Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 9 Feb 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1220793)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Smokey Smell

I need some advice from those in the know!

I need to change my car. The lease is just about up on my present one and I actually have to buy something myself (shock horror!). That's not the problem though. I found a car I'm very interested in yesterday afternoon and I'm going back to give it a run on Friday morning. If all is well, I shall definitely have it.

But the problem is that the previous owners were obviously smokers. The car reeks. As a relatively recent (8 months and counting) quitter, it doesn't bother me that much, but my asthmatic and very sensitive-nosed wife (who loves the car) says she won't get in it unless the smell can be got rid of.

The car is otherwise immaculate but I guess hasn't been valeted as well as it could have been - that familiar "new car smell" is missing.

So, how easy is it to get rid of smokey smells lingering in a car. I really need to get rid of them rather than just temporarily masking them. Any tricks of the trade or good products that will do the trick?
Old 9 Feb 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1220806)   #2
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think you can buy a deoderant that will help. not sure how good the stuff is.

in my experiance the smoke smell only lingers in cars if the ash tray is used.
Old 9 Feb 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1220841)   #3
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need to clean the hood lining. As the smoke rises it becomes impregnated in the lining.
Just use one of the spray on foam type upholstery cleaners and some warm soapy water and give it a few goes.
It may take some time but you will get rid of it eventually. Also try and leave the windows down a bit during the day to let the hot air out of the car. The smell seems to be worse when the temp is warm, not that that will be a problem for you now.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 9 Feb 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1221446)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the advice.

Is there any particular product that those in the trade recommend?
Old 10 Feb 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1221636)   #5
bartman71
Veteran

bartman71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am not in the detailing trade but am a mechanic. not sure what is available over in england
Old 10 Feb 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1222241)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never buy a smoker's car, I was once told.

Often there are little burns here and there as well as the stench.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 09:20 (Ref:1227996)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, the damn thing is so good otherwise that I have bought it.....

I gave the car a very thorough going-over and it is immaculate - aside from the smell. The garage agreed to give the car a complete valet, inside and out for me, including the headlining (which they admitted they wouldn't normally do). When I get it home (hopefully tomorrow), whatever its like then my lad (who is an apprentice mechanic with Mitsubishi) is going to give it another full valet, inside and out. (And if he takes as long as he does when he gives his Nissan Cherry Turbo a going over, I won't get to drive it for a week........ )

As to the smoker's warning, I was a smoker for a long, long time until 8 months ago, and I can only remember having one accident which left a burn, many years ago.
Old 17 Feb 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1228010)   #8
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayse - how on earth did previous owner have time to smoke in Toyota Gt One...