Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Sep 2008, 07:35 (Ref:2298803)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's coming up to 3 years now that we have had this thread up and it continues to be a long haul for Andrew. Clearly, however, he is making slow but steady progress. I am sure we all want to be kept up to date with that progress and this thread will remain open for any future updates. However, I am now 'unsticking' it from the top of our forum threads.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 13:02 (Ref:2300318)   #77
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent to read the progress Sue. Well done to both of you and good to see you out at Brands earlier in the month!

Old 31 Aug 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2531763)   #78
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the latest from Andrew and Sue? Things still progressing? The last update was nearly a year ago but was perhaps the most cheering of them all.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2532306)   #79
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good timing, Allen. I spoke to them at Oulton Park on Sunday. Andrew is still making steady progress, although obviously frustrated at the fact that he still can't walk and is in a wheelchair. However, he showed me that he was getting better control of his leg movements, exercising them as we spoke and making some lateral stepping movement (getting ready to press those driving pedals, again!) and is trying to relearn walking 'properly' as opposed to straight/stiff legged. So, it's a long haul but the progress is still forward. Sue was in the Elva and I'll hopefully have a decent pic of her in it for my pictorial review.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2532308)   #80
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Its hard to grasp what Sue and Andrew have been through but i have never seen them down beat and they are both so cheerful when you see them.Just a lovely couple and an inspiration to us all.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2532345)   #81
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
...an inspiration to us all.
I completely agree.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2532362)   #82
mike faloon
Rookie

mike faloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spoke to Sue on Saturday, she'd had a cracking race, a couple of people to battle with and had thoroughly enjoyed herself.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2532473)   #83
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was making my single-seat debut at Oulton Park this weekend having bought Doug Martin's Elva 200 FJ. Andrew Spence was one of several people who stopped to introduce himself to me, and have a friendly chat. In the race on Sunday Sue and I had a great dice, which she won. We had a nice chat at the Prize-giving afterwards.

Lovely people, and it is a pleasure to have made their acquaintance.

James
Old 3 Sep 2009, 04:28 (Ref:2533530)   #84
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to hear!
Old 4 Sep 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2534450)   #85
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just got back from my weekly physio session,thought I would let you all know that after coming out of the phys dept,who should I bump into?
Very pleased to report that Andrew,although using walking frames,walked into phys on his own!!
He obviously has a little further to go yet,but being so cheerfull and pleasant as they are,I dont imagine that will take much longer now.What a pleasure to have met them at long last and truly inspirational! Andrew,Sue,what a fantastic job!!!!!!!
Old 4 Sep 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2534507)   #86
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Do you know what!! Ive just remembered at Rockingham i made Andrew and Sue a cup of tea . She said "thats was a lovelly cuppa Iain". Ah Ha.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2534985)   #87
Sue Spence
Rookie

Sue Spence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it is truly heartening to see that folks out there are still checking on our progress after all this time. Thanks to all who have added such complimentary posts recently.
Great to catch up with John at Oulton and meet (finally) Terence at the local physio department, what a small world.
Been an action packed year so far with me deciding to fall down stairs early in Jan and being carted off to the local hospital. Fortunately nothing broken but very sore, bit like a french farce getting the large carton of milk out of the fridge, took two of us! Once again friends rallied round to help till I was able to get back up to speed with the help of timely physio treatment, we were having family appointments!
March saw us at Bruntingthorpe with our great friend Calum Lockie who spent a day with me in a westfield getting me back up to speed and starting the process of putting the demons in my head to bed. Fabulous day. Andrew astounded us both by getting up the double flight of stairs to the cafe -there was a bacon and egg butty waiting! - part 2 to follow.....

Last edited by Sue Spence; 5 Sep 2009 at 17:51.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2534990)   #88
Sue Spence
Rookie

Part 2 - We have had several outings this year in the car, latest being Oulton where I had a great dice with James Owen - such fun, best outing of season so far. Eagle eyed watchers may have seen himself usurping my position and sitting in the Elva to warm it up, methinks he's after my seat!

We continue to push the rehab and are Wii'ing thanks to a Christmas present. All are adding to Andrew's strength and overall stamina. We have changed tack on the walking and are pushing for walking in the correct way and not with straight locked out legs, means Andrew has to learn a whole new technique and fool his brain into thinking the new way is safe and he won't fall. Also developing new treatment methods with his physio Hayley ( who has the patience of a Saint and a great sense of humour) which involves the three of us, a set of parallel bars and a very long length of seat belt strapping - all I can tell you is it is working!

We are now finished our racing in the UK as the last rounds are at circuits which are a bit too far in the car for Andrew to cope with. Next part of the Spence adventure is a trip to the Historic Festival in the Algarve in October. Flights and hotel are booked and paid for, transport down for the race car arranged so it must be going to happen. Starting to get a bit excited as it will be our first European adventure since accident. Oh dear, part 3 coming up
Old 5 Sep 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2534998)   #89
Sue Spence
Rookie

Part 3 nearly finished!

