Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3161115)   #401
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear the latter assertion is correct.

If it weren't a "given" that certain cars would appear year in year out then some of the excess development might not be deemed worth the effort.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3161117)   #402
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I have never understood how it does "improve" the racing. Those genuine historic racing fans attending, and those entrants whose perfectly acceptable cars were turned down, know they are watching a "Goodwood Special" which will not appear again for the rest of the season, and the casual spectators don't know the difference between one car and another.

So why not give everybody "the real McCoy" ? Then we're all happy. Or do large egos need massaging?
Yep, large egos need massaging. But [from a spectator's perspective] what's the problem with that ? If it weren't for these well endowed egos, we wouldn't get to see uber rare priceless machinery being properly peddled by contemporary racing stars.

Another point, from what I understand [from a few coffin dodgers who were prepping cars at the time], breaching the technical regulations was commonplace in period so perversely it almost seems authentic to the spirit of the thing, that people are fiddling with the envelope, albeit in different ways, today.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3161172)   #403
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the original stars were not as capable as todays?
As for the uber expensive cars-who is responsible for the false prices we see today?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3161204)   #404
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
F+*$ing hell Terence, are you on the same tablets as Al?

cheating is older than cars, its scientificallly known as evolution, I believe.

the older/wealthier the participant gets, the more radical his methods.

I'm not aware of anyone who's managed to win anything by bothering any mythical upstairs types
Old 1 Nov 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3161212)   #405
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Those genuine historic racing fans attending......know they are watching a "Goodwood Special" which will not appear again for the rest of the season, and the casual spectators don't know the difference between one car and another.
Jeeeeee-zusssssss I didn't know I had to be Appx K approved just to flaming *watch* Historic Motorsport! So the cars at Goodwood aren't genuine enough for the purists and now so it seems the spectators aren't either

Seriously, that's a bit patronising....anyone interested in cars can tell the difference between e.g. a Newey and an E-Type, and the Grey Lady was exciting precisely because it was "wrong". A35s taking on Jags? what the hell, most people realise it may not have happened in period but just sit back and enjoy it!

Personally GW isn't my cup of tea but that is because of the fancy dress party, not the racing.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3161229)   #406
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I find it disturbing as well, just imagine how badly some people must dress on a week day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Personally GW isn't my cup of tea but that is because of the fancy dress party, not the racing.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3161266)   #407
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I actually enjoy the whole thing including the "razzmatazz", although it's a victim of its own success with the crowds so large that you can't just walk about.
It reminds me of Brands Hatch in the 60s where you had to fight to find and hold a place to watch !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 1 Nov 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3161270)   #408
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
So the original stars were not as capable as todays?
As for the uber expensive cars-who is responsible for the false prices we see today?
What do you mean by "false prices"?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3161274)   #409
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Shuckburgh View Post
The whole being disproportionally great in comparison to the sum of the parts, perhaps...?
Old 2 Nov 2012, 07:01 (Ref:3161435)   #410
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Clive,exactly that.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3161457)   #411
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
The whole being disproportionally great in comparison to the sum of the parts, perhaps...?
If I understand you correctly, are you saying a Rembrandt is overpriced because it sells for more than the cost of the paint and the canvas plus a bit of time to daub one on the other? If not, I still don't understand what's "false" about the prices - they are what people are willing to pay.
Old 2 Nov 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3161517)   #412
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
But what if some/most of these cars were not as successful in "Historic Racing"?
Old 2 Nov 2012, 23:01 (Ref:3161731)   #413
midgetman
Veteran

Caveat emptor.....
Old 4 Nov 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3162208)   #414
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

A price is defined at the very moment a seller and a buyer agree to one.
This than happens to be the current market price until the next actual sale.

Be careful not to confuse valid actually paid prices with unpaid sky high asking prices especially in adverts for cars and houses.

"False" prices are a delusion of either buyers or sellers who happen to dislike the current market price.

nuff said

Rudolf
Old 4 Nov 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3162253)   #415
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
A price is defined at the very moment a seller and a buyer agree to one.
This than happens to be the current market price until the next actual sale.

