Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jan 2022, 03:54 (Ref:4095796)   #26
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spot on, Alan 52.... in jokes not shared with viewers will see me reach for the off button. Love my motorsport, just not in 'the in crowd'.

Last edited by cavvy; 29 Jan 2022 at 03:55. Reason: typo
Old 16 Mar 2022, 03:28 (Ref:4102704)   #27
cavvy
Veteran

Press reports (Speedcafe) of Barry Rogers wearing his ARG hat, questioning the requirement to run Super2 to get a Superlicence.
Is this an issue for MotorSport Australia?

Rogers is pushing for s5000 as an alternative pathway.

“Really, the people that control our licencing in the country should be looking at an S5000 and realising, ‘hey they are the fastest and most demanding cars that we race in this country and if you can master one of those, you should have every right to be able to get a co-driver role in a Supercar’,” Rogers continued.

“You still need a team to pick you up, it doesn’t mean you’re a walk-up start, but really I think the licencing part of it is certainly something that is holding S5000 back and to be honest with you, if it’s not sorted out, we will probably send the cars offshore.'

Well said Baz.
Old 16 Mar 2022, 06:56 (Ref:4102714)   #28
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
“Really, the people that control our licencing in the country should be looking at an S5000 and realising, ‘hey they are the fastest and most demanding cars that we race in this country and if you can master one of those, you should have every right to be able to get a co-driver role in a Supercar’,” Rogers continued.
Translation: We have pathetic S5000 grids

I would think they want to sort out the driving standards first. Just the pits.
Old 16 Mar 2022, 08:28 (Ref:4102722)   #29
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Translation: We have pathetic S5000 grids

I would think they want to sort out the driving standards first. Just the pits.
Further translation:There is a very limited number of people who are prepared to pay a $30,000 lease to race one of these for a weekend.
There are just about no companies that can see any sort of commercial return on either spending on car sponsorship or series sponsorship that only 7% of households can watch on tv (discounting a 10 minute midweek highlights package).
Old 17 Mar 2022, 10:44 (Ref:4102872)   #30
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Further translation:There is a very limited number of people who are prepared to pay a $30,000 lease to race one of these for a weekend.
There are just about no companies that can see any sort of commercial return on either spending on car sponsorship or series sponsorship that only 7% of households can watch on tv (discounting a 10 minute midweek highlights package).
I'd prefer to note that Rogers is having a go ... getting open wheelers on track is worth the effort. No one is saying its easy, are they?
Old 17 Mar 2022, 20:40 (Ref:4102978)   #31
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'd prefer to note that Rogers is having a go ... getting open wheelers on track is worth the effort. No one is saying its easy, are they?
Of course he is having a go, GRM made them.

But there seem to be significant stability issues that have been there from the start, the current field is too small and crash happy. People dreaming of F5000 or even FHolden are sadly disappointed. Parking it with no audience for his own financial gain, then trying to point the bone at the Superlicence is misdirection.

People should want to race S5000, not end up racing it because they want to go to Supercars.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Mar 2022, 23:24 (Ref:4103008)   #32
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Of course he is having a go, GRM made them.

But there seem to be significant stability issues that have been there from the start, the current field is too small and crash happy. People dreaming of F5000 or even FHolden are sadly disappointed. Parking it with no audience for his own financial gain, then trying to point the bone at the Superlicence is misdirection.

People should want to race S5000, not end up racing it because they want to go to Supercars.

Yes. It will never flourish until people see that it is a good class to compete in and has good spectator appeal. Open wheelers tend to handle too well and because of it they are not spectacular to watch unlike other classes.
Old 17 Mar 2022, 23:42 (Ref:4103011)   #33
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Yes. It will never flourish until people see that it is a good class to compete in and has good spectator appeal. Open wheelers tend to handle too well and because of it they are not spectacular to watch unlike other classes.
Formula Holden was unbelievable when it had such deep talent in the 90s.

Likewise fford and F3 at different times.

All of them were great to watch and the Gold Star meant something!

Old 5 Apr 2022, 04:18 (Ref:4105352)   #34
cavvy
Veteran

I credit the new ownership for allowing Shane Van Gisbergen taking a drive in Trans Am.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 06:25 (Ref:4105362)   #35
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Formula Holden was unbelievable when it had such deep talent in the 90s.

Likewise fford and F3 at different times.

All of them were great to watch and the Gold Star meant something!

Then the question is why did they slide into oblivion if they had so much appeal.
Old 5 Apr 2022, 23:19 (Ref:4105470)   #36
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
I credit the new ownership for allowing Shane Van Gisbergen taking a drive in Trans Am.
It doesn't appear to have had anything to do with it.

Quote:
Then the question is why did they slide into oblivion if they had so much appeal.
as did F5000 and many other categories. Someone was funding it and their objectives were met, and I think for FHolden, overseas trends were followed into F3.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 07:16 (Ref:4105932)   #37
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
It doesn't appear to have had anything to do with it.

as did F5000 and many other categories. Someone was funding it and their objectives were met, and I think for FHolden, overseas trends were followed into F3.
It was pointed out to me some years ago that race categories have a life span of about 15 years. I don't know if that is a valid comment/observation because there are some decades old such as the entry level open wheeler classes.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 08:51 (Ref:4105939)   #38
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
It was pointed out to me some years ago that race categories have a life span of about 15 years. I don't know if that is a valid comment/observation because there are some decades old such as the entry level open wheeler classes.
I would have said even most mainstream categories struggle to get half that!

Old 12 Jul 2022, 09:23 (Ref:4119212)   #39
cavvy
Veteran

An interesting story in The Aus, July 10, business pages.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...3dca84b5376cd7

'The owners of V8 Supercars are understood to be tipping more money into the business after striking a $50m-plus deal to buy the sports events business from private equity firm Archer Capital last year.

