Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2448486)   #26
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having said that, Norbert Haug has now moved the conversation on to the territory of staying in F1 - FOTA need to take budget cutting very much more seriously, or they will lose the car manufacturers.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:11 (Ref:2448495)   #27
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I suspect that Ross Brawn and Christian Horner (and indeed Vijay Mallya) would contest your claim that they're a bunch of nobodies; and while Hamilton might be last year's WDC, he's not going to be challenging for the title this year. So if it's true that Mercedes aren't happy with the current situation with McLaren and they want to switch the bulk of their resources to another team, I can't see how they could be presented with a much better opportunity than currently exists.
Early days yet and you never can tell from FP1 but if you look here... maybe things are looking better for Mac??

Personally I don't see Brawn holding their advantage for a long time. I know it was wet but the Red Bull 1 & 2 in China indicates that Brawn don't have the advantage they held at the first two races!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2448498)   #28
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Early days indeed. Just to relate this practice 1 business to the thread theme - low fuel and soft tyres = nice publicity at a time when McLaren could use some nice publicity.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2448514)   #29
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Early days indeed. Just to relate this practice 1 business to the thread theme - low fuel and soft tyres = nice publicity at a time when McLaren could use some nice publicity.
this constant knocking of mac is really tedious ...
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2448527)   #30
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Hamilton was P1 in the 1st Chinese practice as well IIRC.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2448530)   #31
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
this constant knocking of mac is really tedious ...
Let's see where they qualify then - if its not nearly as good as this result you will see that I am not knocking, merely being realistic.

If however their speed is genuine I will be the first to acknowledge the improvement.

This thread is about Mercedes being unhappy with the culture at McLaren (as reported throughout the F1 media, not me "knocking") - I was only trying to get back on topic.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2448770)   #32
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is Glen, most of us assume McLaren ran light in practice, just as they did in Shanghai. Teams can do whatever they want in practice.

There's no need to publicly put a downer on every single thing they do.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:53 (Ref:2448789)   #33
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
Red Bull are also negotiating with Renault. I suspect the reason they have negotiations outside of Renault is in case Renault decide to pack up and leave, which has been a real possibility for a few years.
Even if Renault pack up and leave as a works team, might they consider keeping the engine program running in the back of another car, especially if that car is competitive? With a "freeze" on engine development (I think until 2013?), perhaps it would be a potentially cost-effective way to keep their name in the sport if the team itself exits...

Last edited by shiny side up!; 24 Apr 2009 at 18:53. Reason: clarification
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2448790)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Glen would never do that, he is quite impartial when it comes to McLaren and it is just a coincidence that he started this thread.

There have been a lot of press about all who are connected to McLaren at the moment. It aint easy to get out of contracts, although performance clauses are cited.

A win looks a way off, but a good result is needed. I don't think a quick time in practice will do it, or that McLaren are trying for that.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2448979)   #35
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
McLaren are not happy about the second world, never mind...
Old 25 Apr 2009, 00:55 (Ref:2448988)   #36
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I know what he is getting at but thought that this quote from Haug was actually pretty funny -"At least once a year we evaluate the situation in Formula 1 and think about our future in the sport. There's always the option to change our position in F1 and simply become an engine supplier only."

Yes, I know that Benz have a big investment in McL (and presumably a pretty good return as well) but in terms of the F1 car they are an engine supplier only right now - not much position change there I would have thought?

They all like to call each other partners and all that but maybe the old Norbert is letting it all go to his head a bit?
Old 25 Apr 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2448989)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I can only imagine many heads being held in many hands in many a board room meeting since Melbourne.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2449093)   #38
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
The thing is Glen, most of us assume McLaren ran light in practice, just as they did in Shanghai. Teams can do whatever they want in practice.