Be careful not to confuse valid actually paid prices with unpaid sky high asking prices especially in adverts for cars and houses.

"False" prices are a delusion of either buyers or sellers who happen to dislike the current market price.

nuff said

Rudolf
That's what I too understand to be real prices. Just not sure what Terence meant by "false" ones......a "real" price and therefore value is what the market says it is. If the market supports it, then that is not false.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3162262)   #416
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's what I too understand to be real prices. Just not sure what Terence meant by "false" ones......a "real" price and therefore value is what the market says it is. If the market supports it, then that is not false.
Think I am aware of what Terence means, being at the moment involved on the edge of 'a deal' The price asked, is not even a tiddly little bit anywhere near to what the buyer is prepared to pay, cars are not selling, and the inducements being offered to relieve the buyer of their hard earnt folding are fast approaching what must have been offered to the buyer of the 8K sheepdog, the Luck paid at a historic car auction, will be somewhere near the same.

I have to admit that the 'joke' cars that are appearing at Goodwood are getting a little too numerous, but then so is some of the 'period clothing'.
Will stil be there net year....
Old 4 Nov 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3162395)   #417
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
OK,so change False for over inflated. Some prices being asked for non historic vehicles are simply just not worth the asking price-cheaper to build new from scratch. As history seems to count for zero these days.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3162442)   #418
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
OK,so change False for over inflated. Some prices being asked for non historic vehicles are simply just not worth the asking price-cheaper to build new from scratch. As history seems to count for zero these days.
Historic-looking rather than historic. Maybe they should have a race for Beauford wedding cars.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3162516)   #419
midgetman
Veteran

"Asked" is the key word isn't it? Are they being "got"?

To make history count for anything, historic races would have to be only for original cars. That surely will mean a diminishing pool of racers as age takes its toll, especially as the great and good of the historic community have decided that anything after 1965 isnt real historic racing. which will in turn drive prices up further.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3162613)   #420
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Knowing a few of the fancy historic car second hand car salesmen I am aware of what they are asked for.
People want cars for Goodwood,M M,Monaco,Tour Auto and not much else.
That increases the price of those cars.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3162766)   #421
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Knowing a few of the fancy historic car second hand car salesmen I am aware of what they are asked for.
People want cars for Goodwood,M M,Monaco,Tour Auto and not much else.
That increases the price of those cars.
They're not interested in proper racing then,,just media hyped jollies.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 18:07 (Ref:3162973)   #422
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this discussion on race car prices has moved away from Goodwood and warrants a seperate thread

Rudolf
Old 5 Nov 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3163003)   #423
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Costs of cars discussion started due to Goodwood.
Can't understand why people get worked up about the effect the major meetings have on car
car prices .
People want to do the meetings rather than the run of the mill stuff .If they have the dosh why not and why do people get envious about it because that's what it sounds like to me.
All this anti stuff because of supposed superioty complex is nonsense .
Old 5 Nov 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3163028)   #424
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Costs of cars discussion started due to Goodwood.
Can't understand why people get worked up about the effect the major meetings have on car
car prices .
People want to do the meetings rather than the run of the mill stuff .If they have the dosh why not and why do people get envious about it because that's what it sounds like to me.
All this anti stuff because of supposed superioty complex is nonsense .

I completely agree with You - and have said here before - that prices are to a large extent event driven.
People want to buy cars that get them into the events that they want to do, the applies to racing, ralleying and even concours events.

Cars that You cant do much with, for instance Edwardians, see less interest that thes used to enjoy.

Just a fact of life and not intrinsically wrong.
You cant force people to buy cars that they dont want.
And You cant force the sellers to ask less than going rate.

The advocates of pure grassroots historic racing have the 750 MC, for instance.
Historic Super Vee cars are - to my knowledge - still very very cheap.
Also the HSCC tries to keep racing affordable and fair.
Run by members for members.
there are more clubs like that out there...

Rudolf