Supercars has got off to a flying start this year, with the camping ground sold out for Bathurst in October.

A consortium chaired by the QMS outdoor advertising CEO Barclay Nettlefold purchased Supercars last year for between $50m and $60m.

Sources close to RACE say a suitor recently made an approach to buy Supercars.

However, it is believed existing investors are looking to tip up to $10m into the operation.

They say fan engagement and sponsorship is up, hospitality venues for the sport are full and demand is strong.

The Bathurst event has bookings to accommodate 7500 campers this year, after attracting only 2500 last year.'

Reads as a look for new investors to me, with Bathurst for an announcement.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 03:02 (Ref:4119331)   #40
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
An interesting story in The Aus, July 10, business pages.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...3dca84b5376cd7

'The owners of V8 Supercars are understood to be tipping more money into the business after striking a $50m-plus deal to buy the sports events business from private equity firm Archer Capital last year.

Supercars has got off to a flying start this year, with the camping ground sold out for Bathurst in October.

A consortium chaired by the QMS outdoor advertising CEO Barclay Nettlefold purchased Supercars last year for between $50m and $60m.

Sources close to RACE say a suitor recently made an approach to buy Supercars.

However, it is believed existing investors are looking to tip up to $10m into the operation.

They say fan engagement and sponsorship is up, hospitality venues for the sport are full and demand is strong.

The Bathurst event has bookings to accommodate 7500 campers this year, after attracting only 2500 last year.'

Reads as a look for new investors to me, with Bathurst for an announcement.
If the numbers did not go up from the last two years they would be in deep trouble, they have most probably just returned to something like normal.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 01:49 (Ref:4119987)   #41
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do you take the credit back now?
Old 21 Jul 2022, 02:02 (Ref:4119989)   #42
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Do you take the credit back now?
indeed I do - does it help me knowing the reason I was surprised.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 02:04 (Ref:4119990)   #43
cavvy
Veteran

See Speedcafe have a version of whats happening around the ownership:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/07/21...-takeover-bid/

More in Auto Action
https://autoaction.com.au/2022/07/20...verseas-bidder

Digressing, at the same time Coch0 has announced a round of his supercross event at Docklands Melbourne in October under the roof:

'Following the recent announcement of the British Grand Prix that will mark the first round of the 2022 FIM Supercross World Championship pilot season, the FIM, the promoter SX Global and the Australian Motorcycling Federation are pleased to reveal round two.

The second stop of the series will be held in Melbourne on Friday 21 and Saturday 22 October 2022 following on from round one that will take place on Saturday 8 October 2022 at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

Today, Melbourne has been announced as the exclusive Australian city to secure the rights to host a round of the FIM Supercross World Championship in 2022, 2023 and 2024.

This year, the WSX Australian Grand Prix, will transform Marvel Stadium into the ultimate dirt battlefield for two days of intense competition racing between 10 teams and 40 of the best riders from across the globe.'

Last edited by cavvy; 21 Jul 2022 at 02:17. Reason: Supercross
Old 21 Jul 2022, 09:20 (Ref:4120013)   #44
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that's a pretty sad state of affairs. Sounds like GR is disappointed by the Supercars cohorts for a second time. Should have known better than to get involved in that big bunch of egos.
Old 21 Jul 2022, 22:44 (Ref:4120081)   #45
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Speedcafe has a letter that Garry Rogers has sent to all the Supercar teams.

Makes for some interesting reading - GR being as forthright as always.
Old 22 Jul 2022, 01:23 (Ref:4120089)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Speedcafe has a letter that Garry Rogers has sent to all the Supercar teams.

Makes for some interesting reading - GR being as forthright as always.
Apparently, much to my disappointment upon discovery, you have to get along with people to make stuff happen that wasn’t going to happen anyway.

The lead entity being underfunded is a massive risk.. that this is in public may trigger insolvency tests by existing financiers, and possibly scare off potential new sources of funds.

Plus teams, already seemingly nervous in non-patron teams about commercial sponsorship, cannot be best pleased either. At the state of affairs as reported, and that it was reported..

Mr Cochrane may just bang his platinum American Express card on the table and take the baby he help grow back home…

Please
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Jul 2022, 07:00 (Ref:4120315)   #47
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd think the Roger's are still better to be involved than not involved though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Cochrane may just bang his platinum American Express card on the table and take the baby he help grow back home…

Please
Interesting if he did, would he want to leave the AFL without success under his helm though?
Old 26 Jul 2022, 02:55 (Ref:4120515)   #48
cavvy
Veteran

Mr Cochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

Interesting if he did, would he want to leave the AFL without success under his helm though?
Mr Cochrane has put up for SX Global:
https://au.motorsport.com/supercross...nship/8615258/

They plan to use an AFL owned venue later this year.
Old 26 Jul 2022, 05:14 (Ref:4120522)   #49
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So RACE borrowed the $70million and would be paying interest on that.Do the sums and that’s a lot.
Now they are already running out of money and need to borrow another $10million.
Things don’t seem to be going so swimmingly.
Old 28 Jul 2022, 15:27 (Ref:4120762)   #50
Casper
Veteran

I was never convinced the sums added up, the cash turnover just can't be that good with a dwindling revenue base and the very real prospect of a fall of income from TV contracts in the future. The series simply does not have the cachet it once had no matter how we wish it did. You simply have to look at this forum to see that, races do not get discussed in any substantial way at all compared to times past. Borrowing the money to pay debt has only one ending, how dumb can supposedly intelligent people be?