The support and encouragement we recieve wherever we go and at the circuits are very important and are one of the things that keep us going, it does get tough at times so it is a big thank you to all of you out there in the cheering section and those ready with a cup of tea when needed.

Sue and Andrew
Old 5 Sep 2009, 18:04 (Ref:2535001)   #90
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sue - this is a great story. When we towed the remains of the Elva back from Spa, and then later took it back home to you, I never thought we'd see a Spence drive it again. The fact that, between the two of you, you have rebuilt it and raced it is incredible.

There's just one more thing to make the story complete...

Here's hoping!
Old 5 Sep 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2535041)   #91
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is in every way quite some achievement,Andrew is back on his feet,Sue has obviously worked extremely hard helping him and they have proven that you really dont need to build a continuation/replica if you have the determination to build on what you have. BRAVO to you both!!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2535344)   #92
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with that. Good to hear latest news as well.
Old 30 Sep 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2551376)   #93
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck in Portugal Sue, glad to hear Andrew continues to make progress. Sorry we won't be there to watch but it clashes with our return to Spain. Today I sent off my licence application - just need to find a cheap, reliable junior so we can enjoy a tussle next season.
Old 9 Feb 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2828798)   #94
Sue Spence
Rookie

Hi to all our followers, how can we be teetering on the edge of the 2011 season? Apologies for the abscence not sure where the time has gone. The annual rebuild is about to begin in that cold workshop, haven't been able to include extending the heating system into my variety of plumbing activities, but Andrew,ever helpful, tells me to keep moving while he disappears back into the house for a warm up. Don't know what the rest of the girls got for Christmas but my pressie was an exhaust system - a thing of real beauty.
Andrew now travelling short distances with crutches, an art he still needs to perfect. He has been strung up again above the treadmill for more walking practice, we both wish there was a quicker way to get that muscle bulk back.
Looks like we will be late starters this year as temps too cold for Andrew in March and Cadwell a no go area for a wheelchair. We will see you all around the paddocks on a glorious hot sunny day soon (we hope!) Sue x
Old 10 Feb 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2828930)   #95
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Sue, great to hear from you and of Andrew's progress. Sure that we'll catch up again somewhere this year.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2829010)   #96
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Spence View Post
Hi to all our followers, how can we be teetering on the edge of the 2011 season? Apologies for the abscence not sure where the time has gone. The annual rebuild is about to begin in that cold workshop, haven't been able to include extending the heating system into my variety of plumbing activities, but Andrew,ever helpful, tells me to keep moving while he disappears back into the house for a warm up. Don't know what the rest of the girls got for Christmas but my pressie was an exhaust system - a thing of real beauty.
Andrew now travelling short distances with crutches, an art he still needs to perfect. He has been strung up again above the treadmill for more walking practice, we both wish there was a quicker way to get that muscle bulk back.
Looks like we will be late starters this year as temps too cold for Andrew in March and Cadwell a no go area for a wheelchair. We will see you all around the paddocks on a glorious hot sunny day soon (we hope!) Sue x
How about some pics Sue on "Winter rebuild thread"xxxxxxx Iain.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 18:39 (Ref:3504928)   #97
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Myself and James Owen "HRTR5", paid a visit to Andrew yesterday. What an inspiration Andrew is. Its been ten years since his accident at Spa which I found hard to believe, we had a spare tow van at Spa that year so were able to bring Andrew and Sue's trailer back for them.
Through out these past ten years I have never found Andrew to be down cast or even feeling sorry for himself but I am sure he must of had the darkest of dark days. Not to mention Sue what a strong lady she is.
These winter months are always tough and I have moaned about enlarge prostate and the flu not to mention lake of money but F.F.S what Andrew and Sue have been through my problems just don't come anywhere near close.
Sue is talking about racing a Mazda MX5 so good luck to them both there.
That's it really, I just came away thinking how lucky I am and that they deserve a mention and not to let them think they have gone off the radar.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3504937)   #98
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed. Definitely inspirational. Thanks for that. The only time I met Sue was immediately after the accident. Not much one could say at that time.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 06:25 (Ref:3505066)   #99
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks for the update Iain. Been a while since Ive seen either Sue or Andrew, often got the chance to chat whilst we were waiting to go into the physio treatment ward at Ely hospital.Since having the troublesome nerves removed I've had no need of physio-plus moving away!.
Its the kind of recovery that should give out the message Dont give up!
Make it happen.
Old 15 Feb 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3505234)   #100
Sue Spence
Rookie

Meanwhile deep in the Fens.....

Great to see you on Friday and thanks for these kind words. It's the support of all you fellow petrol heads that keep us in the loop and encourage us to soldier on.
Hoping 2015 gives me a chance to do something a bit different which doesn't involve pushing trailers around, loading and unloading trailers and putting engines and gearboxes in and out of the chassis. I also need to have more time for Andrew at a meeting, the way we do it now has become too much. Just need the budget which is why the dear old Elva is for sale. Then there will be no stopping us.