Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 Jan 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2110037)   #126
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
that's the best post i've seen it ages!

but let's move on now, i'm sure I speak for us all...

i've heard another rumour today

Nelson Phillipe has been linked to a re-launched team from Greg Beck

Beck has been extremely vocal about his positive feelings about TEAM and has been present at all the major pre season IRL meetings

Although he has stated he would like to run a team full time again, not much has been said since

It is known that Phillipe attended a driver physical the other day and Beck was also there to talk to potential drivers for his seat....

anyone think this could be a possibility? and did anyone hear that Jon Herb has apparently purchased some more IRL equipment?
Old 20 Jan 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2110117)   #127
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This has to be the most accurate interpretation of what the CC and IRL forums have turned into on this board.
You guys need to step back and take a deep breath.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Jan 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2110232)   #128
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
i created this thread for the purposes of the title

it's gone wrong because of WUM's invading it
Really?

stradlin, this was your (highly antagonistic) second post on this allegedly informative thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
Your getting desperate now DRT

1. Where does it say Ethanol require a two car team?
2. Panther are close (check their website) to annoucing a 2nd car, PJ Chesson is looking highley likley for this with Munther having the Pro Series seat
3. There is no indication that RLR are going away, as much as you would like it

Try again mate!"
Please, just calm your tone and relax - have a Coke and a smile.

For as long as I remember I've leant to the Champ Car side, but now I'm stuck right in the middle and enjoy both series.

We're stuck with what we've got, and as a racing fan (and not a stakeholder) I don't know why people can't just enjoy two pretty cool racing series without lowering oneself to petty pointscoring.

Open wheel racing has moved on so far from the initial split (different people, venues, philosophies) - I mean this is ridiculous.

Please, let's lower the aggression meter, find some Zen and discuss IRL news and notes like adults...

Let me see if I can kick it off with a note...

- I may be going to the Indy 500 this year...
Old 21 Jan 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2110866)   #129
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news Mac, I may be too, as it appears I may be spending some time this spring in Muncie
Old 22 Jan 2008, 00:51 (Ref:2110949)   #130
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So stradders, could you jot down the drivers/teams of who are confirmed along with rumors so we all have an idea all together of what the field may look like? Cheers
Old 22 Jan 2008, 05:23 (Ref:2111026)   #131
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
So stradders, could you jot down the drivers/teams of who are confirmed along with rumors so we all have an idea all together of what the field may look like? Cheers
Fantasic idea! Let's have a look at that list of CONFIRMED drivers for the irl this season. Might make interesting viewing!
Old 22 Jan 2008, 07:23 (Ref:2111041)   #132
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately it's not the focus of this thread, ms.

This is about news and notes. We're the so called silly season, so rumours are bread-and-butter to us fans.

I would welcome another thread about secured seats for 2008 (at least the IRL forum could afford one ) but rumours and hints must have citizen rights here.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2111123)   #133
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
- I may be going to the Indy 500 this year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine
Good news Mac, I may be too, as it appears I may be spending some time this spring in Muncie
I may be three I'll be somewhere in the vicinity at any rate...

(sorry, no rumours down here )
Old 23 Jan 2008, 12:50 (Ref:2111921)   #134
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/42652/

Phillips look at the Matos situation and further into the IPS/Atlantic feeder system.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 15:28 (Ref:2112041)   #135
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/42652/

Phillips look at the Matos situation and further into the IPS/Atlantic feeder system.
Well let me say I don't agree with what he says about the IPS side.

First of all it still has to be proven that Mutoh and Lloyd are "spotty cases": why couldn't they mean that IPS is starting to deliver?

Second, it's a mistery to me why AGR, hiring Matos, should have shown IPS are useless..

