Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Oct 2018, 03:47 (Ref:3858064)   #601
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Actually your opinion was accepted by most here until YOU began to dismiss everyone else and argue you were informed and a team insider.
Not on that particular matter. The matters you're referring to with that were some insider info that didn't sit well with me and most of the less pleasant comments I made were not dismissing other people's arguments as much as venting at how annoying the things were.

Quote:
Then when you were called on your bs you began attacking everyone else and rudely dismissing their questions of you regarding how you could be so assured of your claims.
I behaved directly in proportion to the way others behaved.

Quote:
After that the dismissive response became the norm
Only to people who insisted on continuing to take issue with any opinion I put forth.

Quote:
makes statements that are blatantly incorrect reading of the previous poster
While I have misunderstood some posts on occasion, this is something nobody is innocent of, yourself included.

Quote:
and frankly were often personal attacks.
I have never made a personal attack that was not in response to one directed at me.

Quote:
No one started out with anything even close to rudeness until it warms brought forth by you.
And...? The comment I made was a joke about how I got treated when I made a similar point. Why you decided to take offense to such, I don't know, but I try to leave the past alone and not elt it bother me. Hence why I cracked a joke about it to begin with.

Quote:
There are many people I don't agree with and we have discussions and actually trade questions
And I am one of those users you've had peaceful discussions with quite often.

Quote:
There's never the outright I'm right, you're wrong exchanges as became the norm with a few users, yourself included.
If you think that's the norm for me, then you haven't been paying attention to the majority of my posts. The overwhelming majority of my posts on here are perfectly civil and polite, including the majority of the debates I have. You are, whether by choice or simply losing track due to the massive number of users here, incorrect about me on this matter. We all get heated now and then, but that does not make .

Quote:
But I will return to the ignore function as obviously discussion is just not worth the effort, this is supposed to be fun and entertainment not painful.
Well, it's not my fault you decided to take offense to joke/snarky comment about something that's happened in the past, but you do what you feel is needed. I'll keep having the nice polite discussions that the majority of my posts contain.

That said, I've PMed you a little something to consider should you not have already blocked me - there really isn't any point dragging this around publicly any further.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 21 Oct 2018 at 03:57.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 04:44 (Ref:3858072)   #602
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For once, let it go. Please. It's so tiresome.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3858116)   #603
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
That's how I understand things - Dragonspeed's a BIG maybe, but sofar as I know everything else is correct. I'm thinking we'll see a one-car ESM Ligier if we don't hear good news about DPi funding by the end of November, but I don't dare predict anything with where they'll end up. If they can't put together funds for a DPi program, LMP2 is the logical place, though - they have the cars and can turn them back to LMP2 Ligiers easily enough, and there will be no worries about the manufacturer fee.
ESM lost tequila patron sponsorship, it's just about a lack of budget issue.
Highcroft racing lost same sponsor at the end of 2010 and their sportscars programs basically ended (they ran 2011 sebring and 2012 LM with delta wing just because backed by michelin and nissan).
Beyond that, don't think ESM is interested to run a pro-am program in lmp2 anyway.

Such a suicide move the P class split, considering that an oreca lmp2 was 3 points away from being champion.
If HPD will open for customers, DPi class will turn in some kind of closed wheel indy
Old 21 Oct 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3858127)   #604
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
ESM lost tequila patron sponsorship, it's just about a lack of budget issue.
Highcroft racing lost same sponsor at the end of 2010 and their sportscars programs basically ended (they ran 2011 sebring and 2012 LM with delta wing just because backed by michelin and nissan).
ESM has something that Highcroft did not: Ed Brown. He may not actually race for the team anymore, but he's still part of it, and he is businessman. And businessmen have contacts. Between that and numerous other factors(specifically, a more stable sportscar racing scene than Highcroft raced in) have a higher chance of finding a sufficient sponsor than Highcroft did.

Quote:
Beyond that, don't think ESM is interested to run a pro-am program in lmp2 anyway.
I think they're interested in running whatever they can manage. Don't forget they've run at least one car pro-am for most of their existence(Ed Brown definitely qualifies as an Am driver), and with the sponsor troubles they may need a driver that brings money to keep going at all.

If they can't get a sponsor, their options(short of shutting down) are:
1) Convert their Nissan DPis to Ligier LMP2s
2) Run a GT3 car from a currently active GTD participant
3) Run a GT3 car from a not currently active GTD participant

The only thing I think can be said for sure is that Option 3 is not happening. If they can't get money to keep the DPi program going, they're not getting enough to bring a new manufacturer to GTD - the manufacturer fee is the same either way.

Option 1 is likely to be the cheapest. While an Audi R8 GT3(just for an example) would run them close to $460,000 and LMP2s are cost capped at just shy of $576,000, the team already has the tub, suspension, and floor of a Ligier JSP217 - they've only got to purchase new engines and bodywork, so figure on it only costing them 1/2-2/3 of the full price. But that depends on whether or not they actually OWN the cars or if Ligier just gave them to the team as part of the program(Ligier was involved with the aero development, after all).

