Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 Aug 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3290708)   #276
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just spotted this video on You Tube and thought it might be of interest to some of you, its a look at this years Impreza GR rallycross car for the GRC...

http://youtu.be/Pl4rsfHMMaI

...Subaru seem to have closed up the technical divide with competition this year: the current GR Impreza looks a lot closer to its rivals (in terms of specification) than previous iterations.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3300262)   #277
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excuse the double post, but interesting article up on Bybillwood.com.

http://www.bybillwood.com/gmgrc-soni...b_source=pubv1

Old 11 Sep 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3301923)   #278
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the triple post chaps, but interesting news from the Subaru camp:

http://www.bybillwood.com/mirra-wont-be-in-subaru-at-charlotte-grc/

Mirra is out of the team. Just need to get shot of Lasek now, then thats two seats free for some more experienced drivers.

I daresay the cars may still be less developed than their rivals, but surely bringing some stronger talent in would help.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3302141)   #279
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
How about hiring back Petter Solberg...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3302869)   #280
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://rallycross360.com/dave-mirra-...d-from-subaru/

This says he's still racing at Charlotte, just in a different car. Any thoughts? The article says it could be a Mini.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 10:16 (Ref:3303255)   #281
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Dodge Dart so far used by Bryce Menzies...?
Old 17 Sep 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3305087)   #282
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Just seen it confirmed on Facebook by ERC24, Mirra in the Prodrive MINI:

Just seen this on Facebook as well:

Verdier in a Sonic?
Old 17 Sep 2013, 14:58 (Ref:3305256)   #283
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Verdier on a Scion tC? I'd prefer the Hackiroku, but still...
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3308593)   #284
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isachsen has still not used his new car in GRC ..
Old 24 Sep 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3308604)   #285
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Isachsen has still not used his new car in GRC ..
He hasn't? Are they saving it for next year then?
Old 24 Sep 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3308607)   #286
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
He hasn't? Are they saving it for next year then?
The last round for some reason
Old 27 Sep 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3310072)   #287
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
There might be two Minis in the next round: http://www.prodrive.com/p_releases.html?id=413
Old 3 Oct 2013, 18:04 (Ref:3312456)   #288
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
ESPN has decided to stop the overseas events- http://www.sportbusiness.com/sportbu...ope-and-brazil

Wonder what this means for GRC?
Old 3 Oct 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3312460)   #289
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Wow, I can't believe that the global expansion failed so epically.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3312521)   #290
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
To be honest, I can. None of the tracks were ideal- too much crashing. It's a shame though. I would have liked to see it do well.

It's not just the Rallycross they've stopped- there will be no X-games outside of the USA.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 08:09 (Ref:3312646)   #291
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I wouldn't have said it was an "epic" failure, there has been a degree of success to some of the events.

As Distracted says though, some of the tracks were not ideal and/or local conditions conspired against them (specifically thinking of Spain).

As a spectator though, the first corner carnage has been a repeat source of frustration. I really hope they downsize the grids (or seriously re-think the track design) for 2014.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3312714)   #292
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do actually think some of the events were watcahble, there seemed to be a genuine interest, and even cynics like me started getting into it.

But it seems they were very expensive to run and didnt make any moneyso they dropped it instantly, so it might not ahve been marketed very well either.

Lets be honest buiding a track in the middle of Brazil was not the best idea!! Must have cost a fortune and for what?

I dont like GRC as it is basically a one make series really.

But the damage situation has never been resolved and seems to be encouraged with the track designs!
Old 4 Oct 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3312717)   #293
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
I think GRC could be a really good series if they could just get their acts together. There's some super competitive new cars coming through (like the Mini). It's just such a shame that the tracks don't give the drivers a chance at a fair race.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3312722)   #294
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also remember this is more about ESPN dropping international X Games as opposed to GRC.

I will place a bet that rallycross will not feature in X Games but it will be replaced by Gymkhana Grid. Look at the history of X Games - very few racing events left; Grid is really easy to understand (!); very cheap to set-up; has lots of tire smoke and the occasional crash into something.

Among the X Games audience, rallycross has become a little boring without the gap jump and even they don't like the tracks.

So GRC moves to US focus (good thing) but will take on more events (bad). Until they improve driving standards, the cost of competing is far too high for the exposure offered. They now have to focus on keeping ESPN.

Mark
Old 4 Oct 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3312738)   #295
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So finally it would appear that certain people are realising that rallycross is not and should never been marketed as an extreme sport. From very early on I voiced a concern that not only was the gap jump dangerous but that it would become the main focus and for the new US fans it would not be rallycross without it. I fear that because of a few trying to make a quick buck by going for the extreme sport market it may kill any chance of rallycross becoming a big and successful form of Motorsport in the US.
Old 4 Oct 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3312749)   #296
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Also remember this is more about ESPN dropping international X Games as opposed to GRC.

I will place a bet that rallycross will not feature in X Games but it will be replaced by Gymkhana Grid. Look at the history of X Games - very few racing events left; Grid is really easy to understand (!); very cheap to set-up; has lots of tire smoke and the occasional crash into something.

Among the X Games audience, rallycross has become a little boring without the gap jump and even they don't like the tracks.

So GRC moves to US focus (good thing) but will take on more events (bad). Until they improve driving standards, the cost of competing is far too high for the exposure offered. They now have to focus on keeping ESPN.

Mark
Do you think it's the driving that's the problem?
Old 5 Oct 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3313164)   #297
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post

Really? I thought that fans preferred 10 cars bumping each other like it's the end of the world, over two cars drifting alone.

I like both things (my motorsport tastes are very wide). But rallycross sounds more extreme than gymkhana.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 16:02 (Ref:3313186)   #298
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Gymkhana is boring.

I will not miss the X-Games events and I think it's a good thing for GRC. Hopefully they add some non oval tracks to the GRC schedule.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3313191)   #299
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fully agree! Gymkhana is boring, Drifting even more.
Old 5 Oct 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3313223)   #300
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
I don't mind a bit of Gymkhana, but watching it all of the time would get dull. Drifting's not my thing, though I can appreciate the skills those drivers have.

Does anyone know why GRC isn't using Pikes Peak in Colorado any more? They seemed to have have a pretty decent track there a few years ago. (2011?) I know GRC are trying to tie rallycross in with NASCAR but from what I've seen those tracks aren't working out too well this year.