Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jul 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3917371)   #101
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
HMS did indeed have the choice as the sponsorship was from Alfa dealers, who at the time had Giulia and Giuliettas to flog. And unless I'm mixing things up again the Giulia wheelbase is longer than the #HARD VWs. Never mind the BMW 3 series...
Giulia 2820mm
3-series 2851mm
CC 2711mm

The car that so many people fear is too dominant has a longer wheelbase (and body length) than the 'too long' Giulia.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3917372)   #102
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
But as a works team you essentially run what the manufacturer wants you to run. HMS had the choice
And chose to not run a RWD, for reasons that WSR are demonstrating as not being valid.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 14:52 (Ref:3917381)   #103
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As for Excelr8 expect a Mini Clubman in time for the hybrid package. Will help BMW promote electric minis nicely ��
I'm not convinced we will see a Mini Clubman now Mini Challenge has become part of the event
Old 13 Jul 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3917390)   #104
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I'm not convinced we will see a Mini Clubman now Mini Challenge has become part of the event
I hope not... obviously not any team's deciding factor, but I can only imagine an NGTC Clubman would look a bit silly compared to a Jag!
Old 13 Jul 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3917396)   #105
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Btw would Mini be at all possible given that BMW (their owner) has a factory team in the BTCC?
Old 13 Jul 2019, 17:47 (Ref:3917409)   #106
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
HMS did indeed have the choice as the sponsorship was from Alfa dealers, who at the time had Giulia and Giuliettas to flog. And unless I'm mixing things up again the Giulia wheelbase is longer than the #HARD VWs. Never mind the BMW 3 series...
But they chose the one which Alfa had just announced was going to be discontinued, which immediately limited the possibility of getting works funding in the future.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3917411)   #107
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so technically if they don't have any Alfa backing there is no point to continue with that thing

maybe a good idea to bring Sherman back and give it the "Infinity" treatment ?

if Moffat will have success with it then it would be a no brainer really
Old 13 Jul 2019, 22:02 (Ref:3917425)   #108
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
maybe a good idea to bring Sherman back and give it the "Infinity" treatment ?

if Moffat will have success with it then it would be a no brainer really
Depends if that particular A4 has been on sale brand new in the UK in the past 5 years. Besides, someone else owns the cars now.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3917473)   #109
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do they at least still have that Avensis ? it was far better than the Alfa
Old 14 Jul 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3917576)   #110
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
do they at least still have that Avensis ? it was far better than the Alfa

Yes as they were offering it for a TCT drive, no idea if anyone took them up on it tho
Old 14 Jul 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3917672)   #111
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
But they chose the one which Alfa had just announced was going to be discontinued, which immediately limited the possibility of getting works funding in the future.
Never any works funding. Zero chance of that, FCA is a bloody great mess. The Giulietta was given another stay of execution after a production pause. Likely will be manufactured up 'til the factory summer break in 2020.

As for the Excelr8 and Jaguar link: anything is possible, but Jag XE and XF are under review - both cars could be production ended sooner rather than later. Although if I was a betting man I'd wager the larger XF will get the chop with a next gen XE gaining a few more inches.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 20:03 (Ref:3917674)   #112
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Giulia 2820mm
3-series 2851mm
CC 2711mm

The car that so many people fear is too dominant has a longer wheelbase (and body length) than the 'too long' Giulia.
In that case Mr Austin was either talking nonsense or simply doesn't/ didn't want a big car. How big was the trusty old Toyota?
Old 14 Jul 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3917681)   #113
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
In that case Mr Austin was either talking nonsense or simply doesn't/ didn't want a big car. How big was the trusty old Toyota?
The avensis wheelbase is 2700mm

The A4 wheelbase is 2808mm, with a 4703mm length.

I'm going for the talking nonsense option.
Old 14 Jul 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3917682)   #114
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
As for the Excelr8 and Jaguar link: anything is possible, but Jag XE and XF are under review - both cars could be production ended sooner rather than later. Although if I was a betting man I'd wager the larger XF will get the chop with a next gen XE gaining a few more inches.

Dont discount that JLR have registered the brand name "Road Rover" and I think they are planning to start using it next year so if we are looking the JLR route it might end up being something completely new
Old 15 Jul 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3917868)   #115
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think virtually all the cars have gotten larger and longer in wheelbase terms. The Nissan Primera was 2600mm but it was admittedly one of the smaller cars of the era. I think also the teams were allowed to massage the wheelbase a bit so it didn’t have to be exactly the same as the road car.
Old 15 Jul 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3917892)   #116
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
There must be something to Austin running the Alfa during the mid season test. I expect an announcement before 2019 is out

This seems to indicate that there is indeed "something"

http://www.btcc.net/2019/07/15/rob-a...1T4tXvxr8IJ58U

I talked to the team personnel when they displayed a second Giulietta that they have built at the AROC National Alfa Day (AROC gave them some small sponsorship last year, as part of a 2-year deal which the Club expects to fulfil next year), and they seemed pretty sure that they'll be back next year, hopefully with two cars
Old 15 Jul 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3917899)   #117
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that’s good they are planning on coming back. Didn’t see anything on a guest appearance for the second half of the season, but I guess that was kind of wishful thinking

Any reason why BTC Racing aren’t running?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3917904)   #118
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Never any works funding. Zero chance of that, FCA is a bloody great mess. The Giulietta was given another stay of execution after a production pause. Likely will be manufactured up 'til the factory summer break in 2020.

Are the Jaguars aluminium? How would the roll cage be attached to get equal chassis stiffness to a steel car?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3917913)   #119
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Are the Jaguars aluminium? How would the roll cage be attached to get equal chassis stiffness to a steel car?
I'm 90% sure they are aluminium. Not sure what form of witchcraft would be needed... smarter people than I myst have stuck aluminium and steel together before now?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 21:39 (Ref:3917935)   #120
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm 90% sure they are aluminium. Not sure what form of witchcraft would be needed... smarter people than I myst have stuck aluminium and steel together before now?
Was the old Audi V8 DTM car from the early 90s not aloominum?
Old 15 Jul 2019, 22:22 (Ref:3917945)   #121
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
smarter people than I myst have stuck aluminium and steel together before now?
The Hindenburg?
Old 16 Jul 2019, 06:48 (Ref:3917961)   #122
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
The Jag is definitely aluminium.

Think you could be right Craner on the Audi DTM car too... though need to dig! Certainly Audi were experimenting with aluminium back then, the little A2 road car was aluminium - and very expensive because of that. However it did also return 60mpg back when half that was a decent figure.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 07:24 (Ref:3917965)   #123
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Was the old Audi V8 DTM car from the early 90s not aloominum?
Alloy roll cages were allowed then
Old 16 Jul 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3917972)   #124
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The ROPS in an NGTC build must conform to FIA Art.253.8
This defines the material as 'Cold drawn seamless unalloyed carbon steel'

The Article then gives a special case description for attaching to a non steel body/shell - 'For non steel bodyshells/chassis, any weld between the cage and the bodyshell/chassis is prohibited, only the bonding of the reinforcement plate on the bodyshell/chassis is permitted.'

So it is possible and a case is given for it in the build regs, which is for the ROPS to be bonded to the shell.
Old 16 Jul 2019, 11:24 (Ref:3917984)   #125
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
cant be too difficult.
Jaguar built a gt4 race car (aluminium body shell) last year

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/news/f-type...t-edition.html