looks more like a 1x4 to me.
Sure is a 1 by!! I didn't notice it until I was posting the picture. Quick look it appeared to be a 2 by!
Old 3 May 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3819108)   #24
simontibbett
Rookie

United States
GA
simontibbett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm glad you're okay, Simon! What do you drive? ... hopefully not much damage. Are you local?

Thanks for coming out! Guys like you have turned that event from a Saturday afternoon drop-by to a can't miss event that I camp for days for. Hopefully, I'll have the means to join you on track one day.
Thanks! I was driving an MX-5 (not very vintage ) in previous years I ran a Mazda3 and ironically an MK1 VW Rabbit like in this accident. The car has a little frame damage and some body work (both quarters) but it could be worst and it's repairable. I used all my luck for the season in that one crash.

I am local, thanks for coming out! I grew up spectating it as well my first one I was in fourth grade. So it's one of my favorites, this was my fourth in a row racing it. Wasn't my favorite weekend but I'll be back next year.
Old 3 May 2018, 14:29 (Ref:3819111)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Thanks! I was driving an MX-5 (not very vintage ) in previous years I ran a Mazda3 and ironically an MK1 VW Rabbit like in this accident. The car has a little frame damage and some body work (both quarters) but it could be worst and it's repairable. I used all my luck for the season in that one crash.

I am local, thanks for coming out! I grew up spectating it as well my first one I was in fourth grade. So it's one of my favorites, this was my fourth in a row racing it. Wasn't my favorite weekend but I'll be back next year.
Just noticed your last name. I believe we chatted with your father a couple of times over the weekend. He's "patched" a couple of our road cars together over the years - I'm a native Athenian and my first mitty was back in the 80s, probably around / before 4th grade....

We (JHamilton and others) camp under the Water Oak in T4 every Mitty and PLM with a Giant (broadrun96) and an old Apache (hardside) camper. I think that's what brought Mr. Tibbet over to begin with; old campers!