Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 16 Sep 2003, 11:50 (Ref:720587)   #1
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BAR 2004 drive Fame Academy style??

Apparently BAR are chucking around the idea of selecting the 2004 BAR drive alongside Button in the style of Fame Academy.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/17718

I honestly don't want to say.. That Louise is a bad influence I tell ya!

Seriously though, what the hell are they thinking? Do we really want to see 'Racing Rivals' in F1?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 11:58 (Ref:720601)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, there goes the last chunk of sanity in F1 straight down the toilet....

What's next?
Dumping 10 F1 drivers in a house with camera's?
Waiting to see how long it takes for a fight? (my money's on either Montoya Vs. Schumi Lite or TGF & Jos Vs. Villeneuve in a handicap match)

Good grief...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 16 Sep 2003 at 12:00.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 12:09 (Ref:720614)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If Fame Academy is anything to go by (and I haven't watched much), all they need to do is to select the one bloke who can't drive to save his life. After all, they keep selecting a bloke on Fame Academy who can't sing.....
Old 16 Sep 2003, 12:11 (Ref:720619)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 12:17 (Ref:720626)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Who here would not watch it?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 12:32 (Ref:720643)   #6
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will the audience get to vote who gets the seat?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 12:38 (Ref:720646)   #7
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd definately watch it. its not like it would be that 'be a racing driver' pap they had on Five. if it was a genuine shootout between sato, davidson, and any other worthy candidates BAR fancy then that would be so cool.

when else do you get a chance to see all that behind the scenes interesting stuff otherwise? I always hate the fact that the only people who get to see McLaren Autosport YDOTY are the competitors and judges.

The thing that attracts the majority of TV viewers to most sports are the personalities involved and quite frankly, thanks to the corporate sterilization of F1 most contemporary F1 drivers are about as interesting and engaging as an official team press release. This could get a whole new audience involved.

The only downside would be if they did do some sort of public voting thing (which I just cannot believe would happen). where, like you suggest, the bloke with the best haircut wins rather than the most talented.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 14:15 (Ref:720768)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I'll second that!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Sep 2003, 14:19 (Ref:720776)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Who would your money be on then sonic?

I can't believe that Villeneuve would be interested in saving his career in this way.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 14:19 (Ref:720779)   #10
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd watch it, if they allowed them to race together in the same cars to really decide it, 5 races, who ever wins ther most gets the seat! extra points for pole and fastest laps, oh dear, this is starting to sound like touring cars.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 14:22 (Ref:720783)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, the story would go out that JV wont lower himself to such a competition, the reality being he does'nt want the humilation of being cleaned up by (in his opinion) lessor drivers.

Have a televised test session that evaluates these guys? Sure, great idea. Have the average idiot vote? No thanks
Old 16 Sep 2003, 14:29 (Ref:720799)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
i'd watch it, if they allowed them to race together in the same cars to really decide it, 5 races, who ever wins ther most gets the seat! extra points for pole and fastest laps, oh dear, this is starting to sound like touring cars.
And there is part of the problem.

I dont think the average member of the public really understands a F1 drivers job. The scenario above would'nt really prove anything.

Hand them an ill balanced car, send them out and see what times they can do and what feedback they give. Then let them set some times with the new set-up. Do they same for a qual and race setup.

Other things need to be assessed such as PR skills. Are they technically proficient? Do they fit in with the current team? Do they understand the car and the set-up?

Just letting them do a couple of laps would result in luck for one and cries of "my car was'nt the same" from the losers.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 14:49 (Ref:720824)   #13
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Wrex and sonic - what's wrong with holding a shoot-out for the BAR drive? Remember Williams did the same thing with Button and Junquiera at the start of 2000. This would be the same only with more drivers (presumably JV, Ant, Sato, Wirdheim etc.) vying for the seat and the added pazazz of it being televised. Of course they won't let the public vote, but it would be interesting to see behind the scenes stuff and would give BAT and the sponsors off-season airtime (Bahrain allowing Lucky Strike ads of course).
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:00 (Ref:720838)   #14
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
huh? :confused: A vote to decide who drives alongside Jenson? This is stoooopid

Well.... um.... ..........................

...so, would it just be between JV & Taku? Or can we vote for any driver? Vote Katayama!

aaaahh.... the return of the Kat
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:720858)   #15
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Agree with Wrex and sonic - what's wrong with holding a shoot-out for the BAR drive? Remember Williams did the same thing with Button and Junquiera at the start of 2000. This would be the same only with more drivers (presumably JV, Ant, Sato, Wirdheim etc.) vying for the seat and the added pazazz of it being televised. Of course they won't let the public vote, but it would be interesting to see behind the scenes stuff and would give BAT and the sponsors off-season airtime (Bahrain allowing Lucky Strike ads of course).
I agree there's nothing wrong with a shoot-out and also BAR/BAT would get good airtime. But if they televise it Fame Academy style it will make me feel like they're degrading the sport, but that's just my opinion.

