Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1616424)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Control tyre contract 2008-on

Bids being taken now,anyone interested. http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~FIA...~id~130768.htm
Old 22 May 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1616544)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bring back Goodyear!

I pray most of all for Kwik-Fit tyres. The exposure for their woeful budget tyres would be unprecedented.
Old 22 May 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1616682)   #3
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Englebert!!!!!!!!
Old 22 May 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1616706)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Avon!!
Old 22 May 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1616711)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Pirelli would be cool (or are they owned by another?).
Old 22 May 2006, 23:29 (Ref:1616712)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
Bring back Englebert!!!!!!!!
I didn't even know he was ill.
Old 22 May 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1616713)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Pirelli would be cool (or are they owned by another?).
Pirelli supply the (control?) tyres for world super bikes,so i reckon they're on their own.
Old 23 May 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1617040)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
More info.http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16851.html
Old 23 May 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1617071)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bridgestone would seem the most logical choice, IMO. They do after all supply the GP2 series with slick tyres which just happen to be identical in dimensions to those of Formula One. The tyres that GP2 use would be perfect for F1 and would cut costs as they are already a proven tyre and therefore would require less testing than those of a completly new car. Remember, GP2 cars are identical to F1 in terms of dimensions, if not technically. They also aren't that far away on the power side of things with the engines knocking out just over 600bhp. Also I doubt the costs would increase as much as having a new tyre supplier enter the championship would, why? Logistics, Bridgestone are already with the F1 circus and I cant help thinking it woudnt cost them as much to transport more tyres for F1 as it would for a manufacturer new to F1. Initally at least.

Still I guess this isnt too likely to happen as it makes too much sense financially. If the FIA are serious about cutting costs though it must surely be one option that they are looking very closely at. IMO.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 23 May 2006 at 12:04.
Old 23 May 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1617243)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
However, that decision would be evidence of a FIA conspiracy to help Ferrari.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1617256)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
However, that decision would be evidence of a FIA conspiracy to help Ferrari.
Indeed,so it might be a good idea if they used the Firestone brand name.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1617259)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Nah, Firestone should be kept for Indy only.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1617267)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Nah, Firestone should be kept for Indy only.
So we'll just have to put up with the conspiracy theories then won't we.
Old 23 May 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1617276)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Oh, sorry, was using the Firestone branding a serious suggestion? My mistake.

Would it really work though? It woiuldn't exactly be subtle...or would it be one of these things that only the likes of us would realise it was Bridgestone-in-disguise?

I guess if it could dupe the viewer at large it may well be an idea.
Old 23 May 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1617481)   #15
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Are the GP2 tires the same dimensions as the current F1 tires? Aren't the tires supposed to be of a different dimension (even wheel size) for 2008? If the answer is yes to both of these, then how will Bridgestones (in 2008) be an advantage for the current Bridgestone runners when that season comes? Just think of the last 2 years of Ferrari/Bridgestone; same tyre dimensions/type, yet when they had to last all race they were turdz compared to the year before. I think the Bridgestone runners advantage come 2008 is overstated. Wouldn't it be cool they all got bid snookered by Kuhmo
Old 23 May 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1617493)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Yup, the dimensions do change a bit for 2008. I forgot about that.

I had never really considered 2008 an advantage at the worst of times anyway, seeing as the teams would have had 2007.

It is 2007 where the question mark can be put.
Old 24 May 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1618034)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just read another article about this, here.

"The tyres will be tested and developed by the top five teams who will each be invited to do 1000km of testing with the new tyres."

does this strike anyone as strange? is it a one time thing just to get the 2008 tires ready or will this be the process every year?

its not a problem for the back of the grid teams as they are rarely in a position financially to contribute to pre season/ winter testing in regards to their tire supplier, but what about the mid fielders?

not being able to test and have input into the construction of the tires will surley be just another disadvantage that will keep them from competiting with the big money spenders. its not just the lack of competition that a one tire supplier formula that bothers me, but rather that if they are going to go this way why not force the company that wins the contract to treat everyone as equals, i.e. let all teams have equal input.
Old 25 May 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1618311)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
just read another article about this, here.

"The tyres will be tested and developed by the top five teams who will each be invited to do 1000km of testing with the new tyres."

does this strike anyone as strange? is it a one time thing just to get the 2008 tires ready or will this be the process every year?

its not a problem for the back of the grid teams as they are rarely in a position financially to contribute to pre season/ winter testing in regards to their tire supplier, but what about the mid fielders?

not being able to test and have input into the construction of the tires will surley be just another disadvantage that will keep them from competiting with the big money spenders. its not just the lack of competition that a one tire supplier formula that bothers me, but rather that if they are going to go this way why not force the company that wins the contract to treat everyone as equals, i.e. let all teams have equal input.
I agree with you. If the mid fielders are good enough to compete in races, then they should be allowed to give their feedback as far as the tyres are concerned.