Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 1 May 2019, 12:20 (Ref:3900978)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Video Camera Recommendations

I may have asked this question before.... (when you get to my age, remembering what you did yesterday is hard enough..... ).

For my now infrequent circuit visits, generally limited to Le Mans and the Silverstone WEC each year, I like to take a decent amount of video. In the past I have used Panasonic video cameras, initially to tape and more recently to card. Over the last couple of years I've come to the conclusion that my iPhone actually takes better video so that is what I've used. However I haven't given up the idea of buying a decent camcorder if I can find one that takes really good quality footage. I've looked around and it seems to me that most of the sites tend to promote what is in their interests to promote, so I thought I'd see if anyone here can recommend anything suitable that isn't going to cost the earth... I'm talking a few hundred rather than thousands!

Any thoughts?
Old 1 May 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3901083)   #2
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi there, I use a Panasonic HC-V700 and cant praise it enough. Its almost 7 years old now and compared to even the most modern dslr or camcorder when shooting in equal modes it still looks stunning.

As for all this talk of mobiles being able to match camcorders, sorry but i think that's a load of crap. Maybe if its just friends, parties stuff like that then great great, but not for sports action.

Have a look at my youtube channel to see how good my 7year!!!! old camcorder still is. Make sure you watch in top quality, 1080P @50fps.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC49...dt6zOaSB-4f-xg
Old 1 May 2019, 21:12 (Ref:3901084)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks mate.

Yes, that footage looks pretty good. I confess my two old camcorders were beginning to show their age anyway, even when I abandoned the 'younger' one 2-3 years ago. The footage from my iPhone 7 Plus isn't so bad although following cars at speed and at significant zoom isn't great (as you would expect) so much of my shooting has been confined to cars passing in front of the camera and not being tracked by it. I'm particularly keen (for obvious reasons) to find a camcorder that has some chance of decent footage at night too... I'll check out the HC-V700 though....
Old 1 May 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3901085)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There seems to be an upgraded version.....?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-H...dp_ob_title_ce
Old 2 May 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3901314)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Can I ask another question. Reading around the internet as I have looking at camcorders, I've seen several people say not to bother to get a good camcorder, just upgrade your DSLR. My Canon is getting on a little (50D) but still gets the job done nicely. What if I got myself a 70D body say? Would that be an alternative way to go?
Old 2 May 2019, 19:37 (Ref:3901372)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can’t offer any specific feedback about the 70d but everyone you see recording paddock stuff for drivers professionally does it with a dslr on a gimbal nowadays.
Old 2 May 2019, 19:42 (Ref:3901375)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks for that Bella. I think it's definitely an option. I can pick one up with relatively low activations and if I flog my 50D, it may not cost me a huge amount. I might even think of an 80D?
Old 3 May 2019, 00:40 (Ref:3901431)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i’ve seen some pretty good video footage from entry level dslrs, so that’d be more than capable from a video perspective. does the 50d do video?
Old 3 May 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3901583)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I think there is a capability buried in it somewhere but I never had the guts to try messing with it to find it. I suspect it's buried for a reason....
Old 5 May 2019, 23:16 (Ref:3902087)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I have been using Panasonic camcorders for several years and find them brilliant. I have tried using digi SLRs but I am much happier using a dedicated camcorder.
I have 3 HDC TM 900 camcorders that have massive capacity with built in hard drive and SD slots.
Although they are getting on a bit they are still performing well and none of them have ever given any trouble and can be picked up for not a lot of money.
The HDC SD models are exactly the same but without the internal hard drive and all of them have complete manual control complete with a focus ring.
Obviously the smaller type camcorders will be fazed out in the near future as they don't sell well compared to SLRs and of course top of the range smartphones. Dedicated small film makers are even using SLRs and GoPros that can give amazing resolution especially for TV sized screens.
Regarding SLR bodies Ayse you know who to contact !
This is the type of films that I make on the Panasonics but loads more on my Gstree site on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Kp2WOb_A&t=108s
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 May 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3902208)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Damn, video link doesn’t seem to work for me. Shame that
Old 6 May 2019, 13:17 (Ref:3902239)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Damn, video link doesn’t seem to work for me. Shame that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Kp2WOb_A&t=122s try this !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 May 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3902301)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks Gordon!
Old 6 May 2019, 23:42 (Ref:3902380)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I do use gimbals for certain films (like this type and single pole) but for filming motorsport from trackside you need to be able to move around freely and uncluttered, especially in a crowded space to catch incidents.
Click image for larger version

