Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 16 Mar 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2846959)   #26
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson View Post
Many people think this but... Emerson never was a Jim Russell pupil.
He started with his own FF Merlyn and won from the start, Jim saw his potential and organised an F3 car for him mid-season and became his manager. His F3 car was sponsored by Jim's racing school. Emmo never did the school course, he was already a multiple Brazilian F.Vee winner when he arrived in the UK. Jim admitted there was little he could teach him anyway, a 'natural'.
Whoops! I knew he was Emmo's manager before Chapman got hold of him. Must dig out my Dad's Jim Russell book. He knew Jim many years ago as he grew up in Downham Market. I can just remember Jim had a full race simulator at his garage based around a F3 I think.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2846983)   #27
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a new pitlane being constructed on the infield short straight which is paralell to senna straight? I knew that they were extending the paddock to that point near tyrells.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2847109)   #28
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of the names are a joke. Hamilton? over Mansell?
Old 16 Mar 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2847153)   #29
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently that corner has had preferential treatment throughout its life, is really hard on tyres, is arrogant and has no personality, although it's good in the wet.

Much like Lewis...
Old 16 Mar 2011, 23:25 (Ref:2847178)   #30
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm disappointed that the Russell and Sear corner names have been ditched. Afterall, both individuals played key roles in the development of racing at Snetterton and therefore it does not feel right that these names have been replaced, particularly with names with no particular relevance to racing at Snetterton such as Montreal.

Looking forward to seeing the new circuit this weekend, though.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2847269)   #31
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour has it that the toilet block is going to be called Eddies. Apparently after some bloke called Jordan who is full of s#*%. Don’t know what they mean by that?
Old 18 Mar 2011, 08:57 (Ref:2847991)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!

Having caught up with the announcement of new names am also disappointed with some changes- especially Sear & Russell being lost. At my age reckon that I will continue to refer them by the old ones as will many of my fellow 'historic' racers!

Old 18 Mar 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2848005)   #33
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
BTW as for "Murrays" being after a tennis player, I was trying to be funny.....obviously didn't work.
I got it, but then I have a good sarcasm detector!
Old 18 Mar 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2848006)   #34
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just hope that a lot of Tenths members will make it to Snetterton at the end of April for the 360MRC 6 Hour Endurance Race, we'll be coming over from Ireland, so anyone that lives within an hours drive of Snetterton has no excuse!
Old 18 Mar 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2848016)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Calling a corner after yourself is the height of pomposity and arrogance in my eyes. Especially if you are likely to be aorund for years and not retired.

I can understand if you have some kind of link to the track like Ralph Firman, but Palmer has no link to theat palce other than he owns it and refurbished it.

Next thing Jct 21-18 on the M25 will be called Morrison Jct 21 - 18.

It never worked with Opal Fruits either!

The improvements are welcome and great but this is rather arrogent and OTT, everyone, call the old corners by their names, just like we do at KNockhill!!
Old 18 Mar 2011, 11:45 (Ref:2848054)   #36
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chunder,

I could not dissagree more with you over the naming of a NEW corner "Palmers". I was one who voted for that name in recognition for a man that has done more to reinvigorate motor sport at his circuits and has had the foresight to invest heavily in them, especially at the wonderfull new Snetterton development. I do not think he had much say in the matter as it was a public vote.

I say three cheers for Mr Palmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Calling a corner after yourself is the height of pomposity and arrogance in my eyes. Especially if you are likely to be aorund for years and not retired.

I can understand if you have some kind of link to the track like Ralph Firman, but Palmer has no link to theat palce other than he owns it and refurbished it.

The improvements are welcome and great but this is rather arrogent and OTT, everyone, call the old corners by their names, just like we do at KNockhill!!
Old 18 Mar 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2848058)   #37
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Having caught up with the announcement of new names am also disappointed with some changes- especially Sear & Russell being lost. At my age reckon that I will continue to refer them by the old ones as will many of my fellow 'historic' racers!

Mike , like you and i,m sure hundreds of others, i will also continue to refer to the old names on the original circuit.

