Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2022, 16:44 (Ref:4127882)   #51
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lopping off a couple of races from the schedule could be a nice bit of money saving...
Old 30 Sep 2022, 03:52 (Ref:4127902)   #52
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Lopping off a couple of races from the schedule could be a nice bit of money saving...
But holding races is what makes them money.Sanctioning fees,tv contracts etc
Guaranteed that 24 number is somewhere in every new tv contract they sign and they will lose money for every race below 24 that they don’t hold.
I think 24 is pushing it for the team members in particular but there’s no way they can go back to 20 even if they wanted to.
Old 30 Sep 2022, 08:45 (Ref:4127921)   #53
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The fact of the matter is F1 has become too big for it's boots and as a result we've ended up with way too many races. I'm sure if they could keep costs under control, then they could do with less races
Old 30 Sep 2022, 09:06 (Ref:4127926)   #54
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
But holding races is what makes them money.Sanctioning fees,tv contracts etc
Guaranteed that 24 number is somewhere in every new tv contract they sign and they will lose money for every race below 24 that they don’t hold.
I think 24 is pushing it for the team members in particular but there’s no way they can go back to 20 even if they wanted to.
Spot on.

Do you want more races? No.

Do you want less money? Errr....

(A bit like:

Do you want more teams? Sure, no problem.

Do you want less money? Errr....)
Old 1 Oct 2022, 02:59 (Ref:4128011)   #55
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Always surprising to see fans saying they want "less" of what they love.
Old 1 Oct 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4128032)   #56
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Not heard of the saying 'Less is more'?
Old 1 Oct 2022, 10:31 (Ref:4128050)   #57
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Not heard of the saying 'Less is more'?
Only by people who have less.
Old 1 Oct 2022, 11:27 (Ref:4128053)   #58
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Perhaps quality over quality?
Why on earth should Baku have a GP and not France?
Old 1 Oct 2022, 14:36 (Ref:4128088)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
It's the concept of "Too Much". Too much is bad for you. https://youtu.be/XewVicFzRxw

I'm all for more of what I love. Bashing out a load more Grand Prix doesn't achieve this. It actually reduces my love for it.

But it is obvious why they do it. Obviously it generates more income, even if revenue per unit drops the volume will outweigh this. Obvs.

Doesn't mean I'm not turned off by this.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 04:40 (Ref:4128500)   #60
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK so whats the driver market gossip after this weekends events?

Gasly
Danny Ric
Mick Shu
Old 3 Oct 2022, 05:14 (Ref:4128501)   #61
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
OK so whats the driver market gossip after this weekends events?

Gasly
Danny Ric
Mick Shu
Gasly Alpine
Danny Ric Reserve but Gunther seemed to suggest the ball is in Danny's court for a Haas drive
Mick Shu seems to be between him and Hulk for the second Haas assuming DR doesn't want it
Old 3 Oct 2022, 06:40 (Ref:4128503)   #62
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
When teams have 500+ research and development personnel, to say they cannot afford an extra 60-80 personnel for a second set of race mechanics, race engineers & logistics is farcical.

There is no reason why the race crews cannot be divided into two sets with 12 race meetings each.

One worries merely that the F1 teams would rather, selfishly, spend their budget cap on R&D for go fast bits than two sets of race crews... Almost as if car performance is their number one priority [ruddy garagiste spirit showing up those inefficient contintental teams ].

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
What do you perceive as waste that can be cut ?
There's 6 days of pre-season testing that are not strictly necessary. Those could be cut, saving two race meetings worth of effort. Go straight to the first race with untested vehicles, much more uncertainty and excitement.

Banning testing encourages teams to invest in advanced dynos (e.g., $40m AVL dynos) and car-in-the-loop simulators, so the use of dynos and simulators could also be banned.

The majority of cost, after all, goes to non-racing activities like research and development. Improving and making continual prototypes being far more expensive than mass production. Just racing cars themselves, and using the same parts for years and years particularly, however can be quite cost controlled (refer Indycar or F2). There were, if I am not mistaken, huge economies of scale with the Cosworth DFV being both mass-produced and used for nearly 15 seasons of F1 racing. So such economies of scale would be the goal.

Teams also have huge motorhomes which are unnecessary and could be banned.

Pitstops could be reduced to 6 personnel like F2 instead of 20 personnel. Easy saving there.

Tyre blankets will be banned in 2024, but that could be brought forward.

Gearbox and engine changes during the race meeting could be banned, as now they are now not just building the car on Thursday with an older engine and older gearbox, but then rebuilding it again on Friday night with the different race engine and race gearbox. This is unnecessary.

Lots of things where saving could be done.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 3 Oct 2022 at 07:01.
Old 17 Nov 2022, 06:53 (Ref:4134004)   #63
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haas confirm ‘solid, reliable racer’ Nico Hulkenberg for 2023

Less than half an hour after announcing Mick Schumacher’s exit, Guenther Steiner named Nico Hulkenberg as the German’s replacement for the 2023 season.
Old 17 Nov 2022, 08:00 (Ref:4134013)   #64
S griffin
Veteran

The Hulk's back! Now they have two experienced drivers next year, so it should be good. Feel a bit sorry for Mick though, but that's the business of motorsport
Old 17 Nov 2022, 09:22 (Ref:4134018)   #65
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Mick has had 2 seasons, and has occasionally shone but not often enough and occasionally messed up, which is understandable for a rookie. 1st season must have been difficult in what was by far the worst car, with no experienced teammate to help.

