Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jan 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1820439)   #51
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Sorry martyn, I did not mean to step on your post.. I think so, let the other teams and us try and work it out.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1820458)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I think so, let the other teams and us try and work it out.
Maybe when each driver pits for his last set of tyres the teams will let Louise or Ted (or whoever they see fit) have some info.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1820475)   #53
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Err...what Adam said.
Well, I'm concerned about the possible consequences of the mandatory compound change. We might see drivers losing races, only due bad luck caused by the regulations. Especially in combination with the new safety car rules.

For example, what if the safety car comes out two times shortly after each other?
Old 20 Jan 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1820483)   #54
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity! I don't buy into "bad luck" as a result of regulations. The race results are simply a reflection each team's ability to interpret the rules, build a car to those specifications and get the components (including driver) to outperform everyone else's combinations.

Simple really!

I am just going to nip off to the basement now and build a flux capacitor out of bits and bobs lying about down there. Or maybe I will do something really difficult and come up with a foolproof winning program to send to A. Curbishley to propel West Ham to the top of the Table.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 22:15 (Ref:1820544)   #55
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

He's in charge of Charlton now John.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 21 Jan 2007, 00:20 (Ref:1820615)   #56
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest

For example, what if the safety car comes out two times shortly after each other?
What about it? Isn't it the same for everyone?
Old 21 Jan 2007, 03:29 (Ref:1820680)   #57
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Pardew is in charge at Charlton, who won today 1 - 0 against Portsmith for their first road win of the season. Curbishley replaced Pardew at West Ham.

Hope your brain doesn't explode some more, Knowlesy! Who would have thought it: A lonely American knowing who is manager at West Ham and who the man he replaced now being with Charlton.

You better hope Mr V doesn't see this...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 21 Jan 2007 at 03:32.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1820782)   #58
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Come on knowles, get with the program
Old 21 Jan 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1820827)   #59
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What about it? Isn't it the same for everyone?
Not if a team makes the wrong gamble, while it has done by far the best job on anything else. Of course, luck is always a part of the game. But 'God's acts' are something different than luck provided by the regulations.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1820948)   #60
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Come on knowles, get with the program
I'm going bloody mad. I'm sure I read Pardew!

Off for a lie down now.

John, I apologise!
Old 21 Jan 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1820955)   #61
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I accept your apology on one condition, Knowlesy!

You must tell someone that not all Americans are completely ignorant of Football! Here is hoping that Dean Ashton is back on the pitch soon. Despite what he may have done lately, Harewood is a waste of a spot in the team...

Cheers!
Old 21 Jan 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1821002)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Old 21 Jan 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1821061)   #63
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

You must tell someone that not all Americans are completely ignorant of Football!
Thanks for not calling it soccer.

Or suggesting that the goal posts should be further apart.

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Jan 2007 at 18:14.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1821066)   #64
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And John, can you guys please stop calling it ice hockey

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 21 Jan 2007 at 18:18.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 18:21 (Ref:1821071)   #65
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
You say Tomaito and I say Tomarto.

errem....red sidewalls....oooh why not white sidewalls.

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Jan 2007 at 18:23.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 18:28 (Ref:1821084)   #66
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well, I have never called it "ice hockey" and I know who Georges Vezina is!

I take an enormous amount of guff for calling "football" football but that is the price you have to pay I guess. The folks here who think there should be wider posts for more scoring obviously don't have a son who is a goal keeper! Further, needing to see more scoring only tells me how ignorant one is regarding the rest of the game that leads up to the scoring part!

Funny, it seemed this was off topic until I realized that gimmicks such as push to pass or redwalls are right down there with gimmicks such as wider posts or modifying offsides to "allow" more scoring.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1821089)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Funny, it seemed this was off topic until I realized that gimmicks such as push to pass or redwalls are right down there with gimmicks such as wider posts or modifying offsides to "allow" more scoring.
Do you think the new tyre rule has widened or narrowed the posts with regard to F1?
Old 21 Jan 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1821102)   #68
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Narrowed them.