I feel fairly confident we'll see ESM on the grid next year. Whether in LMP2 or GTD, or with one car or two I dare not predict.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3858137)   #605
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly don't know, I'm not so trustful to see them again.
Anyway, I have a little doubt. Is lexus gt3 powered by a 5L or a 5.4L ?
Old 21 Oct 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3858206)   #606
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
For once, let it go. Please. It's so tiresome.
AGREE!
Old 21 Oct 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3858259)   #607
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Honestly don't know, I'm not so trustful to see them again.

Oh, I don't blindly trust that it will happen either, but I find it more likely we'll see them in some form or another than we are to see them go away.

Quote:
Is lexus gt3 powered by a 5L or a 5.4L ?

According to every resource I can find, 5.4.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3858284)   #608
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
ESM ...

Are you sure they actually OWN the cars? As far as I heard, the whole Nissan programme is 'owned' by Onroak, not ESM. ESM (or Ed Brown or Tequila Patron) funds it, but they don't own anything. Onroak could take the Nissan programme to another team if they wished to.
At least .. that's how I remember hearing it.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 02:41 (Ref:3858311)   #609
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Are you sure they actually OWN the cars?.
No I am not. Thus why I stated...

Quote:
But that depends on whether or not they actually OWN the cars or if Ligier just gave them to the team as part of the program(Ligier was involved with the aero development, after all).
...In the very same post you quoted from. I have heard conflicting information on this, so I opted not to make a declaratory statement on it.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 11:53 (Ref:3858401)   #610
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Are you sure they actually OWN the cars? As far as I heard, the whole Nissan programme is 'owned' by Onroak, not ESM. ESM (or Ed Brown or Tequila Patron) funds it, but they don't own anything. Onroak could take the Nissan programme to another team if they wished to.
At least .. that's how I remember hearing it.
Yeah, that's true.
Onroak is the true owner, infact car is officially named: Nissan Onroak DPi, and as far I knew, onroak had nismo exclusive for 2017 and 2018 season.

There are just few teams in the world using ligier, I guess the only likely ligier team that could afford a nismo dpi project is united autosport. Zack Brown revealed they were looking for a dpi progam some time ago.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 11:56 (Ref:3858403)   #611
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Oh, I don't blindly trust that it will happen either, but I find it more likely we'll see them in some form or another than we are to see them go away.

According to every resource I can find, 5.4.
yeah but some other sources report 5L.
Actually one of the worst and unreliable source (GT sport car list) is the one that reveals a lot of specs details
Old 22 Oct 2018, 13:09 (Ref:3858419)   #612
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
ESM has something that Highcroft did not: Ed Brown. He may not actually race for the team anymore, but he's still part of it, and he is businessman. And businessmen have contacts. Between that and numerous other factors(specifically, a more stable sportscar racing scene than Highcroft raced in) have a higher chance of finding a sufficient sponsor than Highcroft did.

I think they're interested in running whatever they can manage. Don't forget they've run at least one car pro-am for most of their existence(Ed Brown definitely qualifies as an Am driver), and with the sponsor troubles they may need a driver that brings money to keep going at all.

The only thing I think can be said for sure is that Option 3 is not happening. If they can't get money to keep the DPi program going, they're not getting enough to bring a new manufacturer to GTD - the manufacturer fee is the same either way.

Option 1 is likely to be the cheapest. While an Audi R8 GT3(just for an example) would run them close to $460,000 and LMP2s are cost capped at just shy of $576,000, the team already has the tub, suspension, and floor of a Ligier JSP217 - they've only got to purchase new engines and bodywork, so figure on it only costing them 1/2-2/3 of the full price. But that depends on whether or not they actually OWN the cars or if Ligier just gave them to the team as part of the program(Ligier was involved with the aero development, after all).

I feel fairly confident we'll see ESM on the grid next year. Whether in LMP2 or GTD, or with one car or two I dare not predict.
Would love to see ESM in GTD. Still have always seen them as a GT team first who just happened to decide to play in prototypes for a while.

Their decision to change from GTLM to LMP2 before ALMS 2013 was a very late decision. I think just 2 months before Sebring that year.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3858452)   #613
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Michelin Green Challenge may be coming back! Finally, a reason for me to pay attention to IMSA again.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/m...n-initiatives/

I'll never forget how corvette racing took the title in 2012 with a 39.256 score in the final round. breathtaking stuff.
Let me p1ss against a tree first before you hug it!
Old 23 Oct 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3858645)   #614
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Am I reading this right? According to the DIS camping page for the Rolex, EVERY camping option (with the exception of west park tent camping) has been sold out.

