Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Dec 2018, 22:17 (Ref:3872897)   #951
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
as far I can remember, acura got only some fuel tank cut, nothing special also because actually fuel tank cut/add are set to give everyone the same stint lenght.
By now acura got some extra boost.
Anyway agree, the one who better and sooner will adapt to michelin will get the best and short term benefits.

Any news about what kind of compound michelin will supply?
all continental tires compounds were hard as stone
Imsa specific medium and hard compounds depending on the race. Teams don't get to choose their compound, it is assigned by Michelin.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...e-allocations/
Old 29 Dec 2018, 23:00 (Ref:3873045)   #952
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Penske also used to have amazing professionalism and organization, which I think has been slipping a little as the his clock ticks past 80. I think if the Captain had been more firmly at the helm, we'd have seen Acura atop the podium already
Back in the day Penske could have Paul Tracy testing 40 hours a week during the off season and replace every single part in the car. These days absolutely everything is so limited that no matter how prepared you'd like to be you just can't rock up and run flawlessly with a new car because you don't have the mileage to cover everything or the allowance to change half the things that are problems.
Old 30 Dec 2018, 01:12 (Ref:3873062)   #953
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezPutz View Post
You can't be real person. There is no way anyone would waste this much time year after years on multiple forums posting the same tired comments.

Don't forget your box of Kleenex for Daytona
Just this one moderators, I promise.

Informative.
You're correct, I'm staunch in my convictions and unwavering. 'Was always taught they were good qualities to have....'taught wrong, eh?
You're mistaken about one thing though....I'm as real as you can get. (As in you can count on my integrity)
Maybe you should not read my posts. 'Won't hurt my feelings...
Thank you very much.

Quote:
From that, one would expect Core not to win then?
No clue; 'know nothing about CORE. 'Was only commenting about Penske and his/their capability.

Quote:
I recall, dimly the AMC javelin. You really reached deep to pull out that one.
'Didn't have to dig too deep at all...my "AM Javelin Racing Team" windbreaker from back in the day was the icebreaker that got me the coupla' minutes with Roger. (Red and blue stripes a li'l faded.. The white? 'Gettin' kinda yellowish...)

Edit: 'Sent you a PM with a find, Mae.
Quote:
I don't think Acura got bad BoP last year ... not sure what it could get this year ... as I recall, rear tire wear, cowboy driving, and niggling errors hurt them in 2018.
You hadda' open the door, didn't you? 'Sorry DzPtz...one more time. All BoPing is bad. I don't wanna watch a crapshoot, can go to a reservation for that. (You know I hadda...)
Quote:
However .... Here is something I had not taken into account ... Everyone will be on real tires for a change---tires which have grip and fall off, instead of performing poorly all stint long. How much tire testing each team has done will play a role perhaps ... some of the big guns might lose a little edge ... as I recall WTR always ran different suspension settings than AXR, and who knows how much information Cadillac and Michelin are sharing?
Sheety tires, good tires...as long as they're the same for all, everybody's got the same problem w/setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Back in the day Penske could have Paul Tracy testing 40 hours a week during the off season and replace every single part in the car. These days absolutely everything is so limited that no matter how prepared you'd like to be you just can't rock up and run flawlessly with a new car because you don't have the mileage to cover everything or the allowance to change half the things that are problems.

Last edited by jimclark; 30 Dec 2018 at 01:22.

jimclark
Old 30 Dec 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3873192)   #954
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the history, Mr. jimclark.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3873613)   #955
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentrh View Post
I initially thought splitting DPI an LMP2 was a good idea but with only 4 entered in LMP2 I now have second thoughts.
Well might as well put it out of its misery for 2019. If the speculation about too large grid sizes being an issue for Mid Ohio and Laguna Seca is indeed the case. Then I think removing the 2 cars for LMP2 will be the most likely option. Good idea I think and no worries. They won't be missed.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3873621)   #956
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
According to IMSA's 2018 Supplementary Regulations for the two events Mid-Ohio would hold 43 cars: https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...m-o_042518.pdf

and Laguna Seca 40:
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...s_082918_0.pdf

It might get really tight for Laguna (depending on the number of GTD sprint entrants) but with it being later in the year the prospect for a small number of full season/sprint cup entries to drop out is certainly not unrealistic and the issue would solve itself naturally. No need to send anybody home yet (and splitting the field into 2 races is of course also an option).

