Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Aug 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1696154)   #26
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rustad won Mondello in 1992.

See: http://www.erc24.com/?Show=News&c=1&ID=263
Old 29 Aug 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1696226)   #27
fullcircle
Racer

fullcircle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
I have seen it first hand.

The design of tracks around europe ARE different from the uk and ireland (rallycross tracks now). The Tracks are done to FIA European Rallycross standards, which if you know anything about the rules for ERXC you should know the difference

So your telling me that you could throw Young Mr Jordan out into europe and if he trys hard enough he is going to win the whole thing ? Would you get real! when you get to the Professional rallycross level such as the ERXC you need Your experience of the tracks, As i said above Our boys dont drive the tracks as much as the european lads and therefore they dont have a full understanding of the track. Its like for example if you put me and Dermot in the exact same cars in mondello, he is still going to be faster than me as he has raced the track 100 times more than me.

[/B]

Blyton and Pembrey do not have a greater avarage speed to most of the european tracks and therefore under the standards setout are not quicker.

Yeh he won there before they remoddled Mondello (in the late 90's). You also ahve to take into account that rallycross in Ireland didnt have cars as quick as the lads in europe aswell.

I dont have the old layout of mondello so i cant remember exactly where the cars were before they slid around the final corner...

Its been debated many times before, when it comes down to it, no matter how much general rallycross experence you have on one track, it dosnt give you and automatic transfere to the next one!

You are clearly missing my point so let me put it another way.
If Isachsen, Rustad or Larson came to Lydden, Pembrey etc... (tracks they have never raced on) they would blitz any British driver there without question.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1696276)   #28
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
Rustad won Mondello in 1992.

See: http://www.erc24.com/?Show=News&c=1&ID=263
Thanks Rx-Guru, where did i get 82 :S ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle
If Isachsen, Rustad or Larson came to Lydden, Pembrey etc... (tracks they have never raced on) they would blitz any British driver there without question.
Yes i did get your point, but you have missed my point. And agree that if the european drivers did come over they would blitz it, however it dosnt work the same way.

As i have pointed out a couple of times the uk and irish tracks dont have the diverse nature of the European ones.

So basically what im saying is:

A.) If the european drivers came over and drove our tracks they would do well

B.) If the reverse was to happen we wouldnt have a change.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 29 Aug 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1696485)   #29
fullcircle
Racer

Quote:
Thanks Rx-Guru, where did i get 82 :S ?

Yes i did get your point, but you have missed my point. And agree that if the european drivers did come over they would blitz it, however it dosnt work the same way.

As i have pointed out a couple of times the uk and irish tracks dont have the diverse nature of the European ones.

So basically what im saying is:

A.) If the european drivers came over and drove our tracks they would do well

B.) If the reverse was to happen we wouldnt have a change.

I suppose thats why Rustad is doing so badly on the tracks he hasnt visited is it?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:54 (Ref:1696819)   #30
Roundy Mooney
Veteran

Ireland
Roundy Mooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You are clearly missing my point so let me put it another way.
I think your right there isn't a British driver out there at present who could compete with the above . However I think Evans has shown that he has the car and pace to live with the big boys. He has been the class of the field this year in the BRDA and I think it has shown that the performance against Kenny was no Fluke. His times were good in Holland last year and bar some major brain fade he probably would have made a good final postion.

I have only been to europe (holland) twice and it is a very tight track. There is nearly zero places to pass which means that in nearly all cases the first corner decides the race. I think Dermot has been there more than 4 times now so it wouldn't be a new track by any manner to him and he has never had a good result. But he has also had very bad luck. Evans put him off last year when he looked a cert for a final and he had punture this year while leading his third heat. So the rub of the green can make all the difference.