I dont think that this is the last we will see of him in F1. If I were Mercedes, I would employ him as reserve driver ahead of Ricciardo.

Hulkenburg has always been a good driver. Has 3 years of only sporadic F1 appearances done him any harm, or will he slot straight back in I wonder?
Old 17 Nov 2022, 10:18 (Ref:4134021)   #66
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Hulkenberg and Magnussen

That means that every race we can relive the "suck my balls" comment
Old 17 Nov 2022, 11:46 (Ref:4134024)   #67
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol

I suspect he is not coming back as a pay driver either which is awesome and while my personal preference, would prefer to see seats at this end of the grid going to new and/or younger drivers, i also don’t want that seat going to a rich kid with minimal talent.

Not a knock on Mick as I thought he always put in maximum effort always and still have hope that his determination will see him back…but rightfully so this is a tough sport.
Old 17 Nov 2022, 16:17 (Ref:4134046)   #68
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Hulkenberg and Magnussen

That means that every race we can relive the "suck my balls" comment
We can't ask for anything more of 2023 lol
Old 17 Nov 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4134057)   #69
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clearly Haas has brought Hulkenberg back to allow him to extend one of his most famous records out of the reach of others. That is his 179 race starts without ever standing on the podium.

I think I posted somewhere here on this forum that I don't expect we will see Hulkenberg back in F1 as a regular driver. I honestly am shocked by Haas doing this. Not that Mick is the right answer, but I do think Hulkenberg is the wrong answer. But for Haas' sake, I really hope I am wrong.

Richard
Old 17 Nov 2022, 19:52 (Ref:4134064)   #70
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
£2 million a season to race in FIA F2, and you get passed over for a safe pair of hands.

I like Hulkenberg, but I think this is wrong. The pathway to F1 is blocked by people who've already had a go and been found wanting. Hopefully he'll prove us all wrong, Haas will build a Brawn 001-alike and Hulk will win the WDC.

There again...
Old 18 Nov 2022, 00:10 (Ref:4134082)   #71
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I find this to be a totally bizarre backwards step by Haas. Schumacher Jr has been ok imo - just as good as any other rookie that has come into the sport in the last 2-3 seasons. Sure, he hasn't set the world alight but nor have Zhou Guanyu, Tsunoda etc.
I actually think Haas have let Mick down this season, particularly in the mid-late part where they seemed to be making strategic mistakes at every race where Mick was ahead of Magnussen. He'd easily done enough to get himself another season and Magnussen is no slouch either.
However, it was pretty obvious that Mick was going as soon as Steiner started making toxic comments at the mid-point of the season, and frankly I think Mick is better not being in that environment. Sadly, Haas are destined the fail and picking Hulkenberg just demonstrates their lack of ambition or long term plan.

I can understand them wanting to replace Mick, but why not try out another young talent instead? To me it makes no sense at all to bring Hulkenberg in, he's been proven to be solidly average and is likely slower than Mick on pure race pace. This just feels like a massive missed opportunity to A) Develop Mick or B) Bring in another young driver.
Magnussen & Hulkenberg is just completely uninspired and is really not much different at all to Magnussen & Grosjean - who lets not forget both got replaced because they were neither good nor rich enough.
Old 18 Nov 2022, 00:47 (Ref:4134085)   #72
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
I find this to be a totally bizarre backwards step by Haas. Schumacher Jr has been ok imo - just as good as any other rookie that has come into the sport in the last 2-3 seasons. Sure, he hasn't set the world alight but nor have Zhou Guanyu, Tsunoda etc.
I actually think Haas have let Mick down this season, particularly in the mid-late part where they seemed to be making strategic mistakes at every race where Mick was ahead of Magnussen. He'd easily done enough to get himself another season and Magnussen is no slouch either.
However, it was pretty obvious that Mick was going as soon as Steiner started making toxic comments at the mid-point of the season, and frankly I think Mick is better not being in that environment. Sadly, Haas are destined the fail and picking Hulkenberg just demonstrates their lack of ambition or long term plan.

I can understand them wanting to replace Mick, but why not try out another young talent instead? To me it makes no sense at all to bring Hulkenberg in, he's been proven to be solidly average and is likely slower than Mick on pure race pace. This just feels like a massive missed opportunity to A) Develop Mick or B) Bring in another young driver.
Magnussen & Hulkenberg is just completely uninspired and is really not much different at all to Magnussen & Grosjean - who lets not forget both got replaced because they were neither good nor rich enough.
I think there thinking is reverting back to what they were doing when they had Magnussen and Grosjean. Which was to have two relatively experienced (but not top or promising new) drivers in which they would not need to "hold hands" or do any other "driver development" tasks. It seems to be a relatively short term focus issue. Maybe do like before which is focus on the car (development, feedback, etc. and take the driver out of the question.... Hulkenberg is a very known quantity). And they want MORE than just what Magnussen gives them in this area.

Richard
Old 18 Nov 2022, 01:18 (Ref:4134086)   #73
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Mick did make some very very costly (points and dollars) mistakes though.
Old 18 Nov 2022, 06:15 (Ref:4134092)   #74
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Mick did make some very very costly (points and dollars) mistakes though.
I believe damage costs were a substantial amount, and thus issue. Especially as Haas get invoiced by Dallara direct.
Old 18 Nov 2022, 06:47 (Ref:4134093)   #75
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Especially as Haas get invoiced by Dallara direct.
Out of curiosity - why would getting invoiced direct (as opposed to any other arrangement between supplier and customer) make any difference?