Third: Phillips seems to forget that IPS in 2007 have become the most successful OW series in the world interms of grid number increase, and this year things are not expected to roll back.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2112579)   #136
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree that Phillips is far too negative about the IPS. Two of the top teams have signed its drivers for 2008, it seems more likely that the tide is turning. Meanwhile, despite big investment and hype for 2007, it remains to be seen whether any of the 2007 Atlantics crop will actually move upwards at all for 2008.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 13:50 (Ref:2112655)   #137
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm prepared to reserve judgement about the IPS. It's last few champions are yet to set the world alight at the top level. Howard is now getting his chance and Lloyd will occasionally - if they flunk then I'll accept it's as lame looking as Atlantics is.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2112698)   #138
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
I'm prepared to reserve judgement about the IPS. It's last few champions are yet to set the world alight at the top level. Howard is now getting his chance and Lloyd will occasionally - if they flunk then I'll accept it's as lame looking as Atlantics is.
Where else would you take your drivers from then if not IPS. These guy run the same circuits as IRL, the teams are professional. Looks like a good training ground. Very similar to GP2 in this regard.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2112713)   #139
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest... from Europe. As others have said, if Lloyd, Mutoh & Co. turns out to be rubbish that will be where the talent will come from. Not that I believe it will happen, considering Mutoh's excellent performance in the last IRL round.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2112715)   #140
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes i can see that. But you need a feeder series that is going to be able to promote home grown talent as well as international drivers. With the likes of Lloyd, Mutoh etc coming into the series from abroad, it should raise the overall standard. I can't see any mileage in bringing in failed F3, Renault World Series or GP2 drivers, as they have no oval experience.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2113192)   #141
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is absolutely correct fs. I would never suggest that IPS shouldn't be where the IRL gets its drivers from - it does need one or two of Mutoh, Howard and Lloyd to really perform this year to give it some credibility.
Old 1 Feb 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2118396)   #142
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cotman to IRL

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/42854/

Quote:
As speculated the past two weeks on SPEED, Tony Cotman will be named vice president of competition for the Indy Racing League on Friday.

“I’m just going where I think the future of open-wheel racing is going to be,” said Cotman, who quit as Champ Car’s executive vice president earlier this month. ”It’s a good job. I’m going to oversee anything that has to do with competition, technical issues, tracks and assist Brian (Barnhart) in race control.”
Old 2 Feb 2008, 03:50 (Ref:2118837)   #143
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IndyCar Series news:
AJ Foyt IV confirmed in second Vision car
Milka Duno is reportedly shopping the Citgo sponsorship to other teams and potentially other race series.
SAMAX has been in discussions with Mario Dominguez to run a full season in their car.
Tomas Scheckter to drive in 3 races, including Indy 500 for Luczo Dragon Racing (car prepared by Penske)

IPS News:
Schmidt confirms driver lineup - Bia Figueredo (looks like she's going to use the name Ana Beatriz in the US), Australian James Davison, and Richard Antinucci
Bobby Wilson to new Team E - clocks fastest lap at Sebring test
Tyce Carlson and two other guys form a new IPS team - Alliance Motorsports (they and Fuzion Autosport who will field Adam Andretti purchased the assets of Kenn Hardley racing and will both operate out of the former Hardley shop)
Leilani Munter and former NASCAR driver Brent Sherman have both tested for the Panther IPS ride. Reportedly they both bring a pretty good budget and I think it's possible that they could expand to two cars and run both of them.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2118888)   #144
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what does Scheckter have planned for the rest of the year
Old 2 Feb 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2118920)   #145
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi boys and girls

It's been a while since I ventured back here. Without reading the last 140 odd posts can someone give us a breif who's up who and who's not paying
Old 2 Feb 2008, 17:34 (Ref:2119177)   #146
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Scheckter doesn't have anything else planned for the rest of the year.

He's probably figuring someone will get fired or injured at some point and he can come in and pick up some extra races.
Old 2 Feb 2008, 20:24 (Ref:2119275)   #147
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, no doubt he'll find a ride later in the year and probably land a Indy race. JMOT..
Old 3 Feb 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2119399)   #148
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
Like I said, he already has a deal for a really good car (essentially the third penske car) for Indy.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 02:05 (Ref:2119443)   #149
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
IndyCar Series news:
AJ Foyt IV confirmed in second Vision car
Milka Duno is reportedly shopping the Citgo sponsorship to other teams and potentially other race series.
SAMAX has been in discussions with Mario Dominguez to run a full season in their car.
Tomas Scheckter to drive in 3 races, including Indy 500 for Luczo Dragon Racing (car prepared by Penske)
Dominguez would be a very welcome addition to the series, but Schekter not having a full season ride is quite appaling.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2120127)   #150
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Scheckter has to start from scratch again sadly. He got lost in Vision and hadn't really set the world alight for a couple of years before that. I'm intrigued which his other 2 races will be.

Actually it's interesting seeing "Penske" Luczo ramping up their efforts. Could this be a precursor for a bigger program? If so, it's exactly where Tomas should want to be.