For me looking at the euro's and the BRDA rounds the big difference is not in style of tracks it's the amount of competition. It's like stock hatch for big boys. In the brda rounds you have a heat with usually 2 cars in it at most that are in for the heat win. In the ERC you have 6 cars in every heat that could win it, walking threw the first two cars the grid isn't an option. Small mistakes that you can get away with in the BRDA are punished in the ERC making it all that more difficult to make your mark.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1696830)   #31
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I suppose thats why Rustad is doing so badly on the tracks he hasnt visited is it?
No need to get like that, we all know how many times rustad has been around the european race tracks. that is why he is doing so well.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 29 Aug 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1697036)   #32
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Rustad has actually done nearly more European RX rounds this year than in all his life before. He did a couple of home ECRs but went only on a very few occasions (for Martin) abroad. However, he has a stunning career of circuit racing behind his back: 1993 - Swedish Formula Opel Champion; 1994 - Formula Opel Euro Series; 1995 - Formula Renault Euro Cup; 1996 - Italian Formula 3 Championship and Runner-up in the Renault Spider Euro Cup; 1997 - Winner of the Renault Spider Euro Cup; 1998 - BTCC Class B Champion; 1999 - Third of the STCC; 2000 - STCC Champion; 2001 & 2002 - Euro TC Series; 2003, 2004 & 2005 - STCC.

I've been often to Lydden, Mondello (I miss both venues, they were grand!), Brands Hatch, Croft and Pembrey (just once). And yes – at least Lydden, Mondello and Croft are much faster than most of the ERC tracks.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1697155)   #33
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
Rustad has actually done nearly more European RX rounds this year than in all his life before. He did a couple of home ECRs but went only on a very few occasions (for Martin) abroad. However, he has a stunning career of circuit racing behind his back: 1993 - Swedish Formula Opel Champion; 1994 - Formula Opel Euro Series; 1995 - Formula Renault Euro Cup; 1996 - Italian Formula 3 Championship and Runner-up in the Renault Spider Euro Cup; 1997 - Winner of the Renault Spider Euro Cup; 1998 - BTCC Class B Champion; 1999 - Third of the STCC; 2000 - STCC Champion; 2001 & 2002 - Euro TC Series; 2003, 2004 & 2005 - STCC.

I've been often to Lydden, Mondello (I miss both venues, they were grand!), Brands Hatch, Croft and Pembrey (just once). And yes – at least Lydden, Mondello and Croft are much faster than most of the ERC tracks.
I have to say rustad has really had a very good circuit racing career.

cant argue with you guru well argued point as usual !

Old 29 Aug 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1697173)   #34
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As full circle commented you really need to witness first hand before you can make any comment worth it's salt. I have also been to Holland for the past number of years. The circuits in Europe are most definitely more Karting style compared to anything else in the UK or Ireland.

Dermot is never afraid of commitment in the fast stuff, he just maybe needs more time to adopt to the tight and technical stuff. He's been Rallycrossing on fast circuits all his life. Eurocircuit is totally different from what he is used to driving.

As Roundy Mooney said, the ERC is so competitive, 1 second could be the difference between 1st & 10th. A little bit more time spent driving on the technical circuits and you never know? But, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Never the less, Evans has that extra second of pace. Many people also seem to forget that at his first ERC event in France last year, he beat Papa Pallier in a straight fight, yes on French turf! So he's already shown the way to 2 major heavyweights in European Rallycross at both home (even though he beat Hansen in England which isn't really home for Chris!) and away.

So don't right off these guys so quickly. Watch this space...
Old 30 Aug 2006, 07:37 (Ref:1697326)   #35
fullcircle
Racer

Quote:
No need to get like that, we all know how many times rustad has been around the european race tracks. that is why he is doing so well.

Again you have totally missed my point. Rustad has done well at tracks which he has never been to. Lousadsa, Mayenne, Belgium, Holland (where he beat Dermot who has been there several times) Greinbach, Hungary. These are all tracks he has never raced at and he has been right on the pace
Old 30 Aug 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1697333)   #36
fullcircle
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti Alamaki
As full circle commented you really need to witness first hand before you can make any comment worth it's salt. I have also been to Holland for the past number of years. The circuits in Europe are most definitely more Karting style compared to anything else in the UK or Ireland.

Dermot is never afraid of commitment in the fast stuff, he just maybe needs more time to adopt to the tight and technical stuff. He's been Rallycrossing on fast circuits all his life. Eurocircuit is totally different from what he is used to driving.

As Roundy Mooney said, the ERC is so competitive, 1 second could be the difference between 1st & 10th. A little bit more time spent driving on the technical circuits and you never know? But, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Never the less, Evans has that extra second of pace. Many people also seem to forget that at his first ERC event in France last year, he beat Papa Pallier in a straight fight, yes on French turf! So he's already shown the way to 2 major heavyweights in European Rallycross at both home (even though he beat Hansen in England which isn't really home for Chris!) and away.