GT.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2848064)   #38
stevebrown
Racer

England
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I'm with gt917 on this. I was going to vote for Palmer but came up with other names instead when I voted. If you look at the MSV site JP didn't name it after himself to be arrogant. a lot of people suggested it.
I have a big problem with Lewis Hamilton having a corner named after him. That's a complete joke. What association has he got with Snet? Oh yeah he raced their a couple of times. Bet he doesn't even acknowledge the fact.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 12:50 (Ref:2848077)   #39
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
I have a big problem with Lewis Hamilton having a corner named after him. That's a complete joke. What association has he got with Snet? Oh yeah he raced their a couple of times. Bet he doesn't even acknowledge the fact.
I thought it was named after Lady Emma to go with the corner named after Lord Horatio.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2848080)   #40
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had no idea it was a public vote, so fair does

But the "public" vote more for Xfactor than for the general election, so in reality what does that prove.

I have respect for Palmer but he is not doing these things for the good of us, he is doing it to make money, either now or eventually. He doesn't get a big crowd at Snett for BSB, and wants one, he dropped other rounds this year for more rounds at his tracks aswell.

I don't have a problem with this, but I also don't have to have any sentiment towards the guy. I don't see Wheatcrofts at Donington, or anything similar at Silverstone. Can anyone think of a corner named after a circuit owner in fact?
Old 18 Mar 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2848083)   #41
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Can anyone think of a corner named after a circuit owner in fact?
Mondello Park, Birrannes Bends on the "International" loop.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 13:12 (Ref:2848086)   #42
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was Foulstons at Oulton named after the previous owners?
Old 18 Mar 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2848088)   #43
stevebrown
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I thought it was named after Lady Emma to go with the corner named after Lord Horatio.
No its on the MSV site def refers to Lewis
Old 18 Mar 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2848097)   #44
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't see Wheatcrofts at Donington
Not a corner, but there is the Wheatcroft Straight (start/finish straight). I dare say that Kevin and the family would very much like to make some money from Donington Park for a change, and I don't expect anyone really begrudges them that or the fact that part of the circuit carries the family name. We came close enough to *not* having a track at all round here, so my personal view is that if folks want to name a corner at Snetterton after JP, so be it. He's done a lot for the MSV circuits collectively.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2848116)   #45
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
"I have respect for Palmer but he is not doing these things for the good of us, he is doing it to make money, either now or eventually. He doesn't get a big crowd at Snett for BSB, and wants one, he dropped other rounds this year for more rounds at his tracks as well "
Chunder,

I can tell you that if he does not make money we will not have any motorsport at these circuits. As a racer, sometimes marshall and an historic racing enthusiast i hope he continues to make lots of money.
Do not assume that it is just Mr Palmer who alters things around. All motorsport and race organisers are looking very closely at the market conditions and many have fallen by the wayside.

Please keep on doing what you are doing so well Mr Palmer. Looking ahead and making money for the benefit of us all.

GT.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2848291)   #46
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can anyone think of a corner named after a circuit owner in fact?
Chesson's Drift at Lydden Hill takes it name from former owner, Bill Chesson.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2848501)   #47
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually it wasn't a public vote.

The public were asked to put forward suggestions, which went to a selection panel headed by JP.

Some of the names I suggested went through, but I think its a shame that Oliver Sear has lost his corner (especially as the other founders of motorsport at Snetterton: Dudley Coram and Fred Riches, keep theirs) , George Revett his straight and Jim Russell his corner.
Old 19 Mar 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2848716)   #48
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I remember a few of these now, but a ew of these people died!!

It doesnt really matter I guess, I was unware of the vote or suggestion thing, so if people wanted it they will get it. "Selection panel headed by JP" lol

Seems a shame to lose Revett, Sear etc, but I think most people will still call them that!

As far as names go, who on earth was Charlie?
Old 19 Mar 2011, 10:17 (Ref:2848718)   #49
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
It'll be no different to places like Brands where Graham Hill is still called Bottom bend by many of the wrinklies still racing
Old 19 Mar 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2848738)   #50
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suppose we can all be thankful they didn't go down the Tilke naming convention. That bloke "Turn" has an awful lot of corners named after him now, does anyone know who he was?