Edit:
The max. entry numbers for the other tracks (excluding LB, Detroit, Lime Rock and VIR for obvious reasons):
Daytona = 60
Sebring = 60 (2018)
Watkins Glen = 55 (2018)
Mosport = 50 (!) (2018)
Road America = 55 (2018)
Road Atlanta = 45 (2018)

Last edited by Coach Ep; 2 Jan 2019 at 15:13. Reason: more numbers added
Old 2 Jan 2019, 17:17 (Ref:3873643)   #957
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
According to IMSA's 2018 Supplementary Regulations for the two events Mid-Ohio would hold 43 cars: https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...m-o_042518.pdf

and Laguna Seca 40:

It might get really tight for Laguna (depending on the number of GTD sprint entrants) but with it being later in the year the prospect for a small number of full season/sprint cup entries to drop out is certainly not unrealistic and the issue would solve itself naturally. No need to send anybody home yet (and splitting the field into 2 races is of course also an option).

Edit:
The max. entry numbers for the other tracks (excluding LB, Detroit, Lime Rock and VIR for obvious reasons):
Daytona = 60
Sebring = 60 (2018)
Watkins Glen = 55 (2018)
Mosport = 50 (!) (2018)
Road America = 55 (2018)
Road Atlanta = 45 (2018)
Good numbers crunching! Crazy how CTMP can handle that. Sprint Cup GTD numbers I think could potentially be the key. You got about 3 more months to set up a program for that still. Could get a little mini silly season here during the months of February-April. I feel more can come out on this front. Looks great for the All GT races at Lime Rock and VIR as long as they keep the race green as much as possible. I guess Laguna will most likely get LMP2 dropped considering the limited number you mentioned, plus the travel costs of that round.
Old 2 Jan 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3873650)   #958
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

and Laguna Seca 40:

Edit:
Daytona = 60
Sebring = 60 (2018)
Watkins Glen = 55 (2018)
Mosport = 50 (!) (2018)
Road America = 55 (2018)
Road Atlanta = 45 (2018)
I could not imagine 50 at Mosport, that would be dangerous! However, it would be great to see the max grids at the other tracks.
Old 3 Jan 2019, 01:58 (Ref:3873732)   #959
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Good numbers crunching! Crazy how CTMP can handle that. Sprint Cup GTD numbers I think could potentially be the key. You got about 3 more months to set up a program for that still. Could get a little mini silly season here during the months of February-April. I feel more can come out on this front. Looks great for the All GT races at Lime Rock and VIR as long as they keep the race green as much as possible. I guess Laguna will most likely get LMP2 dropped considering the limited number you mentioned, plus the travel costs of that round.
"Holy Moly!" was my initial reaction when I saw Mosport's number - so much actually I had to look it up again but it really says '50' (check page 3):
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...070218_rev.pdf

I'm guessing that's a bit of an overseen error and probably gets corrected (brought down) for this year (and I wouldn't be surprised to see another 40/low 40 number there as well).

For GTD Sprint Cup I'd expect a lot of the full season entrants to 'pull double duty', my guess is up to 10 out of the probable 15 full season ones. Maybe 3-4 additional, unique entries? Or is the count already higher than that?
Old 3 Jan 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3873834)   #960
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's nice when the team cash, Ben Keating in this case, flips through the retro liveries and says "Hey, I do business with them" and can give the bosses a call. A couple months later, retro livery that might actually look better than the original.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 09:10 (Ref:3874115)   #961
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Atherton
“I hope we see European P2 teams coming, it, that’s been the case in the past,” he added. “It’s surprising that there’s not been as much uptake, because they’re racing for a class win now, and here a class win at Daytona is significant, being a Rolex 24 at Daytona winner is significant.”
Yeah, it's really surprising...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...mp2-class.html
Old 5 Jan 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3874149)   #962
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, yeah a class win is significant .. at Daytona. Leave Daytona and nobody will bother to even yawn about it.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3874154)   #963
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you look at the teams they are targeting, the teams and the class landscape has changed significantly. 2018 only saw 2 European teams go over for LMP2 - JCDC Jota and United Autosports. JCDC Jotas driver structure appears to have changed to a more customer focused one, and United Autosports don't seem to want to travel over for a lower class.

Go back to 2017 and obviously Rebellion and DragonSpeed entered, but they've both moved to LMP1. There are DragonSpeed LMP2 entries around, but the main project is now LMP1. And then 2016 there was SMP, but they're also moved primarily to LMP1.

Of all the teams who went over before, only JCDC are really an option now, and they appear to have changed focus a little. Whilst Europe is overflowing with LMP2 teams, not many are at the level of travelling over the Atlantic for a single race. Those with that sort of capability have moved into LMP1. G-Drive are probably the most likely, but they're more interested in a DPi than a lower class it seems.