So don't right off these guys so quickly. Watch this space...
It was a shame Evans didnt go to Mayenne this year although the track is a little tight and twisty he could have gone very well as he is clearly much quicker this year and also the track was new for a lot of the Div 1 boys

To put last year in context a little. Yes he beat Pallier on home soil but it has to be said Pallier is a little hit and miss these days (Ive seen him in a C final this year cant remeber where though). What was more convincing is he beat Larson who certainly isnt hit and miss.

Lets hope Christopher can go into Europe a little more next year as I am sure he will be able to mix it
Old 30 Aug 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1697485)   #37
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
When Rustad was fixed as returnee to RX me and some of my counterparts expected him to become the first real threat for "His Kennyness" in years. Kenneth is not frightened of any of his current competitors and if one asked him for true rivals he has mentioned Martin Schanche, Ludvig Hunsbedt and Will Gollop during the last couple of years... However, Tommy was not a 2006 impact so far and he told me at Maasmechelen that his main problem are the starts. It seems that he had lost the right reaction to "explode" during his years of circuit racing. And as a good start is "90% of the rent" for RX (as we say over here) he needs some more ECRs to be really back on the scene. And by the way, his engine did not sound very well to me both in Belgium and Holland.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1697496)   #38
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
PhergAthor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one can argue that UK and Irish guys are bad drivers, nor that their cars are. Doran once proved he can match European speed (Q8 RS200), Evans beat Hansen in Croft, so we need to make comparrison between the drivers on more occasions to exclude the factor "luck".

But to be on the pace from day one, you need drivers like Rustad or Radstrom or Van Woensel. (Van Woensel did a one-off event last year in Belgium in the sub-top subaru of Vanmechelen and almost got the crowd into delirium.) Maybe young gun Jordan has this kind of tallent as he is doing well in his first season D1.

I need to see them more often in the ERC to judge them better, but until I 've seen them regularly in ERC A-finals, I would not put any money on them.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1697798)   #39
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Again you have totally missed my point. Rustad has done well at tracks which he has never been to. Lousadsa, Mayenne, Belgium, Holland (where he beat Dermot who has been there several times) Greinbach, Hungary. These are all tracks he has never raced at and he has been right on the pace
As i said you have missed my point, which is basically what matti said, they need more technical experience.

Old 1 Sep 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1699368)   #40
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Steve Hill has 'that' talent. His car is old, over weight, underpowered plus he is still new to rallycross. Stick him in a real rallycross car and i think he could compete with the best.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1699400)   #41
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie
I think Steve Hill has 'that' talent. His car is old, over weight, underpowered plus he is still new to rallycross. Stick him in a real rallycross car and i think he could compete with the best.
His car may be old / overweight/ underpowered, but he can pedal it quick enough!!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1699448)   #42
HrRACING
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shropshire / Mid Wales
HrRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Friendly
His car may be old / overweight/ underpowered, but he can pedal it quick enough!!
That was his point!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1699449)   #43
winnie
Racer

winnie has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Exactly
Old 1 Sep 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1699553)   #44
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie
Also as opposed to the 'fake' rallycross cars we see!
Old 2 Sep 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1700006)   #45
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Friendly
Also as opposed to the 'fake' rallycross cars we see!
Define Fake rallycross cars ?

Old 4 Sep 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1701374)   #46
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
Quote:
Define Fake rallycross cars ?
Define 'real' rallycross cars?
Old 4 Sep 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1701736)   #47
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
Real or fake cars, this is a link to a Belgian tv-show. First they show the 24hours of Zolder (GT-racing) and after about 19minutes the ERC-round in Valkenswaard.

Enjoy.
Old 4 Sep 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1701793)   #48
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wot link????
Old 5 Sep 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1702128)   #49
PhergAthor
Racer

Belgium
Maasmechelen, Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhergAthor
Real or fake cars, this is a link to a Belgian tv-show. First they show the 24hours of Zolder (GT-racing) and after about 19minutes the ERC-round in Valkenswaard.

Enjoy.
This link: http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...8&q=pitstop+tv

Sorry
Old 5 Sep 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1702167)   #50
RogerSmith
Rookie

RogerSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a note...l

... to thank u for the footage. Respect