There's no need to publicly put a downer on every single thing they do.
OK, I'll stop with the McLaren thing and just let them do their talking in the track. Good luck to them - I especially wish Heikki another good race, because I like his quiet get on with it sort of manner.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2449138)   #39
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that mercedes should take a step back and realise that it was their egg like engines that costed McLaren numerous wins in '99-01, and a whole championship went up in smoke in 2000. It wasn't until 2003 that they began to build an engine anything like what was required.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2449140)   #40
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001 View Post
I think that mercedes should take a step back and realise that it was their egg like engines that costed McLaren numerous wins in '99-01, and a whole championship went up in smoke in 2000. It wasn't until 2003 that they began to build an engine anything like what was required.
Got to remember that when exotic materials were banned in engine use it was directly aimed at Mercedes, who had based there entire engine development around these techniques. They struggled to get the performance and reliability back after that.

McLaren should take a step back and realise it was Mercedes that brought them there only championships since Honda left.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2449255)   #41
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing to do with having great drivers and great designers then.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2449310)   #42
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Let's see where they qualify then - if its not nearly as good as this result you will see that I am not knocking, merely being realistic.

If however their speed is genuine I will be the first to acknowledge the improvement.

This thread is about Mercedes being unhappy with the culture at McLaren (as reported throughout the F1 media, not me "knocking") - I was only trying to get back on topic.
I'd say the qualifying today and the 5th for Hamilton shows that McLaren are not a million miles away now. Come Barcelona, with a (hopefully) revised aero and diffuser package, I'd think that they'll be there or there abouts.

So Glen - waiting for you to acknowledge that the good P1 showing was not purely show boating for the watching media.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2449348)   #43
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From watching all the practice i would say Hamilton has been close to the pace all weekend, particularly on the harder tyres. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the podium tomorrow. I wouldn't rule him out for the title either as I can see plenty of drivers taking race wins this season without anyone driver or team being dominant. Mercedes would be unwise to rush into anything in my view as MacLaren will be more likely to get it right more often than most.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2449367)   #44
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Important to remember that F1 is not Mercedes core business, it's discretionary spend as an add on to other marketing and brand building activity. Anyone connected with Mercedes F1 program will report to the main board who ultimately decide if and what they do.

It's a bit of a perfect storm for McLaren - they are up infront of the stewards again - been seen to lie which will upset Mercedes integrity and brand values, the general car sales climates is poor and of course Brawn GP has bowled up and done a better job with a car/engine combination put together at the last minute - getting wins as a Brawn-Mercedes, at no cost to Daimler AG.....
Old 25 Apr 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2449575)   #45
IB Tim
Rookie

IB Tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I don't suppose a switch of investment to Brawn GP could be a possibility..?

Selby
I bet it is already done
Old 26 Apr 2009, 05:32 (Ref:2449656)   #46
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Nothing to do with having great drivers and great designers then.
I didn't say that. But telling Mercedes to be appreciative of what McLaren did for them whilst discounting what Mercedes did for McLaren is ridiculous. Therefore I swung the argument to the opposite extreme to show that.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2449796)   #47
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
I'd say the qualifying today and the 5th for Hamilton shows that McLaren are not a million miles away now. Come Barcelona, with a (hopefully) revised aero and diffuser package, I'd think that they'll be there or there abouts.

So Glen - waiting for you to acknowledge that the good P1 showing was not purely show boating for the watching media.
I would have done this sooner - but on a beautiful sunny day like yeserday turning on the computer was the last thing on my mind - well done Hamilton, exceptional performance in a well-fuelled car. I hope he can look after his tyres in the heat. Very impressive comeback from McLaren - maybe some of their defecit was circuit related (and maybe some of the Brawn advantage was similarly down to circumstance).
Old 28 Apr 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2451733)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
This could be an influential factor.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21423.html
Old 28 Apr 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2451762)   #50
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
This could be an influential factor.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21423.html
I had to take a double-check when I looked at the link.

My first thought was ' how can they lose that much money in one qualifying session, I know the FIA can wield some big fines but that's crazy'!!!!