With 3 1/2 months to go before the race, Daytona may have to consider opening up more RV/camping lots...if there are even any left to open!

Nontheless, this is great to see!

https://www.daytonainternationalspee...O-Camping.aspx
Old 23 Oct 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3858673)   #615
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Dpi is going to be way too populated by Cadillac. Acura and Mazda need to start selling their cars. The entries aren't the problem. It's the fact that they're going to outnumber the combined competition and that will help the car out significantly especially with data on the new tires.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3858697)   #616
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Am I reading this right? According to the DIS camping page for the Rolex, EVERY camping option (with the exception of west park tent camping) has been sold out.

With 3 1/2 months to go before the race, Daytona may have to consider opening up more RV/camping lots...if there are even any left to open!

I think they have been selling out the camping quickly the last couple years, and possibly even longer. But it does seem like a track that large should have plenty of space to stack RVs and campers for days.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 21:28 (Ref:3858730)   #617
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:

Complete sellout of infield attendance options has been a pretty regular occurrence since the merger, though I think it's going faster than in the past few years.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3859978)   #618
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Flying Lizards closing in on an IMSA sprint cup return, potentially with a pair of new mclarens.

Where do we sign the petition to make this happen?
Old 30 Oct 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3860000)   #619
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Flying Lizards closing in on an IMSA sprint cup return, potentially with a pair of new mclarens.

Where do we sign the petition to make this happen?
For about 30 minutes after I first heard about it during the 2019 press conference at Road America I was wondering what the heck is this sprint cup idea its wierd and crazy.

Then I realized between the cost savings potential, the condensed schedule being from May to September, also with the fact that you have until May of 2019 to finalize a program. That should make us realize that this is a good concept. The icing on the cake was a manufacturer fee discount for doing sprint cup only. Enter a make like McLaren now who otherwise don't want to put down the million dollar full season fee. Wonder why its not Bentley. Isn't Flying Lizard and KPax the same operation now?
Old 30 Oct 2018, 18:30 (Ref:3860001)   #620
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
So you want less cautions but want to invite LMP3?

-mike
Could still work though in order to get an all GT race. CTMP seems like a good place to experiment with it. Have split GT and Proto races there. Change it up even further from Watkins Glen being the week before. Could work now with GTD sprint cup grid size looking good. The GT competitors deferentially like it when there are no protos out there as well. Still can be done if IMSA officials read in on this!
Old 30 Oct 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3860012)   #621
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
For about 30 minutes after I first heard about it during the 2019 press conference at Road America I was wondering what the heck is this sprint cup idea its wierd and crazy.

Then I realized between the cost savings potential, the condensed schedule being from May to September, also with the fact that you have until May of 2019 to finalize a program. That should make us realize that this is a good concept. The icing on the cake was a manufacturer fee discount for doing sprint cup only. Enter a make like McLaren now who otherwise don't want to put down the million dollar full season fee. Wonder why its not Bentley. Isn't Flying Lizard and KPax the same operation now?
I think Flying Lizard were the technical support and operations guys at the track for K-Pax alongside their own Flying Lizard operations. Although our resident racer Mr Hedlund would know better having driven for them recently I believe.

And it sounds like IMSA is aware an more importantly willing to admit that the "ransom" required to come play might not be a great idea and is turning off manufacturers as they are considering a reduced marketing fee for new teams as a kind of intro offer. Now will they offer a discount for those only doing the enduros, or sprint only vs "regular" full season?
Old 31 Oct 2018, 13:19 (Ref:3860120)   #622
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
It's not really a discount on the fee, manufacturers paying a partial fee are only allowed to participate in the (shorter) sprint season. If a team wants to add an enduro later on (Petit comes to mind), that manufacturer will be required to cough up the additional fee or the team is forced to switch cars for an one-off. I'm guessing IMSA's hope is the new sprint season manufacturers will see the added value to participate in their series and wanna join the full time circus in 2020.

Either way, it would be great to see a McLaren (or two) on the GTD grid next year (and Bentley for that matter)!
Old 31 Oct 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3860133)   #623
Coach Ep
Veteran

On that note (and leaving the entire discussion about the fee being there in the first place out of the equation): it would be good if IMSA would make manufacturers that want to participate in the enduros, subject to a similar “appropriated pro-rated [marketing] commitment”.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3860173)   #624
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I do know that all of the infield parking and tent camping was sold out less than half an hour after ticket renewals were opened up, so way before tickets to the general public even went on sale. Rolex 24 infield camping is like turn 1 tickets at the Indy 500 now. If you don't already have them you'll have to hope to inherit them one day.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 00:27 (Ref:3860238)   #625
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Ok that Sebring Encore entry list was complete dud. My interest in this race was 100% dependent on the quality and quantity of the GTD class. Turns out there is ZERO of them. Buh Bye. Don't care about this one anymore.