Name:	video cameras.png
Views:	10
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	52992
Old 7 May 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3902418)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I confess I don't think I could lug that around Le Mans all day and night Gordon, but what does something like that set you back?
Old 7 May 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3902470)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I confess I don't think I could lug that around Le Mans all day and night Gordon, but what does something like that set you back?
The gimbal set up in the picture less the camcorder cost me about £700 as it is a top of the range one, however you can get cheaper ones that will do the same job.
The camcorders that I use can be bought between £3 -£500 but you have to make sure that you buy the right one and not a grey import that doesn't support PAL @ 25FPS for the yank market.
The camcorder is a lot lighter than a Digi SLR and will slip into a jacket pocket and that is a bonus
Old 7 May 2019, 21:28 (Ref:3902515)   #17
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally for me, i can't use any gimble/tripod when taking videos, yes they give you a stable platform but i find them restrictive and its very easy to tell which trackside videos are taken on them as the panning as a very linear motion which can seam un-natural.
Old 8 May 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3902585)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I confess I do tend to avoid tripods for this reason. I like the freedom that handholding gives you. Aside from the fact that I'm not setting out to produce something that looks professional. I'm an amateur taking amateur video largely for my own entertainment and I have reasonably steady hands!
Old 8 May 2019, 10:14 (Ref:3902591)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Personally for me, i can't use any gimble/tripod when taking videos, yes they give you a stable platform but i find them restrictive and its very easy to tell which trackside videos are taken on them as the panning as a very linear motion which can seam un-natural.
I would agree with that at motorsport events, also I only use the eyepiece viewer as I find that it makes the video more stable rather than using the flip out screen especially on full telephoto for action shots, it saves lots of battery life as well.
I will use a gimbal or tripod set up on certain types of films that I make if I find that the OIS built into the camera won't stabilize it enough for what I want.
The reason that I have 3 identical camcorders is that I can have one fitted on a gimbal and one for quick action shots, the other one is a spare in case anything should happen to either of the other two especially at a wedding !!! I flew to Morocco to video a wedding last year and I have one in Ireland to do in a couple of weeks, and you only get one chance
I sometimes use 3 cameras for filming musical groups with 2 on fixed positions and one handheld for audience reactions and close ups of instruments etc and edit them together on the timelines with the separate recorded audio track.
Old 9 May 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3902735)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oddly enough I have a 50D that doesn't do video but my old 7D does. I'm taking both to Le Mans so will give it a try on the 7D. I'm told it would be better with an external microphone so I might look one up.
Old 9 May 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3902873)   #21
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oddly enough I have a 50D that doesn't do video but my old 7D does. I'm taking both to Le Mans so will give it a try on the 7D. I'm told it would be better with an external microphone so I might look one up.
Peter, an external microphone certainly makes a difference and I
use them a lot in my videos. You can pay a lot of money for top of the range models that you probably don't need or possibly won't use often.
What you want is a "Shotgun mike" that is directional that won't pick up sound from behind and even a cheap one will be better than the one fitted to your camera.
If you do decide to buy one get a small one that will fit on the hot shoe and if possible use it in a "manual" setting rather than "auto".
I have 3 different ones and the one that I normally use on my camcorders is *this one* as it's small and light. If I am recording music with a live group I use a separate sound recorder to keep the sound the same because if you are moving about it will alter.

Name:	Screenshot (222).png
Views:	8
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	53006

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 9 May 2019 at 22:20.
Old 9 Feb 2022, 16:04 (Ref:4097952)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Very often when I am out wandering in the out backs I sometimes want to take a shot of us walking to include in my videos, I know that you can simply place the camera on the ground or a wall but very often there isn't a suitable place that is secure enough to fix it and of course you don't want to lug a tripod about
I have looked at several of the mini flexible tripods in the past and decided to get a Ulanzi MT33 that cost a massive £18! and it claims that it will hold up to 2Kg. You can fit it to almost anything that the legs will fit round and will hang upside down. It has a ball head that will swivel to 90deg also a cold shoe mount and a built in phone mount and is really well made.
The Joby ones that are made up of clip together plastic balls that hold that sort of weight are a fortune to buy in comparison and very often fall apart after a short time. This one will also go in a pocket.

Name:	Screenshot (1113).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	73555
Old 5 Apr 2022, 23:28 (Ref:4105472)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I did mean to mention regarding the picture of the flexible clamp in my last post that the camera on it is a Panasonic HC VXF990 that I have had for a couple of years. It is an updated version of the old 900 series but is 4k as well as 1080p HD. it's certainly a good bit of kit and even has wifi so you can stream live (if that floats yer boat)
At the end of last year I also bought a Sony FDR AX53, another 4k camcorder but has a built in gimbal on the lens. Although I use it a lot for various videos that I make I tend to go for the Panasonic if I am just wandering about as the Sony is bigger and considerably heavier, but takes amazing stabilized footage especially when walking and filming at the same time.
I still have 3 of the old Panasonic 900 series that I will still use for multi cam shots as they still work extremely well and aren't worth a lot of money so not worth selling.
Regarding 4k, I often use it for filming groups mainly because you can crop parts in editing without losing quality in the finished article when rendered back to 1080p HD
4K takes up a lot of space and computing power compared to HD using the same frame rate and most of the finished videos are viewed on small phone and tablet screens these days so making and uploading them isn't worth wasting the time and space IMHO.