The thing is how many drivers would actually go for it? I mean they've spent years and a lot of money even getting to the stage where they can be in the running for an F1 drive. After all that would they want to put their reputations on the line for a TV show?

There would supposedly be 8 drivers in the running. What would happen to the reputation of the guy voted off first? Granted people in the sport would probably know their true talent, but to the casual viewer (to which this would be part of the target audience I imagine) they'd be seen as 'Look at him! He's rubbish!'.

Also, would there be contract parity for whoever won? If so, I can't see BAR offering a £14m deal so that would put JV out. Mind you I don't think he'd agree to the whole thing anyway.

I agree that they wouldn't let the public vote obviously, but who would? I don't see how there could be a truly un-biasd decision due to the large amount politics that flies around in F1 these days.

Sorry about the long post guys, but I was just on a roll with my thoughts.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:40 (Ref:720875)   #16
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see the logic in this , other than BAR getting publicity. By all accounts JV should wipe the floor with these newcomers with his F1 experience. However, I cannot see JV lowering himself to this anyway - and BAR know it. Remember what JV allegedly said at the at the beginning of the Year about Button '... if he beats me I will give up F1...'. I know the season is not over yet - not much left JV.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:48 (Ref:720880)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"The pinnacle of worldwide formula racing - a sport watched by millions worldwide."

Last edited by kdr; 16 Sep 2003 at 15:50.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 16:16 (Ref:720909)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not as bad as some people want to make it sound. We sometimes suffer from "chronic complaint syndrome". First of all every team in F1 does this. They all test the drivers on the different aspects necessary to be a driver for their team. BAR is attempting to get more public recognition and win over possible fans. Its a little corny but IMO its a good idea.

We the public would see exactly how fast some of our favorite drivers are when compared to newbies and test drivers. We would see their personalities and how they actually deal with the press, the teams and potential team mates. Every day there is a thread here justifying our likes and dislikes for certain drivers, now, we will have a public forum.

I think its a great idea. If F1 wants to keep its fans and gain more fans it has to try in more ways to involve them. I bet if it were Ferrari doing it then it would be the 2nd coming of Christ. Since its a "struggling" team then heaven forbid they try to bring more exposure to the sport, the drivers, and to themselves.

After all guys, we have to admit tthat F1 is more about the show, the drama and the stories behind the scenes. The racing is ok but turely not the best. IMO one lap in the Speed touring car series or MotoGP is far more exciting than an entire F1 race.

Last edited by neilap; 16 Sep 2003 at 16:19.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 16:28 (Ref:720923)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't know about touring cars but MotoGP sure is alot more exciting than F1 these days.

Actually for quite some time now.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 16:33 (Ref:720928)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh for god sakes!!! fame academy **** in F1 No way
Old 16 Sep 2003, 16:54 (Ref:720949)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Have a televised test session that evaluates these guys? Sure, great idea.
I agree with this. Good idea to get all of them together and do a monster test to help them decide.

Also why not put it on TV. As long as it isn't tacky - which I fear it will be.
Quote:
Have the average idiot vote? No thanks
Yes this would be a bad idea. I'd hate to see it decided on a haircut, as sonic says! I can't beleive that BAR would let us decide anyway.

Last edited by Adam43; 16 Sep 2003 at 16:55.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 17:20 (Ref:720977)   #22
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
get button involved as well...so louise can wear a "jensons girlfriend" badge.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 17:26 (Ref:720986)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

Surely Button would be used as a judge, or a standard?
Old 17 Sep 2003, 02:12 (Ref:721380)   #24
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they want a shootout to decide who gets the drive then i don't see why not but the whole idea of televising it is unbelievable, just have a private session like other teams do.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 03:15 (Ref:721408)   #25
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
If they want a shootout to decide who gets the drive then i don't see why not but the whole idea of televising it is unbelievable, just have a private session like other teams do.
We know why they are televising it, publicity. We dont see that show in the US so I dont know how tacky it is. Hopefully as was stated its more about driver performance under pressure than stupid haircuts.

BAR wants to be seen. Remember what DR said he wants the team to stand out in more ways than one. We have to admit this years car is much better than the results have shown. Tires... whatever.

I say give it a chance, if its corny then I will jump on the complaint band waggon. If not then I bet other teams will wish they thought of it.

Remember, F1 is about recognition. Its not some exculsive club that only the fortunate can observe. F1 needs fans. If BAR can bring it into the households of millions on a level that most can understand and in some ways relate to, how can that be bad?
Closed Thread