Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Nov 2007, 16:02 (Ref:2058661)   #26
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
.....but having said that, I'd be interested to know if anybody here has plans to run a Lotus - any model - at LMC.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2058715)   #27
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,can you not bring the RS forward a couple of years?
Next year would be absolutly spot on cos I've had this idea,it's about Spa!
Old 4 Nov 2007, 01:33 (Ref:2058999)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They ran three at Le Mans 73. They had more at Spa but they weren't all works cars.

Terry. No.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 19:56 (Ref:2064600)   #29
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was down as a 2nd driver in Jim Woodleys Lotus 17 in 2007. The car was not finnished in time so was a big let down for me. I hope we get the chance in 2008 will be a dream come true if it comes off.
Old 11 Nov 2007, 20:17 (Ref:2065153)   #30
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I assume you mean 2006?
Old 12 Nov 2007, 21:34 (Ref:2066013)   #31
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry chaps getting muddled up with the support race before 24 hour. I am nearing 20years running cars for drivers and have only once gone too the wrong track with the owners car. Not bad ey. I could tell you the whole story but would go one for a while. We have a laugh about it now but driver was not to happy at the time. PS we still run his car for him.
Old 12 Nov 2007, 23:09 (Ref:2066098)   #32
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
You will have to go to Classic as the support race is for those Group C things
Old 13 Nov 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2066453)   #33
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
they're not my favourite either John !
Old 13 Nov 2007, 12:30 (Ref:2066500)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well at the risk of sounding contraversial I love 'em! Last proper Le Mans cars IMHO
but then I also love Group 6, 4, 60's and 50's so that probably doesnt help!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 13:23 (Ref:2066545)   #35
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Yes,you do have some unusual likes and dislikes!
What's a real Le Mans car,GT40. 917 or those run of the mill Groupe C
Problem is with Group C at Historic meetings that as a groupe they take over paddocks and act like junior F1 teams with their fancy transporters,motorhomes.gangs of mechanics etc.
Probably they are good to watch but if you are involved with your own cars you usually do not watch any other racing.
That is why there is so much difference in the views of those who watch and those who are directly involved.Simon has time to do both!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 13:38 (Ref:2066555)   #36
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
to be honest I have only seen Group C in recent times as a support for Le Mans so you are right I wasnt competing! however I have several friends who drove them in period with a fair amount of success and I cannot help but have a large degree of admiration for them as these where seriously quick cars and the racing superb. Sadly I think the main criticism of the historic Group C racing is that only about the top 10 cars are racing and the rest are pretty much demonstrating only.
I have to be honest Le Mans Classic (especially the night races) does not hold much interest as I have been told by those who have done it that the vast variation in driving standards/abilities make it at best scary at worst dangerous
Old 13 Nov 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2066568)   #37
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Simon same post as two years ago!Seems those who do not want to drive in the dark don't and let their co-driver get on with it.The driving standards were much better last time apart from grid 6 and that was the first time they had been involved.Its the forth time and like the 6 hr race it has/will find it necessary to ensure people do not drive like prats.The main advantage of 8 mile circuit is you do not find that many people to trip over in 50 mins.
Believe most grids oversubscribed for next year so someone likes it and I dont need to pose in kanackered clothes!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 13:59 (Ref:2066571)   #38
simon drabble
Veteran

hahaha point well made!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:22 (Ref:2066591)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Night driving has alway's been my of my liking's,can't see that there's a difference between Spa and Le Mans really.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:24 (Ref:2066594)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the Thing I don't like about group C and post 70ish F1 is that owners seem to find it impossible to attend and compete without bringing half of Oxfordshire with them. I thought the idea was to do your prep before you left for a race ?

example . . .1970's F1 car will race nearly 2 hours being driven in anger by a professional driver.

the cars now are probably in better condition than when they where new

Now the owners have to have a full team of guys strip and check everything after a 15 minute practice, then again after a 20 minute race. thereby necessitating half of Oxfordshires engineers, and the other half for 'additional support staff'
Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2066600)   #41
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Night driving has alway's been my of my liking's .
likewise, although I've yet to race at night, 10 years of 25w 6V lambretta riding gave me good night vision

[QUOTE=can't see that there's a difference between Spa and Le Mans really.[/QUOTE]

a few hills ?
Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2066601)   #42
simon drabble
Veteran

I think the quick ones have less staff......
Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:31 (Ref:2066603)   #43
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
likewise, although I've yet to race at night, 10 years of 25w 6V lambretta riding gave me good night vision

a few hills ?

Where ?
Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:35 (Ref:2066606)   #44
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
theres a 0.05% incline to the chicane before the Dunlop Bridge at LeMans
Old 13 Nov 2007, 15:28 (Ref:2066633)   #45
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
they're not my favourite either John !
I like them because for me they are my souvenirs/sweet memories of spectating at the Le Mans/Spa races when I was 18. the Jags (Jan Lammers ofcourse) , the courages, the spice, sauber Kouros et etc. Well and then I can have a little bit the same feeling of what other historic racers feel remembering their youth when we race our sixties cars
Old 13 Nov 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2066674)   #46
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
I like them because for me they are my souvenirs/sweet memories of spectating at the Le Mans/Spa races when I was 18. the Jags (Jan Lammers ofcourse) , the courages, the spice, sauber Kouros et etc. Well and then I can have a little bit the same feeling of what other historic racers feel remembering their youth when we race our sixties cars
Thats the very reason I don't like them!

Having seen then driven in anger at every Le mans that catered for them in period, I felt very sad when i saw them a few years ago as support for the 24hrs.

I bit like seeing a girl you were in love with at school, only to meet her again 10 years later and find she is 20st wears leggings and drives a 20 year Astra.

I prefer the memories.

Having said that I plan to miss the june race for the first time since 1980 and visit the classic instead next year.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 17:44 (Ref:2066695)   #47
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Thats the very reason I don't like them!

Having seen then driven in anger at every Le mans that catered for them in period, I felt very sad when i saw them a few years ago as support for the 24hrs.

I bit like seeing a girl you were in love with at school, only to meet her again 10 years later and find she is 20st wears leggings and drives a 20 year Astra.

I prefer the memories.

Having said that I plan to miss the june race for the first time since 1980 and visit the classic instead next year.
thats the good thing about the human mind. we romantisise (?) about the past and forget the bad things and keep the good ones as fond memories. Well old girls get other good qualities you should apreciate just like classic Le Mans racers. The Mazdas will never again scream as they did then. The Saubers will never hammer again as they used to. Just be happy to see them as they are now and get used to it (was I talking about old girls or...)

and if you don't like it , don't go and see your old school love again. don't forget you yourself won't be that GOOD as you were
Old 15 Jan 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2106664)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

First letters today with web on Monay 21st Jan.Thats the plan I am told
Old 16 Jan 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2107293)   #49
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I think the quick ones have less staff......
I think the quick ones ARE staff!
Old 16 Jan 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2107314)   #50
simon drabble
Veteran

haha that is in several cases true!