On the surface it would seem to have widened them since everyone will have the same thing tire-wise. To me, since everyone will be operating with tires that have the same levels of grip and which are not favoring thier chassis in particular, they are going to have to work like demons to find an advantage in aero or mechanical grip. It is going to be a nightmare for the drivers and engineers as setup will be way more important now. You won't be able to rely on the tire to mask over your chassis' shortcomings.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1821109)   #69
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Exactly.

Bridgestone say just 4 compounds for entire season!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56408

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Jan 2007 at 18:57.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1821116)   #70
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Harder tyres are something which is a bit of a mixed blessing. The bad side is that drivers will have less mechanical grip, and be forced to run more wing, which in turn will make following in corners harder.

The good side is that there will be less marbles off line, so passing should be easier in that respect.

We will be back to 1999 and 2000 levels of racing, though probably worse, as aero now is far more developed than 7-8 years ago.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 19:18 (Ref:1821124)   #71
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
The bad side is that drivers will have less mechanical grip, and be forced to run more wing, which in turn will make following in corners harder.
Hopefully this is where the "option" tyre plays its part.

I'd be interested to know what sort of lap time difference there was between the two compounds.I suppose the teams won't know until Friday practise in Melbourne.

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Jan 2007 at 19:20.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1821136)   #72
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
red wall tyres

Don't be too positive about less marbles. If they get the set up wrong or conditions change drastically you can easily get more sliding which will overheat the tires (tyres) and cause tire degradation. Been there, done that.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 21:27 (Ref:1821231)   #73
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I really don't get the fascination with "marbles" and the amount of blame being laid at that particular door regarding passing or the lack thereof.

Agreed it made it more difficult in later stages of the race to wade through the "clag" as David Hobbs puts it; but with a harder compound tire you will automatically limit the "alternative racing lines" that can be used. I would think that these tires will be very dependent on the build up of rubber on the racing line to achieve max grip. Wandering off the racing line is going to send our Hero Drivers into the tullies in short order. The tires were much better and much more forgiving in that they were more adhesive than their chassis' were in some cases. You did not fall off because you did not reach the ahesion limits.

My suspicion is that of the "new" drivers guys like AD, who put in a lot of testing miles over the years, are going to be way better off than the Hamiltons and Kovalinnens (hope I spelled that right, V) who just don't have the miles (and therefore the "feel" of the tires) under their belts.

Oh yeah, it is funny to read about passing coming back to the level we so enjoyed in '99 or '00. As I recall joining the forum in '01, the big gripe was the lack of passing in F1...
Old 21 Jan 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1821307)   #74
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
To me, since everyone will be operating with tires that have the same levels of grip and which are not favoring thier chassis in particular, they are going to have to work like demons to find an advantage in aero or mechanical grip. It is going to be a nightmare for the drivers and engineers as setup will be way more important now. You won't be able to rely on the tire to mask over your chassis' shortcomings.
i think this is the reality.

We can talk as much as we like about tyre differentiation, but really, the teams will likely find a fairly similar 'ideal' setup, and subsequent race / pitstop strategy. So really we may lose the variation provided by commitment to hard / soft tyres as you mentioned.

There may be one or two fringe teams who will be affected by this at the odd race (through setup under preparation), but for the big end of town, i dont expect the new regulations will prove anything too different....

the key question to all of this being:

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what sort of lap time difference there was between the two compounds.I suppose the teams won't know until Friday practise in Melbourne.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 23:45 (Ref:1821336)   #75
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketracer

We can talk as much as we like about tyre differentiation, but really, the teams will likely find a fairly similar 'ideal' setup, and subsequent race / pitstop strategy.
Not even the top teams can ever hope to use their tyres in exactly the same way another teams car does.It's dependent on so many things,not least the driver.

One team may find that its car is perfect on the "soft" tyre but hopeless on the "hard" tyres,and vice versa.A compromise may have to be reached.

Note: As far as I'm aware the teams have used a "hard" tyre in Barcelona and a "soft" tyre at Jerez and other tracks.I'm not sure if both have been used at the same track?

Last edited by Marbot; 21 Jan 2007 at 23:51.