Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 13 May 2016, 08:51 (Ref:3641295)   #1
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Knowledge Input Please!

Suggestions as to best retro-fit SatNav including full European maps.

I don't need bells and whistles, audio commentary essential, 'cos I need to drive through crazy places surrounded by idiots on self-immolation pills with nowhere to park up, at times...

Anyone's personal experience and suggestions most welcome and useful.

Thanks, Peeps.
Old 20 May 2016, 10:01 (Ref:3643182)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
iPhone perhaps?

Works just fine for me.
No map updates, no expensive dealer servicing.
Old 20 May 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3643201)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
iPhone perhaps?

Works just fine for me.
No map updates, no expensive dealer servicing.
The trouble with using a phone is you are paying network charges all the time the sat nav is on.
My old Tom Tom works OK, the only problem is if I try and update it it wont then find a home address, which was a bonus when my wife took it last as she couldn't get home from Lowestoft, it's been quiet here for the past 18 months.
Old 20 May 2016, 11:25 (Ref:3643202)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have HERE maps on a couple of phones. (Windows phone for a business use, Android for personal).

No network charges as you can download the maps you need to the device assuming you have enough memory available.

HERE used to be a Nokia included service but I think is now available across platforms individually since Microsoft took over the Nokia Lumia phone brand.

The navigation is pretty good. Some oddities but that seems normal. Map updates available for download when you need them. Traffic info with the journey plan and execution if you want it (selected locations around Europe presumably) but live traffic would, of course, require data connectivity.
Old 21 May 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3643467)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My old Tom Tom is still working ok but I haven't updated it for years, it still gets me to places all over western Europe with a few glitches, like telling me to turn right on a dual carriageway because the road was altered 5 years ago and I once drove into a muddy farmyard when going to a wedding, the farmer said "that's always happening" as the post code was the same as the church 3 miles away !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 May 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3645768)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Garmin with lifetime map updates.
Old 31 May 2016, 08:00 (Ref:3645993)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TomTom (which had lifetime maps when I bought mine) works well for me. Only down side is the update process which is buggy and very, very slow.

Either TomTom or Garmin stand-alone devices will be much better than what is available on a smartphone. But the phone has been a useful backup on occasion.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 31 May 2016 at 08:00. Reason: Spelling
Old 8 Jun 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3648192)   #8
NICK ALLISON
Racer

England
london
NICK ALLISON should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Map?
Old 8 Jun 2016, 13:45 (Ref:3648224)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A vital piece of equipment for planning and error correction! No so much use if you don't have someone to read it.

"While espousing new equipment, make sure to retain the old where still useful."

Jim
Old 11 Jun 2016, 03:17 (Ref:3648833)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Garmin is the go here as theres a local group who do free open source maps for them.They update them weekly with every new street & road on them.
I update one for a friend who drives a concreter mixer truck,he loves it as it has all the new subdivision streets on it before they even get named.
Old 16 Jun 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3650629)   #11
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many thanks for the input, chaps. (And perhaps, Chapesses).

Some years back, I was going to a meeting with the Non-Exec Chairman of my software company, in his sparkling new top-end Lexus; which enjoyed the very latest built-in SatNav.

As we galloped along a brand new link road to Chelmsford (Essex) over what had been fields not long before, the SatNav became very, very confused!

Seems on balance, Garmin is the way to go.

Apols for not reverting before: have been at out French home, wherein the Boss insists I do not have a PC and broadband as "You won't get any work done!"

Old 16 Jun 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3650688)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
TomTom (which had lifetime maps when I bought mine) works well for me. Only down side is the update process which is buggy and very, very slow.
Yep, exactly my experience. Also got maps for life (of the device, though, not me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Garmin is the go here as theres a local group who do free open source maps for them.They update them weekly with every new street & road on them.
I update one for a friend who drives a concreter mixer truck,he loves it as it has all the new subdivision streets on it before they even get named.
You've only had one new road in the last 30 years. What do they add weekly? Update the positions of the sheep?
Old 16 Jun 2016, 21:07 (Ref:3650737)   #13
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What do they add weekly? Update the positions of the sheep?
Yes,when I'm driving I make a lot of ewe turns.

Quote:
You've only had one new road in the last 30 years.
So honoured were the people of Tauranga by your last visit that we are upgrading the road to the speedway in preparation for your next visit........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfX-skRSYx8
Old 16 Jun 2016, 21:26 (Ref:3650750)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I thought you only had two roads in NZ, one on the north island and one on the south, do you think you could all cope with an extra one, you might lose the three or four cars on them.
Old 16 Jun 2016, 22:03 (Ref:3650765)   #15
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
The South Island road needs a bit of work...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeyyMUI77g