If Scott Atherton is surprised at that, he should hand his CV to the ACO. They'll all be surprised not everyone wants to run a hypercar, and everyone can be surprised together!
Old 5 Jan 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3874155)   #964
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If Scott Atherton is surprised at that, he should hand his CV to the ACO. They'll all be surprised not everyone wants to run a hypercar, and everyone can be surprised together!
Old 5 Jan 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3874171)   #965
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
If you look at the teams they are targeting, the teams and the class landscape has changed significantly. 2018 only saw 2 European teams go over for LMP2 - JCDC Jota and United Autosports. JCDC Jotas driver structure appears to have changed to a more customer focused one, and United Autosports don't seem to want to travel over for a lower class.

Go back to 2017 and obviously Rebellion and DragonSpeed entered, but they've both moved to LMP1. There are DragonSpeed LMP2 entries around, but the main project is now LMP1. And then 2016 there was SMP, but they're also moved primarily to LMP1.

Of all the teams who went over before, only JCDC are really an option now, and they appear to have changed focus a little. Whilst Europe is overflowing with LMP2 teams, not many are at the level of travelling over the Atlantic for a single race. Those with that sort of capability have moved into LMP1. G-Drive are probably the most likely, but they're more interested in a DPi than a lower class it seems.

Only so much to go around, personally would love to see privateer teams choose GTD over LMP2. I know I would. Nobody outside of sportscar racing land knows what an "Oreca" is. But many of those GT3 cars do turn heads of the regular person.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3874173)   #966
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We do talk a lot about LMP2 teams making one-off entries, but do PWC teams ever make one-off GTD entries? And if not, why not?
Old 5 Jan 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3874179)   #967
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
We do talk a lot about LMP2 teams making one-off entries, but do PWC teams ever make one-off GTD entries? And if not, why not?
that seems to be rare as well - some teams have gone from one to the other (and back) but I hardly recall a one-off by one or the other.

Pretty sure it's all budget related.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 21:01 (Ref:3874187)   #968
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Mazda into the 1:34's this morning and now in the second session of today so is the WTR Caddy. This pace is nuts and getting close to the best there is around there.
Old 6 Jan 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3874309)   #969
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Cost.

-mike
Old 7 Jan 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3874469)   #970
MaskedRacer
Veteran

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...r-sebring.html

Read about what Perf Tech is considering. Personally I agree with it totally. Hope they make the move. Put LMP2 out of its misery please.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3874486)   #971
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't believe including freight the ELMS season is that much cheaper than IMSA, not that I doubt his numbers more amazed at them. But the entry fee he mentions being as much for Daytona as for the entire ELMS season, that is insane and frankly for LMP2 obscene. I could understand over the course of the season the "marketing fees" plus entry fees being insane but there's no marketing charge for LMP2s is there? Run time on the cars is down to go ELMS with 6 races (6 hours or 4) vs 8 and 3 of those are a combined 46 hours but that still seems like a hella deal at almost 25% cheaper than IMSA for the season and a LOT more cars in the field.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3874513)   #972
Coach Ep
Veteran

PT is seriously underestimating the logistic efforts and P2 competitiveness to run in ELMS, they'll end up being nothing more than grid fillers (with no shot at all at the desirable LM auto invites).

Now, the discussion where to go with P2 is legit - either they get sped up (ACO will more than likely veto that option and DPi manufactures will scream murder) or those same DPi manufacturers will need to be forced to sell/lease out customer cars in order to keep privateers in the series.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3874521)   #973
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
$1.3m USD converts to near enough £1m. That seems amazingly cheap. Actually, seems cheap for IMSA too. That's a good chunk less than any number I've seen before.

Maybe you can run ELMS for that, but as Coach Ep says, you won't do well. Not when you have teams like G-Drive, Signatech, SMP, TDS hanging around.

I understand they don't want to pay a lot of money to race on their own, but I'm not sure ELMS is the answer. More customer DPis is the real answer, but they don't seem to be coming.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3874545)   #974
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
$1.3m USD converts to near enough £1m. That seems amazingly cheap. Actually, seems cheap for IMSA too. That's a good chunk less than any number I've seen before.

Maybe you can run ELMS for that, but as Coach Ep says, you won't do well. Not when you have teams like G-Drive, Signatech, SMP, TDS hanging around.

I understand they don't want to pay a lot of money to race on their own, but I'm not sure ELMS is the answer. More customer DPis is the real answer, but they don't seem to be coming.

Agree, IMSA should force manufacturers to make their previous season chassis available for private teams too.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3874561)   #975
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
PT is seriously underestimating the logistic efforts and P2 competitiveness to run in ELMS, they'll end up being nothing more than grid fillers (with no shot at all at the desirable LM auto invites).
They can't be anything but grid fillers in IMSA anyways.

Daytona alone is as many hours as the entire ELMS season. Just the NAEC is two seasons and one more race worth.